Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Orange. My outlook is as positive as ever. I was in a wheelchair for 4 years. My doctors said I'd likely never walk again, but God had other plans. The only reason I even shared these things about myself here today is because someone might have needed to hear it. These are uncertain times we're living in, but it's temporary. My high school coach used to tell us that "Tough times don't last, but tough people do."

Heart.

We haven’t even gotten close since 2017. It’s been a whoopin’ every time. I’m like you — not gonna get my hopes up.

Typically our fundamentals go out the window and UF capitalizes. Botch snaps, drop easy passes, and miss tackles. Before you know it we’re down 21 points. They don’t even have to play well they just have to wait for our mistakes.

Not taking anything away from your great granny at all, but in my experience people who live to that age are quite often mentally tough. Not always stoic, but tough enough to not give up when life starts giving them increasingly frequent body blows.
You have to be mentally tough to be fending off the Reaper for 5-10 yrs.

Reactions: DawgInterloper
I think Florida and LSU are toss-up games for the moment. I think people are thinking talent is relatively even this year. It’s probably closer than other years but I think our advantage is probably that we have more proven talent, meaning this year at this point we have a better idea of what we’ve got and don’t got.

On paper, Florida has 6 five-stars and a total of 14 top 100 players (> 95). In all they have 41 blue chips on their 2022 roster.

LSU has 4 five stars, 16 top 100 players (> 95), and 37 blue chips in all.

We have 2 five stars, 5 top 100 players (> 95), and 27 blue chips in all.

According to Bill Connelly’s last update we’re ranked #26 for returning production, Florida is at #59, and LSU is at #65.

I think some people think because we improved from 3 wins to 7 wins we had a huge jump in improvement last year. I think we did improve at scoring points but not against the big 3. Last year against UF, UA, and UGA it was pretty much the same as 2020 only marginally worse. Against the other 7 Power 5 teams on our schedule last year, we beat SC, MO, and VU, same as we did in 2020. The difference in wins was UK. We went from our QB throwing pick sixes to their team in 2020 to their QB throwing a pick six to our team in 2021. That was ultimately a critical factor in the outcome of the game because Kentucky’s offense actually outscored our offense on the day.

So we played 10 power 5 games both years, winning 3 in 2020 and 4 in 2021, owing to the UK win. Our 3 cupcakes in 2020 (Charlotte, Troy, & Furman) got cancelled due to Covid but last year we padded our win totals with a combined 154-20 drubbing of Bowing Green, South Alabama, and Tennessee Tech. I’m definitely not suggesting Pruitt would be able to destroy cupcakes is such a satisfying way but we didn’t even get to play the cupcakes in 2020.

Where I think we improved last year was as I said, in scoring points. We had 7 common P5 opponents in both years, as already noted. For the other 3, in 2020 we had Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Auburn. In 2021 we had Pittsburgh, Ole Miss, and Purdue. Against those 3 teams in 2020 we scored 43 points but in 2021 we scored 105. We still didn’t win but we did score a lot of points.

Against the 7 common P5 opponents in 2020 we scored 162 points and in 2021 we improved that to 252 points. Against the big 3 we scored 57 points in 2020 and 55 in 2021.

All total in 2020 we scored 205 points against 10 P5 opponents and gave up 292 points. In 2021 we scored 357 points against 10 P5 opponents and gave up 358.

I don’t think we’ve changed as much as it looks like from a team standpoint. Obviously we have a night and day improved culture and a scheme on offense that can score points against most of our schedule, and of course we’re back to having a few cupcakes on our schedule. The only 2 power 5 teams I think are sure wins this year are Vanderbilt and probably Missouri. I think everybody else is either a toss-up or close to it. The games could go either way and as strange as it may sound I think that’s indicative of improvement. jmo.

Last year we had 4 toss-up games. I think this year we may have 6. I can make a case why we could win all 6 and I can make a case where we lose all 6. They’re toss-up games, at least at this point. You win some; you lose some. This year all total I’d like to see us win at least 8 total games because that would clearly indicate to the college football world and prospective recruits that we’re obviously continuing to move in the right direction. jmo.

I think 2025 is our year if we’re going to ever get back, at least in my remaining years. Nico will be a redshirt sophomore with a year of experience under his belt. From a roster standpoint I think we got 8 guys last year that will be among our top 40 players on that 2025 team. We’ve got maybe 5 more so far committed for 2023. We need 13 in 2023 and 13 more in 2024 then at least 6 in 2025. jmo.

Of the project recruits we’re bringing in normally among FBS teams around 6.25% of them make it to the NFL. Our rate since 2016 is at 9%. Georgia is at 15%. In any event I think we can count on maybe 5 or 6 of our project players between the 2022 and 2024 classes developing into quality NFL talent. With Nico and a roster loaded with NFL prospects I think we’d probably have 10 sure wins and maybe a couple of toss-ups. That’s what I hope we can do with this rebuilding effort and in a time frame where I might live to see it. jmo.

On paper, Florida has 6 five-stars and a total of 14 top 100 players (> 95). In all they have 41 blue chips on their 2022 roster.

According to Bill Connelly’s last update we’re ranked #26 for returning production, Florida is at #59, and LSU is at #65.

Wow, that talent disparity is still bigger than I thought. We have more returning production, but both Florida and LSU have more talent.

Thank you @Orange. My outlook is as positive as ever. I was in a wheelchair for 4 years. My doctors said I'd likely never walk again, but God had other plans. The only reason I even shared these things about myself here today is because someone might have needed to hear it. These are uncertain times we're living in, but it's temporary. My high school coach used to tell us that "Tough times don't last, but tough people do."
Amen

Can’t let him get out of the pocket and we should be good
T. Banks had no ideal what to do on 3rd down last year and QBs had a field day on 3rd down with QB draw. I still have my doubts about him as DC and I hope he proves me wrong. He was really good on 1st and 2nd down for the most part but after that it wasnt fun to watch.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I think Florida and LSU are toss-up games for the moment. I think people are thinking talent is relatively even this year. It’s probably closer than other years but I think our advantage is probably that we have more proven talent, meaning this year at this point we have a better idea of what we’ve got and don’t got.

I think some people think because we improved from 3 wins to 7 wins we had a huge jump in improvement last year. I think we did improve at scoring points but not against the big 3. Last year against UF, UA, and UGA it was pretty much the same as 2020 only marginally worse. Against the other 7 Power 5 teams on our schedule last year, we beat SC, MO, and VU, same as we did in 2020. The difference in wins was UK. We went from our QB throwing pick sixes to their team in 2020 to their QB throwing a pick six to our team in 2021. That was ultimately a critical factor in the outcome of the game because Kentucky’s offense actually outscored our offense on the day.

So we played 10 power 5 games both years, winning 3 in 2020 and 4 in 2021, owing to the UK win. Our 3 cupcakes in 2020 (Charlotte, Troy, & Furman) got cancelled due to Covid but last year we padded our win totals with a combined 154-20 drubbing of Bowing Green, South Alabama, and Tennessee Tech. I’m definitely not suggesting Pruitt would be able to destroy cupcakes is such a satisfying way but we didn’t even get to play the cupcakes in 2020.

Where I think we improved last year was as I said, in scoring points. We had 7 common P5 opponents in both years, as already noted. For the other 3, in 2020 we had Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Auburn. In 2021 we had Pittsburgh, Ole Miss, and Purdue. Against those 3 teams in 2020 we scored 43 points but in 2021 we scored 105. We still didn’t win but we did score a lot of points.

Against the 7 common P5 opponents in 2020 we scored 162 points and in 2021 we improved that to 252 points. Against the big 3 we scored 57 points in 2020 and 55 in 2021.

All total in 2020 we scored 205 points against 10 P5 opponents and gave up 292 points. In 2021 we scored 357 points against 10 P5 opponents and gave up 358.

I don’t think we’ve changed as much as it looks like from a team standpoint. Obviously we have a night and day improved culture and a scheme on offense that can score points against most of our schedule, and of course we’re back to having a few cupcakes on our schedule. The only 2 power 5 teams I think are sure wins this year are Vanderbilt and probably Missouri. I think everybody else is either a toss-up or close to it. The games could go either way and as strange as it may sound I think that’s indicative of improvement. jmo.

Last year we had 4 toss-up games. I think this year we may have 6. I can make a case why we could win all 6 and I can make a case where we lose all 6. They’re toss-up games, at least at this point. You win some; you lose some. This year all total I’d like to see us win at least 8 total games because that would clearly indicate to the college football world and prospective recruits that we’re obviously continuing to move in the right direction. jmo.

I think 2025 is our year if we’re going to ever get back, at least in my remaining years. Nico will be a redshirt sophomore with a year of experience under his belt. From a roster standpoint I think we got 8 guys last year that will be among our top 40 players on that 2025 team. We’ve got maybe 5 more so far committed for 2023. We need 13 in 2023 and 13 more in 2024 then at least 6 in 2025. jmo.

Of the project recruits we’re bringing in normally among FBS teams around 6.25% of them make it to the NFL. Our rate since 2016 is at 9%. Georgia is at 15%. In any event I think we can count on maybe 5 or 6 of our project players between the 2022 and 2024 classes developing into quality NFL talent. With Nico and a roster loaded with NFL prospects I think we’d probably have 10 sure wins and maybe a couple of toss-ups. That’s what I hope we can do with this rebuilding effort and in a time frame where I might live to see it. jmo.
I didn’t think floridas recent classes were that much better than ours. Do the team rankings the last 4-5 years reflect that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back