Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe TN fans are upset at last night. Did people really expect TN to go in to Tuscaloosa and beat them. At the first of the season did some of them have Bama down as a win? We have a rag tag bunch of guys, they have the best players money can buy. They have a corrupt organization that insures their wins. The SEC would never allow lowly TN to beat their flagship.

And it's not changing. They're more and more blatant now than they've ever been. Replay shows one thing, who cares, we're sticking with the bad call. The only way to have a chance against them is to beat them so bad you overcome the biased officiating. That's difficult because the officials take any momentum away as soon as you get it.

People are delusional if they're unhappy with the way the Vols played.
I’m ready to leave this conference. It clearly protects certain teams and I’m tired of being on the other end. The fumble for a TD was a slap in every Vol fans face. They basically said, well this game is too close and we need Bama to win so y’all can cry about it later. And they know the call will blow over it n a couple weeks. Only way change happens is to threaten to leave and have some others join in. Officiating has gotten out of control.

Gotta match it with front 7 play. Our pass rush outside of BY is abysmal. Banks is the only SEC linebacker too.

We’ve got lots of holes but agree that our secondary can be a strength going forward
Pass rush was always going to be our biggest issue this year especially playing primarily 4 down. We don’t have the body types or explosive athletes off the edge so we’re forced to bring extra and play a lot of fire zone.

I can't believe TN fans are upset at last night. Did people really expect TN to go in to Tuscaloosa and beat them. At the first of the season did some of them have Bama down as a win? We have a rag tag bunch of guys, they have the best players money can buy. They have a corrupt organization that insures their wins. The SEC would never allow lowly TN to beat their flagship.

And it's not changing. They're more and more blatant now than they've ever been. Replay shows one thing, who cares, we're sticking with the bad call. The only way to have a chance against them is to beat them so bad you overcome the biased officiating. That's difficult because the officials take any momentum away as soon as you get it.

People are delusional if they're unhappy with the way the Vols played.

Of course there are those identifying themselves as Vol fans that are unhappy. But they are a subset of the greater Vol Nation just like those that used their mental facilities to justify themselves or others throwing crap on the field. I believe I heard that our D was on the field for over 100 plays last night. Partly due to our own deficiencies at getting off the filed on third down but some because their very deep and talented team made plays on those same downs. Part of the recovery process from the damage our left coach did to our program.

The speed of the recovery will depend on how many talented kids can see themselves playing for our new offensive and defensive staff members with positive results and being part of a climb back up the ladder. Different kids have different goals and motivations. Getting enough and the right mix will be important. Once here the number of hits and misses and the injury luck will also be factors. But I have to believe more quality guys from botht HS and the portal who follow our Vols are going to give us a long look.

few things---

I don't think it's right to have Greg M, a former AL QB, calling the game last night... how is that even remotely right? Then every other commercial was Saban and Aflac... What was this we were watching, the Tide Network??

Glad to see that nationally, folks are realizing how good a coach we have and what he and our staff is doing with this team. Achieving so Much more, with less, which is something that has not been done since kiffy left...

The fact that we hung with AL, and the refs, yes the refs, for three quarters, with so many kids hurt and banged up is great and inspiring.

No one other than Vol fans really get how far we've come this season with the talent gap and depth issues...

Unfortunately, our O line woes and depth issues was the main issue for the score getting out of hand at the end of the game. We were not able to sustain drives, get some more points, and caused our Defense to be on the field WAY too long, and out there for too many snaps. Even if we don't come away with points, those 3 and outs killed the conditioning of our Defense, we just don't have the depth and we simply got too tired.

A few have already mentioned this, but through two games, we can see that our D has issues with QB containment, which is killing us and keeping us from getting off the field. This off week I hope that is the main focus of the defense.

The only criticism I have from last night is the secondary schemes/zone play... We MUST figure out a way to do a better job with coverage, and clearly the soft zone on third downs has got to stop. You know you have elite WR's coming at you on 3rd, yet how many times were they wide open, jogging to make the catch right in the middle of 3-4 UT defenders? What do you have to lose playing man coverage? Clearly the other was not working, and didn't work against Ole Miss or bama...

REALLY hoping our O line can get healthy and back to full strength by KY, along with Hooker, Evans, Simmons, and the others that are currently out or still dinged up... Health and depth will simply be the deciding factor for the remainder of the season because we have the heart and the will to win, we just need the depth...

Seeing how this team has performed with the players they have, I'm so encouraged. There are only about a half dozen who could make the two deep at UGA or Bama. That does not mean they lack talent because it takes most players at least two years to be semi-ready for the SEC grind. It means it takes more time since the past staffs sucked at development and Heup/staff have only been here for less than a year. If you cannot see the great development of the players since last season, you don't know football very well.

So it's about roster building as quickly as possible to get more competitive as quickly as possible.

You can go position by position and see how so many do not have a quality back-up. They lose the starter to injury and the position suffers big time. QB, RB, O-line - all have that problem. Simple things like if Evans had been healthy and Cade playing - the run game improves and Bama cannot tee off on the pass rush because of the balance. Small is good change of pace, when healthy, but not the bell cow RB. It goes on and on.

Cap tip to Heup for what he and the staff are doing.

Just crazy how our schedule works. Played two of the top QB’s overall in year one and had chances to beat both. Also had several awful officiating blunders in both that prevented wins.
Fans that can keep prospective and detach emotion are very excited about where we are headed with this staff. Very refreshing to have real coaches and a staff that understand the little things off the field that are important.

few things---

I don't think it's right to have Greg M, a former AL QB, calling the game last night... how is that even remotely right? Then every other commercial was Saban and Aflac... What was this we were watching, the Tide Network??

Glad to see that nationally, folks are realizing how good a coach we have and what he and our staff is doing with this team. Achieving so Much more, with less, which is something that has not been done since kiffy left...

The fact that we hung with AL, and the refs, yes the refs, for three quarters, with so many kids hurt and banged up is great and inspiring.

No one other than Vol fans really get how far we've come this season with the talent gap and depth issues...

Unfortunately, our O line woes and depth issues was the main issue for the score getting out of hand at the end of the game. We were not able to sustain drives, get some more points, and caused our Defense to be on the field WAY too long, and out there for too many snaps. Even if we don't come away with points, those 3 and outs killed the conditioning of our Defense, we just don't have the depth and we simply got too tired.

A few have already mentioned this, but through two games, we can see that our D has issues with QB containment, which is killing us and keeping us from getting off the field. This off week I hope that is the main focus of the defense.

The only criticism I have from last night is the secondary schemes/zone play... We MUST figure out a way to do a better job with coverage, and clearly the soft zone on third downs has got to stop. You know you have elite WR's coming at you on 3rd, yet how many times were they wide open, jogging to make the catch right in the middle of 3-4 UT defenders? What do you have to lose playing man coverage? Clearly the other was not working, and didn't work against Ole Miss or bama...

REALLY hoping our O line can get healthy and back to full strength by KY, along with Hooker, Evans, Simmons, and the others that are currently out or still dinged up... Health and depth will simply be the deciding factor for the remainder of the season because we have the heart and the will to win, we just need the depth...
McElroy was wishing that fumble to be a touchdown. He was adamant that it was so close that it was a TD. When it was obvious that it was a fumble. And then to start the half, he said that Bama didn’t execute well and kept the game from being worse. How the hell do you let him call our game with the clear bias? Oh yeah, the SEC does not care. It’s time to leave this s*** conference.

It’s going to be tough. I wish it was at Neyland. Very well coach and they have advantage along both lines but i love our match ups on the perimeter.
I'm afraid that their advantage on both lines will result in us wearing out in the 4th quarter and they will pull away. But if we can build a big lead early....

I’m ready to leave this conference. It clearly protects certain teams and I’m tired of being on the other end. The fumble for a TD was a slap in every Vol fans face. They basically said, well this game is too close and we need Bama to win so y’all can cry about it later. And they know the call will blow over it n a couple weeks. Only way change happens is to threaten to leave and have some others join in. Officiating has gotten out of control.

If you want things to be different, you cannot keep doing things the same way and expect them to be. I've been over the SEC for decades. It's going to take mini-mutiny. Officiating is just a tool of the SEC powers. Until it is called out and addressed openly for the entire country to see - they will keep doing what they are doing. They have to become a mockery and lose their status personally before there will be positive change.

That there is no CFB centralized development and governing body for officiating says all you need to know.

Those who know more about the rules and recruiting limits. Will UT be able to get back to 85 scholarship players next year? Or will it take a few recruiting seasons to get to having a full roster?
Vol calls guys said they believe 80 to 81 would be as close as we get to probably be 3 years to reach max number.

Reactions: OrangenSC
You stole my picture from Twitter. At least post my Tweet 😂. I’m kidding of course. I saw that happening at end of the half. Went back and looked at it. Davis was grinding HT face in the dirt. Freaking loved it

I saw it in tweet comments or something. I don't Twitter, didnt realize who even posted it originally. If you had posted it sideways, I woulda recognized it. Good screen grab. Wish we had a gif of someone power-slamming him.

Last edited:
If anyone seeks entertainment, I invite them to check out Clemson’s message board. I’ve read posts blaming their QB, Tony Elliott, Dabo, NIL, and rules limiting what drills they’re allowed to do in practice.
Clemson's quick fall isn't good. I think the decline has just started and they go back to where they belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back