Recruiting Forum Football Talk LVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
WVU’s defense wasn’t much better than ours last year and they’re losing a lot of their best guys.

If Pruitt and the staff can tighten up the defense and just keep WVU from going off, we’ll have a chance in that game. Probably asking too much to get a win against Holgerson and Grier in year one of the rebuild, but it will be a game we should be in at least.

Run the ball effectively and we’ll win that game.

I think we can beat them. They do return 2 of their 3 WR's, but they lost a thousand yard WR. They also lost their thousand yard RB.

Control the ball, score, and limit big plays.
Their offense should be pretty good. They return another 1000 he’d WR at least. But yeah, ball control, be able to score 3-4 TDs somehow, and we’ll have a chance IMO.

Mizzou game is in Knoxville and they have 6 straight before facing UT. That’s a W for sure.

I’ll work on finding reasons we beat UGA and Bama.
Also with that Missouri game, we’ll be at home for the 3rd straight week. It’s pretty decent timing for us.

Wvu O line is very weak this year as well. Grier won't have time to sit back and pick us apart like he did against B12 defenses. I have no worries about our dbs covering Sills either. Kid has great hands, but he's not a streak of lightning.

Also like that Pruitt and staff have the whole offseason to study and scheme against their O.

One thing I like that Pruitt has done so far is the approach he’s taken in evaluating the roster.

In one interview, when questioned, he mentioned that they didn’t really look at last year’s tape too much and were putting more stock into what guys are doing moving forward than how they performed last year.

Also, if you you pay attention to his interviews, he hasn’t singled anybody out for praise (or for anything really). He’s said he doesn’t want to praise a guy who might struggle the next day, but it seems like he’s really just trying to make sure everybody on the team feels like they’re getting an even, equal shot at contributing if they’ll do things the right way and show results.

I’m probably reading too much into it all, but his approach seems somewhat telling to me. He and his staff are basically writing off 2017 and starting roster evaluations based one what they see out of guys under their own coaching. They know that a lot of guys on the team have more in them than what the 2017 tape shows. They’re starting from scratch to give everyone a chance to show it.

We’ll see how much they can get out of this team, but IMO it’s definitely the right approach to try and put a half decent product on the field ASAP.

Reactions: 3 people
I think 8-4 is definitely doable. Going to be fun to watch these kids grow up quickly with this staff coaching

Reactions: 1 person

giphy.gif

I think 8-4 is definitely doable. Going to be fun to watch these kids grow up quickly with this staff coaching

Possible, but very unlikely IMO. I think we have 9 winnable games in the schedule, but we’re gonna need just about everything to go our way to win that many of them.

Mainly, we’re gonna need to get everybody back on the OL and have few or no injuries there.

Then we’re gonna need Jennings to keep his head on straight up to and through the season and return to form.

And we’re gonna need our best 16-18 guys on defense to get the new system down well enough to make few or no mental mistakes that lead to big plays and scores. We’re gonna play some offenses that are just better than us. But we’ve gotta make opponents earn their yards and points. I think Pruitt is a heck of a defensive coach, but asking these guys to get down his defense in one offseason is probably asking a bit too much. He won’t have the type of studs he had at Bama and FSU who are just flat out good enough to make up for mental mistakes.

Have you not been reading the posts in here. Keep up man! We're up to 11-1 now. All we need to do is find a bad article about GA and we're undefeated next year!

Geez man, do you even RF?!

Reactions: 2 people
Possible, but very unlikely IMO. I think we have 9 winnable games in the schedule, but we’re gonna need just about everything to go our way to win that many of them.

Mainly, we’re gonna need to get everybody back on the OL and have few or no injuries there.

Then we’re gonna need Jennings to keep his head on straight up to and through the season and return to form.

And we’re gonna need our best 16-18 guys on defense to get the new system down well enough to make few or no mental mistakes that lead to big plays and scores. We’re gonna play some offenses that are just better than us. But we’ve gotta make opponents earn their yards and points. I think Pruitt is a heck of a defensive coach, but asking these guys to get down his defense in one offseason is probably asking a bit too much. He won’t have the type of studs he had at Bama and FSU who are just flat out good enough to make up for mental mistakes.

Our OL is terrifying

Have you not been reading the posts in here. Keep up man! We're up to 11-1 now. All we need to do is find a bad article about GA and we're undefeated next year!

Where you been baldy? We've had 15 polls come and go since you've been around.

Our OL is terrifying

Yep. If somehow we get everybody back and they stay healthy, I think they could be decent. But depth is scary.

I’m interested to see what Friend can do with them moving forward though. Most of the OL is still relatively inexperienced, all things considered. As long as we bring in some good young guys for depth and competition in the 2019 class, I think he’ll put together an average looking unit for us in 2019.

Where you been baldy? We've had 15 polls come and go since you've been around.

Been busy growing my companies and making sure the Haslam's backlash wouldn't affect my $$$.

Figured it was a good time to take a break from VN and let things settle down on here....at least settle down by VN standards, lol.

Trying to catch up on recruiting now. I'm excited to see what CJP can do with a full year to recruit. Looking good so far IMO.

Been busy growing my companies and making sure the Haslam's backlash wouldn't affect my $$$.

Figured it was a good time to take a break from VN and let things settle down on here....at least settle down by VN standards, lol.

Trying to catch up on recruiting now. I'm excited to see what CJP can do with a full year to recruit. Looking good so far IMO.

I'm excited too. If he can show a little bit next season, I think the recruiting could really take off.

What do you mean bad article? It's UGA... 12-0

I'm excited too. If he can show a little bit next season, I think the recruiting could really take off.

Agree. Doesn't really matter what he's doing right now. Good or bad. What will matter the most will be whether or not he can coach as the man in charge.

While wins and losses will play a part, I think the how we win and/or lose will be the biggest tell for future recruits and fans as well.

IMO, we need to win the games we are suppose to, win maybe one game we are not suppose to and have one or two of moral victory losses.

Looks like admiral will test the draft waters.

This has probably been answered already, but he can go through the process without losing his eligibility. It is basically a no brained for him so that he will be better prepared for it next year.

Coach Barnes very much so encouraged Admiral to do this.

Also, how’s it going guys? Been a while since I’ve been on here.

Some of you guys have revisionist history. The OL was the only strength of that team. Compare it position by position, and it's not close. I don't care to break it down because I don't have the time.

We started guys like Daniel Hood, Marlon Walls, Dontavius Sapp, Brent Brewer, and Jaron Toney on defense. Even Brian Randolph and Ladarell McNeil weren't as highly recruited as Nigel Warrior and even TK jr or Maliek Gray.

I think I said the only advantage the 13 class had for sure was o line...and the defense was a push at best. Hardly revisionist history, and definitely not going to argue which was worse overall. Not really worth it in the end.

I do still think if this oline was better, the overall perception of this roster would be more favorable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back