Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you talking about it? It has helped level the playing field…. It doesn’t mean you get everyone.
I will saybit seems like some school are able to get their players money + other things.

At Ohio state for example CJ Stoud is driving around in a $200k G Wagon right now on top of NIL money. Tennessee is just giving money.

Koepka going to LIV just made things interesting. PGA might be in trouble. Not just because of Koepka, but this really opens the door for other young guys.
After his tirade at the US Open, Koepka looks like a whiny b!tch.

But yea, this is not good for the PGA. Leadership needs to be nimble and make quick decisions, lest they end up like KMart on a decaying altar.

Reminds me of the situation with CART and IRL in 1996. That split divided the teams and drivers -- the sport was never the same again.

I will saybit seems like some school are able to get their players money + other things.

At Ohio state for example CJ Stoud is driving around in a $200k G Wagon right now on top of NIL money. Tennessee is just giving money.
We have given out cars for years…. I’m sure we will hook up our players with rides if we haven’t already…. We just need the excitement to keep growing and all of Knoxville and Alumni will support it like they did in the 90’s…. Look at all the support coming forward for baseball and that’s nowhere near on the same level as football.

It was naive to think that programs like Bama, UGA or Ohio State wouldn’t eventually catch up to us with NIL but I was just hoping we could get through this recruiting class before they did. Landing three plus 5 stars would’ve really put UT on the recruiting map nationally but now it looks like we will be lucky to land one more 5 star (which by no means is the end of the world). Ending with a top 10 class is still in the picture which was my hope to begin with.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Koepka going to LIV just made things interesting. PGA might be in trouble. Not just because of Koepka, but this really opens the door for other young guys.

I know the PGAT tries to use the SA Blood money, 9/11 guilt trip but when you look at all the money the PGA/FedEx and their sponsors get from doing business in SA but then turn around and tell guys you can't do that, won't even get into the sweatshop stuff Nike does. Then you got guys like Rahm saying him and his wife talked and said if they give him $400m would his life style change and he said no...bull butter , google says his net worth is $10-13mil yeah $400mil is a lifestyle change into FU money

Call the guys independent contractors but they're not free to leave your Tour and try and make money elsewhere. We're going to ban you for life. PGA should've just said, you loose all points and status and will have to go back to Q school to get your card back but now they may have dug themselves into a corner. Player can miss the cut and actually be out of money.
PGAT is going to be forced by this to at least pay players in the field who miss the cut eventually.

Players say they want to to play on the PGAT because that's where the best is and they want to play the best. Eventually the best may be on the LIV Tour.

Brian Kelly, who has never had such a schedule is #3? 🤣

Stoops gets 5 for what longevity and stability?

I think Saban, Jimbo, and Kirby obviously get tier 1 status. Kelly gets tier 2 alone for sustained success, but none in the SEC. Stoops, Kiff, Huep, Pittman, and Leach all get tier 3 for various reasons. Drink, Napier, Beamer in tier 5. Then Lea. Then Harsin.

Recruiting momentum definitely has slowed. We had landed nico, talking about getting Tate and/or Kasper to pair with them. Struck out on both. Probably not getting Cobb. Lost Burley. Hell, we are in an epic battle with Kentucky for a 3* safety.

We need some wins. Hopefully Seldon. We have to aim for top 10 if we want to build a program capable of winning the East.

Recruiting momentum definitely has slowed. We had landed nico, talking about getting Tate and/or Kasper to pair with them. Struck out on both. Probably not getting Cobb. Lost Burley. Hell, we are in an epic battle with Kentucky for a 3* safety.

We need some wins. Hopefully Seldon. We have to aim for top 10 if we want to build a program capable of winning the East.
Baseball is an example of how talent equals wins. Tennessee football over the last 20 years is an example of what lack of talent translates to.. a fractured inept program. The cycle needs to be broken. Let’s go Heup!

Kopeka basically just admitted he cannot get it done on the PGAT. Injuries, brainwaves, whatever. He clearly has lost what he once had.

IMO, there will be some sort of compromise on this down the road. The part I agree with the LIV golfers about is with the independent contractor status. As long as you meet minimum playing requirements on either PGA or Euro, it should not matter what you do with the rest of your time. You are not an employee. But I get if the rules require it to remain a member. I just see that being where the compromise comes.

JMO - I don't care for the format with the regular team and three day events. That's exhibition goofy golf. Four days and total dependence on self brings in stress, endurance, physical/mental conditioning, skillset. LIV might as well just let them use carts and drink beer like the average duffer does at the local club. They are going to make big money regardless of how bad they suck. For all the people who claim golfers are not athletes, they just proved your theory. It will not bring elite golf to the mix. It also undercuts the tradition of the game stretching over centuries that many have no clue about. That bugs me.

It matters not to me if FedEx goes along with anything - that's their issue to decide. I'll still accept my packages coming from FedEx. They are a nothing in my world, just like the Saudis and LIV. Don't care. I do care that the PGAT is under attack. Will see if they use it as an opportunity to redefine and improve their product or if they dilute it like the rest of the world.

To each his/her own.

It isn't always the $$$. Recruits, and not just the top ones, are asking for guarantees-- positions, playing time, game or event scheduling near their hometown or in preferential venues. There have always been some that made demands, but it's at a new level. Portal players are doing the same, looking to get more than they had at their previous school.

Some programs have always made promises they had no intention of keeping. Now they make guarantees beyond $$$ to land the players they want or need. UT has a solid NIL plan, but our coaches want to reward effort, they expect players to earn PT and they value the flexibility of moving players around to best use their talents and enhance their development. UT doesn't want recruits to decide who or where UT should play or to poison team chemistry. These are still team sports. Those who aren't team players are finding what they're looking for elsewhere. We're seeing that now in all the marquee sports-- even baseball.

Kopeka basically just admitted he cannot get it done on the PGAT. Injuries, brainwaves, whatever. He clearly has lost what he once had.

IMO, there will be some sort of compromise on this down the road. The part I agree with the LIV golfers about is with the independent contractor status. As long as you meet minimum playing requirements on either PGA or Euro, it should not matter what you do with the rest of your time. You are not an employee. But I get if the rules require it to remain a member. I just see that being where the compromise comes.

JMO - I don't care for the format with the regular team and three day events. That's exhibition goofy golf. Four days and total dependence on self brings in stress, endurance, physical/mental conditioning, skillset. LIV might as well just let them use carts and drink beer like the average duffer does at the local club. They are going to make big money regardless of how bad they suck. For all the people who claim golfers are not athletes, they just proved your theory. It will not bring elite golf to the mix. It also undercuts the tradition of the game stretching over centuries that many have no clue about. That bugs me.

It matters not to me if FedEx goes along with anything - that's their issue to decide. I'll still accept my packages coming from FedEx. They are a nothing in my world, just like the Saudis and LIV. Don't care. I do care that the PGAT is under attack. Will see if they use it as an opportunity to redefine and improve their product or if they dilute it like the rest of the world.

To each his/her own.
Exactly. The PGA is at a crossroads and it's time to choose a path. If the PGA chooses to fight the enemy by excluding participants, they may lose everything. If they allow golfers to be contractors and follow the rules for playing status, this problem will probably take care of itself. LIV is boring as hell and real competitors want to be challenged.

Koepka is a Grade A flake. Don't care about him at all.

It isn't always the $$$. Recruits, and not just the top ones, are asking for guarantees-- positions, playing time, game or event scheduling near their hometown or in preferential venues. There have always been some that made demands, but it's at a new level. Portal players are doing the same, looking to get more than they had at their previous school.

Some programs have always made promises they had no intention of keeping. Now they make guarantees beyond $$$ to land the players they want or need. UT has a solid NIL plan, but our coaches want to reward effort, they expect players to earn PT and they value the flexibility of moving players around to best use their talents and enhance their development. UT doesn't want recruits to decide who or where UT should play or to poison team chemistry. These are still team sports. Those who aren't team players are finding what they're looking for elsewhere. We're seeing that now in all the marquee sports-- even baseball.
Even baseball? Hope that’s not in reference to Skenes and/or Tommy White

Even baseball? Hope that’s not in reference to Skenes and/or Tommy White

Yes, even baseball. Let's say we have a very good player who waited his turn at a position. There's a portal player UT really wants who wants to play that position, even though we have a guy in place. Coaches take the transfer and risk the current guy portaling out. Trying to keep existing players happy is a big part of it, too, and the good ones aren't willing to sit back and watch new guys swoop in and get what they aren't getting. Money's just a piece of the puzzle-- in-demand players want more and expect to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back