Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone truly answer why we are offering all these very low rated players? I'm not very confident in our recruiting right now. Nearly all the highly rated players we were "in a good spot" for we have lost some traction with. Not saying the class will be bad. Just doesn't seem like it's going to be all that good at the moment.
We have like 400 offers out. VQ guys said Pruitt is huge on seeing kids in person, anyone he thinks may have potential. Offers seem to get them here.
Consider it a fancy invitation to camp so that he can judge in person.

Anything else is just reading too much into it.

Was it @Devo182 that mentioned earlier (yesterday) about the small DL rotation we had going last year? Or @901LookAlive ?

I'm looking more into it, and I think I can revise my own thoughts and expectations. I overestimated Bain and Kongbo, and to some degree Shy.

Basically Kongbo didn't do much before getting injured, Bain was a space-eater at best, and Shy was consistently average-to-good with a few flashes of brilliance.

It'll be intriguing to watch how deep the DL rotation goes this year.

Not I. Fwiw Kongbo was an OLB last year. Bain hardly played. Though I believe he blocked a kick...? Maybe Auburn. He is still legendary in my book.

Dont see how we will be anything but a pair and a spare this year and that is with solomon. Gooden and solomon are the only trustworthy guys right now, with hoping savion is too. I see zero trustworthy depth right now and really only gooden has proven to "flash" to this point and be a disruptor.

We have like 400 offers out. VQ guys said Pruitt is huge on seeing kids in person, anyone he thinks may have potential. Offers seem to get them here.
Consider it a fancy invitation to camp so that he can judge in person.

Anything else is just reading too much into it.

That, and some of these kids won't be lowly 3*s come November. Butch seemed to offer anyone who was bigger than he was. CJP and company actually have an eye for evaluations.

That, and some of these kids won't be lowly 3*s come November. Butch seemed to offer anyone who was bigger than he was. CJP and company actually have an eye for evaluations.
Yep. Think the trend of kids getting other offers, shortly after ours, is going to keep growing.

And I mean a lot.

Not I.

Dont see how we will be anything but a pair and a spare this year and that is with solomon. Gooden and solomon are the only trustworthy guys right now, with hoping savion is too. I see zero trustworthy depth right now and really only gooden has proven to "flash" to this point and be a disruptor.

Most confidence to least:

Gooden

Savion/Solomon

Butler/Mincey/Middleton

Harris/Emerson

Garland

Obviously, Williams and Middleton aren't on campus yet. I don't know how to qualify my thoughts there, just pure conjecture. The more we rotate Butler/Mincey/Middleton/anyone else, the better we'll be. We can only hope that those guys are ready to play mistake-free football.

Reactions: Devo182
Not I. Fwiw Kongbo was an OLB last year. Bain hardly played. Though I believe he blocked a kick...? Maybe Auburn. He is still legendary in my book.

Bain blocked what what have been surely a game winning field goal at the UT / Georgia Tech kick-off game in 2017. The game where we had our Defensive Line backed up 3 yards off the LOS and let their true freshman QB look like the second coming of Tommy Frazier

They are doing that but all three are different families and the one who passed today has the gene and rest of family will test. The relative has tested as well. Good advice.
Glad they’re getting it. There’s a lot of preventive things you can do to reduce risk for cancers. My wife works in genetic mutations so I’ve picked up a good general base from listening to her.

Which teams would we lose to if we went 7-5?

Bama
UGA
???
???
???

I ain't losing to Pansybilt anymore.

Reality is win and loss predictions are more probabilistic than binary. Nothing is 100% or 0%.

I'd say odds of losing are:

Bama, uga - high probability (90%)
uf
- good probability (75%)
mizzou, usc, miss st
- flip a coin (50%)
vandy, byu, uk
- some chance of loss (30%)
uab, ga st, chatt -
combined (5%)

This equals 5 losses.

What are you even talking about lol
YOU said if you ended up wrong that you would PERSONALLY write him an apology note. Using message board sign language, I’m telling you that it would confuse him even more than what you’re pretending. Cuz he has no idea who the **** you are. Maybe give it to De1Conley and let him explain that a hot aired video guy for the Jets said something on a message board and you thought he’d have heard about it.

YOU said if you ended up wrong that you would PERSONALLY write him an apology note. Using message board sign language, I’m telling you that it would confuse him even more than what you’re pretending. Cuz he has no idea who the **** you are. Maybe give it to De1Conley and let him explain that a hot aired video guy for the Jets said something on a message board and you thought he’d have heard about it.

Number one: It was a tongue in cheek comment. I never claimed to know him or he friends with him. If i were friends with him or even knew him i wouldn’t constantly say i think he’s a mediocre OC that is ridiculously over paid.

Number two: it’s funny you personally attack people for things outside of sports like someone’s jobs or social circle. That screams that you are a miserable person outside of this message board and begging for a better paying job and/or one that you actually like and can be proud of.

Feel free to use ol Uncle Hank as a reference next time you apply somewhere.

AL.com All-Access: 5 bold SEC football predictions for 2019

“2. Tennessee will be the most-improved team in the conference

The Volunteers obviously have a lot of room to get better in 2019 after going 5-7 a year ago (and losing to Vanderbilt for the third straight year), but they showed signs of a breakthrough in Jeremy Pruitt’s first season. Tennessee scored wins over bowl teams Auburn and Kentucky, and had a near-miss vs. South Carolina. I think the Volunteers take the next step this fall, going 9-3 by sweeping through their non-conference slate of Georgia State, BYU, Chattanooga and UAB, then finishing 5-3 in the SEC. Tennessee will beat Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri and Vanderbilt, but lose to Florida, Georgia and Alabama”
I think we beat UGA but lose to Mizzou

Number one: It was a tongue in cheek comment. I never claimed to know him or he friends with him. If i were friends with him or even knew him i wouldn’t constantly say i think he’s a mediocre OC that is ridiculously over paid.

Number two: it’s funny you personally attack people for things outside of sports like someone’s jobs or social circle. That screams that you are a miserable person outside of this message board and begging for a better paying job and/or one that you actually like and can be proud of.

Feel free to use ol Uncle Hank as a reference next time you apply somewhere.
Oh please with the amateur analysis. You declare things on here with a really officious manner. Is this board your “social circle”? If so? Fix yourself. My original comment’s intent was light hearted as well. Visual image of Chaney trying to decipher WHO exactly was apologizing to him for comments on WHAT message board was funny to me.

Very happy with my life situation and job but if I wasn’t, I’m positive that floating the name of some young guy who calls himself Uncle Hank is a sure way not to land it. 😉

If you were the national champs last year your playcalling decision was:
Clemson.jpg

Given more consistency in rushing over the wide variance and unpredictability in passing, this is a pretty marginal decision either way. Can't really go wrong with either decision. On the turnover side, they lost 9 fumbles and 8 interceptions. Again, no real difference. They passed 48% of the time and ran 52%.

If you were UT last year your playcalling decision was:
UT.jpg

A WHOPPING 4.2 YPP margin between our 2 options. Furthermore, we lost 11 fumbles and had 5 interceptions.

Despite all of this, we decided to run approximately 6 out of every 10 plays. Really mind boggling when you think about how big a disadvantage it was for us to run.

I really hope Chaney has more common sense than our playcaller last year did. We absolutely killed ourselves with a run heavy offense and rarely gave ourselves a chance to succeed because of it. Leaning on plays that only gain you 3.7 YPP and lead to 1 turnover a game is just simply a losing formula. Many people say Chaney leans on the personnel and what they are good at. I think he will quickly figure out a better play distribution and give us a chance to succeed this year. And/or I just hope our rushing offense is light years better. If we aren't gaining at least 4.5 YPC then we need to really rethink if we need to be running much at all. The NFL is already trending toward passing more and more and more and have shown why it is optimal for many teams. College is a bit different, but if we can't run well we certainly shouldn't shame Chaney for being "pass happy" when it is a perfectly fine strategy and even optimal in many situations. But again, I would be most ecstatic if we could simply run like Clemson or Oklahoma did last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back