Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm keeping an ongoing updated 2-deep based on what I think could happen in week one. I'm just doing it for fun but am trying to keep up with the buzz. I'm assuming Solomon & Gibbs will be cleared to play (we should know in May). This is where I'm at and I think there are some positions in the depth chart still very much open. The only offensive guy yet to report which I think helps us this year is Wright. On defense of the guys yet to report I'm looking for immediate help from S. Williams, To'oto'o, and Harrison in the front 7 and hopeful we get some help from the other guys coming in for the backend. I wish I could include Middleton in front 7 group but I'm not confident he comes in ready to contribute right away. This is just my guess based on some of the buzz we hear and maybe some wishful thinking on my part. I think Morris and Wright will play from the get go but I think they both will have to unseat the veterans to claim the starting positions. All of this could change on a daily basis as we have 10 days of spring left and of course all of fall camp. jmo.

Facing each other across the LOS. (McCollough would be my STAR).

View attachment 198362
fair. though i think i remember reading where they're going to try and get Crouch more OLB to start and work him inside as development/progression allows, so i might split hairs on that, but not a biggie. i would probably have Crouch where you have Harrison, and HT where you have Crouch....jmo tho. DWA's back up is going to be whichever one of the freshmen TE's doesn't go to DE/OLB lol.

won't be surprised if Keyton winds up somewhere on the 2 deep at WR when it's all said and done.

Safety, we have options all over the place i feel like. i agree Mcollough likely fits at Start first and though Flowers has been slow to coming around this spring apparently, i find it hard to believe he won't be penciled in across from WArrior on the other side at Safety.

so early. will be fluid i'm sure.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
If we win the national championship this year, does Matt Jones go on PAWL and own up to his "never in our lifetime" statement or does he never show his face again?? I'll take the latter.
That would be almost as good as the feeling of winning it.

I think Reid earns a LB spot. Has more experience in the system and year 2 in S&C helped him a ton.

Good 2 deep though. Hoping Flowers can emerge at safety, I thought he was doing good things last season.
there's probably 5-6 guys that are in the same category as Reid. guys that have been here, that we haven't seen either in a while, or ever, and could wind up being something. more unknowns to deal with. would be GREAT if most of those guys would step up....

Leabruzza, Ried, Malik Grey, Shamburger among others.....i think if this team this year is going to do something, it's going to require guys of that ilk to do what they've not done yet, and that's be a positive contributor.

i think we know what we're going to have at a lot of spots, especially in terms of some specific personnel. and there's excitement about what some of these freshmen can bring.

but it's these kind of guys that are going to be the difference maker. we have to get more out of the middle.

Villanova is the first "bad" matchup we could face early imo.

Cincinnati relies on one guy mostly for offense and they don't score a lot of points, very poorly ranked as a 3pt shooting team too in attempts, makes and % they rank 145th or worse in all 3 categories.

Closest SEC Comparable Team: Mississippi State (MSU has more top 100 players and shoots a better 3 though)

Reactions: JCP201
there's probably 5-6 guys that are in the same category as Reid. guys that have been here, that we haven't seen either in a while, or ever, and could wind up being something. more unknowns to deal with. would be GREAT if most of those guys would step up....

Lebruzza, Ried, Malik Grey, Shamburger among others.....i think if this team this year is going to do something, it's going to require guys of that ilk to do what they've not done yet, and that's be a positive contributor.

i think we know what we're going to have at a lot of spots, especially in terms of some specific personnel. and there's excitement about what some of these freshmen can bring.

but it's these kind of guys that are going to be the difference maker. we have to get more out of the middle.

I haven't heard this kid's name ONCE in his entire time here.

Got it. I’m an idiot. I’m looking at your spreadsheet inverse of how it’s meant to be read.
Kingston looking at the spreadsheet....

giphy.gif

So who do you think can play in our 2 deep?

As far as total units go:

I like our secondary and WRs.
I think our OL,can be serviceable
I think JG is a serviceable starter
We are thin at RB but i like chandler and banks runs hard.
I think our returning LBs are awful (outside of DT who i am classifying with the DL Bc he’s a primary pass rusher and a sub DE, just like i would classify josh Allen from Uk as an edge/DE)
I think our DL can be solid with Taylor as an anchor.

Football wise I like where we are at with LBs, lots of depth/bodies and that'll breed competition which should breed improvement on the field.

People forget Jordan Allen, Deandre Johnson, Ignont, Reid, DKJr., Kivon Bennett are still on the roster all guys who will enter year 2 with the same S&C program & coaches. All 4 stars except Johnson, maybe they don't start but the depth and talent can assure we don't see starters running down the field on special teams.

I also like the secondary, mostly because we return 3 starters and have former starters returning as well. Warrior, Taylor, Buchanan, Flowers, Shamburger, Theo Jackson, Labruzza all names we're familiar with who have some in game experience. Looks like Labruzza redshirted last season too. The addition of Burrell, Fields, McCollugh and will help too. Could have some sleepers too with Gray, Bailey, Davis

I think our returning LBs are awful (outside of DT who i am classifying with the DL Bc he’s a primary pass rusher and a sub DE, just like i would classify josh Allen from Uk as an edge/DE)
pretty much agree. i think on the LB front a lot depends on some of the new comers, and what we can get out of guys like Shannon Reid. i don't think Bituli is awful, and agree about DT. i think awful is probably a bit harsh...but it's huge ? mark for sure.

as it turns out, i'd of probably felt a little better had we gotten the dyersburg kid and/or Lakia Henry in this class. not sure who i would have given up to make that happen though....landing HT was HUGE for this class....

Interesting take on RBs & LBs... What's "thin at RB" we've got 4 potential starters in Chandler, Jordan, Fils-aime, and Banks...then you've got Gray and Fant (who knows how good he can be) as depth guys, although I really hope we can RS Gray).

We legit return every one at LB except Sapp & Kongbo, which both never really emerged as world beaters. Bituli lead the team in tackles, DK Jr. was 5th, Ignont was 7th, and Taylor was 10th.

Football wise I like where we are at with LBs, lots of depth/bodies and that'll breed competition which should breed improvement on the field.

People forget Jordan Allen, Deandre Johnson, Ignont, Reid, DKJr., Kivon Bennett are still on the roster all guys who will enter year 2 with the same S&C program & coaches. All 4 stars except Johnson, maybe they don't start but the depth and talent can assure we don't see starters running down the field on special teams.

I also like the secondary, mostly because we return 3 starters and have former starters returning as well. Warrior, Taylor, Buchanan, Flowers, Shamburger, Theo Jackson, Labruzza all names we're familiar with who have some in game experience. Looks like Labruzza redshirted last season too. The addition of Burrell, Fields, McCollugh and will help too. Could have some sleepers too with Gray, Bailey, Davis
i'm not sure DKjr is a factor anymore at LB. and a lot of those names you listed there kinda fall in that category i was talking about earlier...about needing more from the middle of the roster...those guys are that. right now they're just complete unknowns.

they need step up if htis season is going to be markedly different from last year. can say the same for some of the guys on the DL as well.

they don't have the ALL SEC level performers, but they can't just be warm bodies either....

Serviceable would be a great improvement and I would gladly take it.
Serviceable would be a great improvement and I would gladly take it.

Chaney will have to run a drastically different offense to really help our OL. He likes a play action passing and vertical route concepts. That doesn’t bode well for our QB or OL

Villanova is the first "bad" matchup we could face early imo.

Cincinnati relies on one guy mostly for offense and they don't score a lot of points, very poorly ranked as a 3pt shooting team too in attempts, makes and % they rank 145th or worse in all 3 categories.

Closest SEC Comparable Team: Mississippi State (MSU has more top 100 players and shoots a better 3 though)

IMO, Nova does not make it far. Like, they may lose their opener.

Chaney will have to run a drastically different offense to really help our OL. He likes a play action passing and vertical route concepts. That doesn’t bode well for our QB or OL
What are you talking about. Play action would help our OL because it will force the QB to get rid of the ball quicker. Verticals were all we ran (or at least all JG threw) last year.

IMO, Nova does not make it far. Like, they may lose their opener.

Boy I hope you're right, St. Mary's knocking off Nova and upsetting Purdue would be oh so sweet. I also think Iowa could knock off the Bearcats, amazed people seem to think they'll just cruise by the Hawkeyes. Giving Cincinnati too much credit for beating Houston in the AAC championship game.

Reactions: LynxVol
Interesting take on RBs & LBs... What's "thin at RB" we've got 4 potential starters in Chandler, Jordan, Fils-aime, and Banks...then you've got Gray and Fant (who knows how good he can be) as depth guys, although I really hope we can RS Gray).

We legit return every one at LB except Sapp & Kongbo, which both never really emerged as world beaters. Bituli lead the team in tackles, DK Jr. was 5th, Ignont was 7th, and Taylor was 10th.

It’s personal preference. I think chandler is the only true play maker at RB.

I noted that I’m counting Taylor with DL. So when you look at our returning LBs i don’t really care about tackle totals Bc those just coincide with play time. They were awful in coverage and none showed to be effective blitzers. So it wouldn’t surprise me to see both freshman starting.

What are you talking about. Play action would help our OL because it will force the QB to get rid of the ball quicker. Verticals were all we ran (or at least all JG threw) last year.

Play Action requires the QB to hold the ball longer and the line to protect better...Quick Slants and a better running game is what we need in the Chaney offense to help JG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back