Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Volnation

Hey guys, so I’ve updated you on my car situation before but I just wanted to make sure it didn’t get overlooked, and I’ve finally recorded that thank you video in the backseat of this van on my way to a meeting 😂 sorry for the quality.

Love you guys. You raised $9,000 and we got a beautiful 2018 Prius Prime, which is the least Prius looking Prius, which is a real win for me 😆

[VIDEO=][/VIDEO]

I have a wedding to go to Sunday so my wife is going to stay home with the newborn. She’s not happy she will be alone all day so Saturday I told her to leave and go get her nails done, massage, whatever she wants for however long she wants. She then tells me this morning she will be leaving a little before noon and I was like, “oh ****, I forgot. UT game is on at that time.”

While I’m excited to share it with my daughter and get her into her UT onesie and a UT bow, I also pray she just sleeps the entire game. Knowing her though I’ll probably be standing up rocking her for half the game so she will stay asleep. Will be an interesting, yet somehow probably nice, way to watch a UT game.
Benadryl

Reactions: Brillovol
Who is saying they’re an elite powerhouse team? I’m just pointing out that we as fans often undermine our opponent before the game, then afterward talk about how they were much better than we thought - especially if we lose.

Pitt looks like an above average team and we look like average or slightly worse. I’m just saying it’s relative.

What has Pitt done though to be an above average team?

They went 6-5 with the benefit of a non-major opponent to open the season, and took advantage of the sub-500 ACC teams while losing to ever team that was average or better.

We went 3-7 playing an all SEC schedule that included losing to 4 top 10 teams. And of the other 3 losses only Kentucky & Arkansas didn't finish above 500.

I point all this out to say I think we're about as "even" with Pitt as any team on our schedule. They have the experience edge, we have the talent edge (based on recruiting ratings).

Also...I can't figure out why the media etc. all seem so high on Pittsburgh.

View attachment 393508

They only gave up 24.5 ppg on defense last year, but there is a 2.5 PPG swing because they shutout Austin Peay (without that game they gave up 27.0ppg) Our all SEC worse team ever gave up 30.1ppg. Guess what I'm saying is I don't think Pitt is as good as the hype seems to be around them.

And I get they return a 5th year SR QB, but he's not that great. Dude's highest TD total in a single season is 13. And in both those seasons he tossed 9 picks, but he's not a huge rushing guy either. For his career he's got 607 yards rushing. Hooker in his last season a VA Tech (only played in 8 games) had 620 rushing yards.
So, WGWTFA?

How do you see this Pitt game?

1) Nice, early (and entertaining!) test for the Vols in Year 0 of a multi-year rebuild that will help us see where we are?​
2) Critical game on which the entire season hinges - if we lose, it sets Heupel back, starting the clock on his tenure and begins introducing doubts about whether he's "the guy"?​

I continue to bump into Vol fans who are highly anxious and seem to fall into Category 2.

Why do we do this to ourselves??

I really hope Chip Kelly is successful at UCLA. If so, he will become my Exhibit A for how we should be treating our coaches.
Get out of the way and give them space to build for goodness sakes....
None of the above. Would be a big win for the season, but it’s still just one game. I want to see improvement throughout the year. If we improve throughout the year then we can find a way to 7 wins even if we lose this one.

Thanks to Volnation

Hey guys, so I’ve updated you on my car situation before but I just wanted to make sure it didn’t get overlooked, and I’ve finally recorded that thank you video in the backseat of this van on my way to a meeting 😂 sorry for the quality.

Love you guys. You raised $9,000 and we got a beautiful 2018 Prius Prime, which is the least Prius looking Prius, which is a real win for me 😆

[VIDEO=][/VIDEO]
Awesome!

View attachment 393508

They only gave up 24.5 ppg on defense last year, but there is a 2.5 PPG swing because they shutout Austin Peay (without that game they gave up 27.0ppg) Our all SEC worse team ever gave up 30.1ppg. Guess what I'm saying is I don't think Pitt is as good as the hype seems to be around them.

And I get they return a 5th year SR QB, but he's not that great. Dude's highest TD total in a single season is 13. And in both those seasons he tossed 9 picks, but he's not a huge rushing guy either. For his career he's got 607 yards rushing. Hooker in his last season a VA Tech (only played in 8 games) had 620 rushing yards.
Middle of a pack ACC school. I think it's a good opportunity for Tennessee to build some confidence and really buy into the program.

View attachment 393508

Yep….. I noticed that as well about their team…. I was expecting that QB to be much better than he is as well.

All gambling laws are illogical and nonsensical once you have the lottery.

Yeah, here's a scratchoff that's pure gambling, takes zero skill, and has a negative EV every time. But poker, a game of skill versus other bettors, utilizing tons of skill and (in the long run) is hardly gambling at all, and can have a positive EV for about 10-15% of players, no that should be illegal. The same for sports betting (though it is vs the house and apparently has a lower % of long-term winners...because it's against the house, but it also takes skill).

So stupid.

But it's for the children!! Scholarships...and stuff!!

:scratching while storing new pack of smokes in rolled up tee shirt sleeve:

Dang it. Gimme one more.

It's a bit of a dark irony that the lottery is a tax on people who can't do math, justified because it sends people to school...to hopefully learn to do math better. So it's self limiting. All good.

Some practice nugs:
* Tiyon evans is out….. not sure of possible last second test but all the talk is that he is not playing
* Cooper did not go through walk through so he is probably out or very limited
* Doesn’t know anything on Young
* feels the team looks ready
* Callaway looked good and shifty but unsure how they will use him with him being out for awhile
*Milton seems really confident going into the game
* Joe hit some really nice deep balls during practice today.

All gambling laws are illogical and nonsensical once you have the lottery.

Yeah, here's a scratchoff that's pure gambling, takes zero skill, and has a negative EV every time. But poker, a game of skill versus other bettors, utilizing tons of skill and (in the long run) is hardly gambling at all, and can have a positive EV for about 10-15% of players, no that should be illegal. The same for sports betting (though it is vs the house and apparently has a lower % of long-term winners...because it's against the house, but it also takes skill).

So stupid.

The are not illogical. They make complete sense. Follow the money. Its unfortunately that simple.

What makes Heupel’s offenses so tough to face?

Narduzzi: Everything. Let’s start with the tempo. You put it on, they’re snapping the ball, at least in the first quarter, 7-10 seconds and they’re not slowing down. In the fourth quarter, they slow down just to get out of the game. But what they want to do is be high-tempo, and I’m talking as fast as you’re going to see. They’re faster at Tennessee right now than they were at Central Florida. I want to say it was somewhere between 8 or 9 and 13 seconds when we played them a couple years ago.

So they’re faster. A lot of snaps at 7 seconds, which is blazing fast. We snapped it that fast this week with scout teams. We had one GA working the receivers on the right, one GA working the receivers on the left, one guy working the left side of the offensive line, one guy with the right side of the line, someone working with the quarterback and tight ends - it’s like, to even get our scout team to do that with all those coaches holding up cards, just for right side, left side, inside, the preparation it takes to just emulate the speed was incredible by our defensive staff this week.

That’s what makes it hard. The splits make it hard, because they’re putting you out on an island. Spread offenses put you on an island; this one really puts you on an island. You’re going to see receivers - if this crack here (in the table) is the sideline, they’re lined up right next to the sideline. So they’re going to spread you out and make you cover them. They’ll throw quick routes, they’ll go vertical and even your ‘backers are too far removed. It’s like they’re in the middle of nowhere: are they going to play the run or are they going to play the pass? There’s a lot of different things. Those are just a few of them.

I mean I'll pretty much watch any sport but Football is always the first choice if it's on.

Also looking forward to watching this Kansas vs Coastal Carolina game at 7:30!

More important question...

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, Quad Cab, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 45k miles = what's it worth?
3 whole Bitcoin.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Some practice nugs:
* Tiyon evans is out….. not sure of possible last second test but all the talk is that he is not playing
* Callaway looked good and shifty but unsure how they will use him with him being out for awhile
I'm still wondering when you're going to drop the 9.95 hammer on us.

;) Thanks for the updates.

Some practice nugs:
Vols by a million.

VPN into a Miami server address is how I watch all my Miami Dolphins games.
Yep, I'm in the blackout area for the Dodgers so I use a VPN to watch them on MLB.tv (don't get me started on blackouts).

What are you watching the Dolphins games on?

Thanks to Volnation

[VIDEO=][/VIDEO]

Awesome!

Some practice nugs:

Come on down, Jaylen Wright.

I mean I'll pretty much watch any sport but Football is always the first choice if it's on.

Also looking forward to watching this Kansas vs Coastal Carolina game at 7:30!

More important question...

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, Quad Cab, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 45k miles = what's it worth?
'bout tree fiddy

Just hope Carvin got the full week running center. I think he's more than capable of doing it, and with a full week running it as the 1 we should be alright.

But who do they sub in? I know Cade can play inside, and if Dayne is the next best OL then hopefully that's what they did. But if any of the other interior guys are as good or better then I'd prefer seeing the Tackles playing where they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back