Recruiting Forum Football Talk LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, it's like many other things in life. There's no simple explanation or singular reason.

I believe the primary reason was the evolution of other sports options. Believe it or not, there were a very limited number of events that were televised many years ago. When I was around 10, you had the Friday Night Fights and during the respective seasons, you would have one baseball game on Saturday, an NFL game on Sunday and a NBA game on Sunday. I can't really remember much college football on TV back in the early 60s. One of the biggest sports shows was the Wide, Wide World of Sports, but everything they showed was on tape delay from at least a week before. Once televised live sports took off, I think many young men gravitated away from participating in boxing to taking part in other sports. This obviously effected the interest in boxing.

Another big issue were the big events in boxing, such as heavyweight championships, were almost always televised via closed circuit tv and they would be held at convention centers, etc. Pay per view at home simply didn't exist. Once again, it is obvious in hindsight that if people can't see something easily, they're going to gravitate to other sports...sports which were being televised at a growing frequency.

Another consideration is boxing being an individual sport, it was very difficult to be a star compared to the future growth of team sports. My point here is there are only a handful of world champion boxers but there are 45+ guys on a NFL champion team or a national championship college team, 25 guys on the World Series champion team, etc. Far greater chance of succeeding at a very high level.

Personally, I lost interest in boxing when Ali declined. To me and many of my friends, the "show" or "spectacle" of a championship fight lost a tremendous amount of luster. It was never the same to me and I wasn't about to fork out the money to go to a closed circuit fight when the participants lacked the incredible charisma and showmanship that Ali brought to the table. I'm likely overstating this particular point, but I do know I still speak for many in my generation who watched a lot of boxing.

You will notice I haven't even touched upon the health aspect. I think it pales as a factor compared to the other things I mention above.

There's a lot more to it but these are some of the key issues that might help answer your question.

TL/DR, right?

I appreciate the answer. I don't really have much to add, other than I read it all and I appreciate it.

Boxing’s decline began when they started putting any match worth watching on HBO or pay-per-view. It never again became the everyman’s sport it once was when it could be heard on the radio and/or watched on network television.

Reactions: 1 person
I had an Alaskan Malamute. She made lots of strange wooing noises. Could never get her to do it at the right time though.

Should be ready for Media Day the first week of practice. But most people won't notice the difference.

Away uniforms will be the same, though UT wanted to add a grey outline to the numbers. Probably will happen for 2019, but the retail jerseys were already in production, so the jersey designs couldn't be changed.

Not to take this discussion to a different tangent, but I find it disappointing that so many kids are playing certain sports on a year-round basis, such as the travel teams you find in youth baseball, soccer, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed growing up and playing football during football season, basketball during basketball season, baseball during baseball season.

If I was a parent today, I think I would worry more about my child burning out in a particular sport than a lot of other things.

Just a pet peeve of mind...

You are correct on this, my son played football from age 5 to junior year, high school and quit. His high school coach had said he had the only talent to go next level. He was plain burned out. Will never know if his coach was right (or full of it).

You are correct on this, my son played football from age 5 to junior year, high school and quit. His high school coach had said he had the only talent to go next level. He was plain burned out. Will never know if his coach was right (or full of it).

My youngest son stared football when he was five and in his first game got two penalties for unnecessary roughness. He weighted about 40 pounds at the time. In high school, he started on offense, defense and special teams and was presented an award which was this quote from Bear Bryant "It is not the size of the dog in the fight; its the size of the fight in the dog".

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back