Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I get that. But we wouldn’t be relying on 3 star guys to play above their rating either.

It’s a totally different style. Both have their merits, but I can’t find any way to say Rick Barnes has been more successful than Cal.

I don't think Cal would be recruiting as good in Knoxville as he has in Kentucky. So to say his success would be the same seems off to me.

Barnes does have a winning record vs cal at Tenn so that has to count for something

Reactions: 1955bamavol
Barnes hasn’t made it to the sweet 16 in 10 years. We’re having an amazing year but it will all be for not if we get have an early exit again.
Bet your looking forward to that ain't ya..Why are you always crapping on UT coaches? Barnes has done something Cal has never done without being a proven cheater...brought to life a completely dead program.

Are y'all really arguing over whether this fanbase would want another BB coach?

Are you dense? Rick Barnes. The man who has had us at #1 for a month, longer than any period in our history, and y'all really want to argue that the fanbase wants, or might want, someone else.

It's stupid crap like this that people make fun of other fans.

Be better, y'all. Be better.

Yea and he said no one would choose Barnes

lol

Hank doesn't seem to be mentioning the fact that Cal has left a trail of recruiting violations at every school he's coached at (with the exception of Kentucky, so far). Those UMass and Memphis teams had those postseason victories vacated. Cal's a great recruiter and a good hype man for his players getting to the next level. Other than that, his systems are rudimentary drive and kick, where he's relying on the talent of his players to get em over the top. Given Tennessee's roster 2 years ago, Cal could have never accomplished what Coach Barnes can do. I want to win, but I want to win with players that stay.

Bet your looking forward to that ain't ya..Why are you always crapping on UT coaches? Barnes has done something Cal has never done without being a proven cheater...brought to life a completely dead program.

I like barnes a lot so I’m not crapping on barnes at all but their resumes aren’t even on the same planet.

Well it's Hank soooo

Lol well we are arguing if barnes is a better coach than cal when the two resumes are not even comparable.

Love barnes all you want but he hasn’t had the success as cal. Barnes is basically mark richt and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

It is a horrible rule that rewards an out of control player
It prevents players from sliding under someone trying to score after they have left their feet going to the basket. I think it's a good rule for the most part. It definitely helped Duke in this case. I think it should have been a travel and not a foul.

Lol well we are arguing if barnes is a better coach than cal when the two resumes are not even comparable.

Love barnes all you want but he hasn’t had the success as cal. Barnes is basically mark richt and there is nothing wrong with that at all.
I thought it was if these two coaches switched teams (Barnes gets the current Kentucky team and Cal the current Tennessee team) then which team would be better? I think it's obvious that Barnes would be better because this Tennessee team is better than that Kentucky team with a heckuva lot less talent.

I thought it was if these two coaches switched teams (Barnes gets the current Kentucky team and Cal the current Tennessee team) then which team would be better? I think it's obvious that Barnes would be better because this Tennessee team is better than that Kentucky team with a heckuva lot less talent.
We’ve seen Barnes with that level of talent at Texas. It was a mixed bag.

Reactions: chargervol
We’ve seen Barnes with that level of talent at Texas. It was a mixed bag.
I think the attitude of high-talent level kids that aren't humble and are 1 and dones doesn't work for a coach like Barnes who demands respect. Saying that, I don't think he'd thrive with a roster like Kentucky, he either needs a super humble talent that is willing to be coached (Josiah James) or a lesser talent that he can help mold and develop into the best player they can be for themselves and the team (Grant, Admiral, Bone etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: jlawso21
For sure. He’s found a niche that’s working this year.

Ultimately it’s too early to have this talk. We don’t know what this team is going to do in the tournament.

We also don't know if Barnes just struck gold with the unexpected development of guys like Schofield, Williams, Bone, Turner, Bowden. Obviously he deserves a ton of credit for this team's chemistry and player development, but can he repeat that success down the road with other sub top 200 guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back