Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got so much flak for saying it came down to this.

Now Rick says it directly.

Seriously, I don’t want him. All that means is that if someone else comes and does offer to pay the buyout next year, he’ll be gone. What does that say to recruits? I wish he would’ve left

Seriously, I don’t want him. All that means is that if someone else comes and does offer to pay the buyout next year, he’ll be gone. What does that say to recruits? I wish he would’ve left
I appreciate the honesty about how close it was that is refreshing but don't bring divine intervention into it.

as one that gave you a lot of flack....all i can say is....i'm glad they didn't work it out then.
Yeah, for sure. But the way he’s almost bragging about it rubs me the wrong way.

He’s the best coach we’ve ever had and it’s good to keep him here.

But, let’s say the roles were reversed, how mad do UCLA fans have to be? They had their top two targets (besides Calipari) - Jamie Dixon and Rick Barnes - in the bag had they not gone cheap at the last minute.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Yeah, for sure. But the way he’s almost bragging about it rubs me the wrong way.

But, let’s say the roles were reversed, how mad do UCLA fans have to be? They had their top two targets (besides Calipari) - Jamie Dixon and Rick Barnes - in the bag had they not gone cheap at the last minute.
But we already know how UCLA fans feel

yep. and i can see that angle.

i still say if he was really angling to leave Tennessee, he'd of found a way to do it, regardless of the buy out. to me, it's more of a "i'm in a good situation here...but if there's what i think to be a better situation, i'm going to listen"

and in the end it wasn't. point being, he didn't have to do anything, he had leverage, either way. and ultimatley, he got what he wanted from TN.

but i can see people getting rubbed the wrong way.

as for being rubbed the wrong way for UCLA, we've been on that end of that equatino before. Gary Patterson probably would have come here, but we didn't step up and make that happen when that opporutnity was there (ty very much mike hamilton). i doubt TCU fans were upset we screwed that up.....or same with Wash State fans.....they're probalby still thinking the good lord we messed up that whole Mike Leach deal. and let's not forget Kiffin...

so, again, if you are rubbed teh wrong way, fine. i guess i can see why. but we've been thru this before, and i still say we did what we should have done here, even if the final straw was simply taking advantage of something UCLA screwed up.

and i dont' think it hurts recruiting at all....i had that argument with someone else, and there are simply too many, very good, counters to any negative recruiting angles made.

We hire mercenaries and people expect loyalty? C'mon guys. The man's in business. We're in business. I think the same thing applies to Pruitt. I understood hiring Tee Martin as a receiver's coach. He has a lot of chops in that area. But we also gave him the title of Passing Game Coordinator. I figure that was so we could pay him more money. So why did we go further and name him the Assistant Head Coach? Maybe because he is possibly the only guy on our staff that could plausibly have some loyalty to our university. jmo.

We hire mercenaries and people expect loyalty? C'mon guys. The man's in business. We're in business. I think the same thing applies to Pruitt. I understood hiring Tee Martin as a receiver's coach. He has a lot of chops in that area. But we also gave him the title of Passing Game Coordinator. I figure that was so we could pay him more money. So why did we go further and name him the Assistant Head Coach? Maybe because he is possibly the only guy on our staff that could plausibly have some loyalty to our university. jmo.
That’s all fine. But you better believe people would be pissed if Pruitt said the only reason he didn’t go to, say, Auburn, is because they didn’t want to pay all of his buyout.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
If his new recruiting pitch is "I tried to get out but the buyout got me",
He's gonna have to hire a Niedermeyer. 🤔
i think it probably had more to do with what Rick Barnes perceives the UCLA basketball program to be than anything else.

but that perception couldn't have been all it's cracked up to be, if the buyout was the thing that made him say "no thanks".

that at least tells you he knows he has a good thing here.....and wasn't just going to leave because he was looking to leave.

if he wanted out, he'd of got out....again, i think it was a matter of having the ability to choose one, or the other....and if the buy out was number one on his list of cons against UCLA, that doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't a lot on his list of pro's for Tennessee....

i think it probably had more to do with what Rick Barnes perceives the UCLA basketball program to be than anything else.

but that perception couldn't have been all it's cracked up to be, if the buyout was the thing that made him say "no thanks".

that at least tells you he knows he has a good thing here.....and wasn't just going to leave because he was looking to leave.

if he wanted out, he'd of got out....again, i think it was a matter of having the ability to choose one, or the other....and if the buy out was number one on his list of cons against UCLA, that doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't a lot on his list of pro's for Tennessee....
I get what your saying Jake and respect your take but there was several ways to be honest there and it sound much better.

Maybe a "If I was meant to be at UCLA, God would have lead me that direction. The way I see it, I was meant to be in Tennessee".
Same basic concept and the fans are cheering. That was poor wording.

Ubben bringing truth. Barnes is not a fan of TN he is a professional providing a service. To think otherwise is pure ignorance. I wonder what would happen if Bama doubles Pruitts salary?

We are fortunate to have Coach Barnes and I appreciate him being at TN.

“Hey five star player, I don’t really want to be at TN, I’d rather be at UCLA, but dang it, they didn’t pay my buyout. You should totally want to come to TN tho rather than a school like UCLA or another blue blood. Why? Idk really cause I don’t want to be here either haha! But hey, I am here, so you should come play for me. Unless, you know, another blue blood program comes next year and will pay my buyout. In that case I’m out. But, that may or may not happen 🤷‍♂️. But you should totally come to TN” -Rick Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back