Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, people underestimate the insane athleticism of even benchwarming D1 athletes. Fat guy touchdowns look funny but those guys often still run faster than average Joes who are in shape and consider themselves fast.

3HL did a contest a few years ago after the NFL Combine because a bunch of dudes said they could run sub 5 second 40s. No one even came close except one guy who was a former collegiate baseball player, IIRC.

I'm by no means a great or good athlete, even at my small HS. But I'm capable of playing a few sports, played football, basketball, baseball, and even soccer.

People forget that college athletes, especially D1 guys are already the elite of the elite. The amount of HS athletes that then get D1 scholarships is a drastically HUGE drop, larger than D1 to NFL or NBA even, by sheer numbers. Worked for Tennessee Tech's basketball program the year that Derek Stribling was sitting out after transferring from UT. He was a top 100 player in 2001 per RSCI ranking, and he wasn't the best player on the team any of the three years he was there. One guy from that team played in the NBA even.

I was in better shape then and played in the cage a lot and there was a dude that was pretty good, he would tell other players the coaches kept hounding him to walk-on. This was like August/September so still off-season. He was probably 6'2" or so, quick and had a good shot. Aside from him lying about the coaches asking him to walk on he was a solid baller. He didn't know I worked for the team, so I finally convince him to come up to the new workout facility they had built up by the basketball arena. (where the team played during off-season when they weren't allowed in the arena) So we go up there for a pick-up game. He made one jumper the entire time I was up there, he got left open and hit it then started talking...

I don't think he ever got a shot to the rim after that, the players shut him down like no other. And then he left after getting dunked on by the "old man" of the team (Rusty Strange 6'9" white dude from Knoxville).

It's a different breed, I respect all those athletes like no other. If you're on scholarship at the D1 level you're already elite.

It’s bad. There’s so many good officers out there but there’s a lot of people that i went to high school with that were definite racists and are not smart or emotionally stable enough to be a cop. It’s really sad.
For sure. Additionally, white nationalist groups actively try to infiltrate police forces (The FBI Has Quietly Investigated White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement) and the militarization of police departments around the country is alarming. When I say ACAB, I’m referring to the lack of police reform in this country and the refusal of many to allow it into mainstream conversation.

According to the report, once in custody, George said, "He hit me first. Why can't I hit him back?"

x1000. The fact that cops are harass/assault/kill people at their discretion with no repercussions (whether in self defense or being held accountable in court) doesn’t sit well with me and is why I will always back the 2nd amendment.

Sounds like to me he done one thing and then they decided to write him up for everything else that was in the book.typical.

Reactions: T Dog and scvolfan7
I'm by no means a great or good athlete, even at my small HS. But I'm capable of playing a few sports, played football, basketball, baseball, and even soccer.

People forget that college athletes, especially D1 guys are already the elite of the elite. The amount of HS athletes that then get D1 scholarships is a drastically HUGE drop, larger than D1 to NFL or NBA even, by sheer numbers. Worked for Tennessee Tech's basketball program the year that Derek Stribling was sitting out after transferring from UT. He was a top 100 player in 2001 per RSCI ranking, and he wasn't the best player on the team any of the three years he was there. One guy from that team played in the NBA even.

I was in better shape then and played in the cage a lot and there was a dude that was pretty good, he would tell other players the coaches kept hounding him to walk-on. This was like August/September so still off-season. He was probably 6'2" or so, quick and had a good shot. Aside from him lying about the coaches asking him to walk on he was a solid baller. He didn't know I worked for the team, so I finally convince him to come up to the new workout facility they had built up by the basketball arena. (where the team played during off-season when they weren't allowed in the arena) So we go up there for a pick-up game. He made one jumper the entire time I was up there, he got left open and hit it then started talking...

I don't think he ever got a shot to the rim after that, the players shut him down like no other. And then he left after getting dunked on by the "old man" of the team (Rusty Strange 6'9" white dude from Knoxville).

It's a different breed, I respect all those athletes like no other. If you're on scholarship at the D1 level you're already elite.

It's pretty much all genetics to even get your foot in the door to that life. Then it's hard work and dedication (or just being a freak among freaks). That's why it's heartbreaking to see kids with literally the 1 percent of the 1 percent of athletic talent throw it away because they can't stay out of trouble. They won the genetic lottery but have no idea how lucky they are to be in their position.

I also have to laugh when you read stories about pro athletes who were thinking about giving up because they were 5'10" and 140 lbs as sophomores, and then they hit a growth spurt and end up being 7'. "Don't give up bro, you might end up being 99.99999999 percentile in height!"

It's pretty much all genetics to even get your foot in the door to that life. Then it's hard work and dedication (or just being a freak among freaks). That's why it's heartbreaking to see kids with literally the 1 percent of the 1 percent of athletic talent throw it away because they can't stay out of trouble. They won the genetic lottery but have no idea how lucky they are to be in their position.

I also have to laugh when you read stories about pro athletes who were thinking about giving up because they were 5'10" and 140 lbs as sophomores, and then they hit a growth spurt and end up being 7'. "Don't give up bro, you might end up being 99.99999999 percentile in height!"

We landed a 2019 baller who hit that growth spurt lottery. Apparently Drew Pember played guard until he hit a big growth spurt, so now we got a 6'10" kid coming in with a guard's handles and jumper :D

We landed a 2019 baller who hit that growth spurt lottery. Apparently Drew Pember played guard until he hit a big growth spurt, so now we got a 6'10" kid coming in with a guard's handles and jumper :D

Kinda what happened to joakim Noah except he could never really shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back