Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither one of our freshmen are ready for the next level. KJ is a turnover just waiting to happen. Sooner or later, he's gotta slow down and let the game come to him. He seems like he's trying to hard.
I agree they're not ready...right now. But as has been mentioned on here before, I believe potential is as big a factor or maybe even bigger as season production for the NBA drafts.

Definitely won’t be anymore unblocked rushers...... that’s for sure. Gray was terrible and I mean turrible in pass protection.
And a group of all freshman or 3rd stringers will be better in pass pro? That’s a key role in CJC offense so if you can’t pass pro you don’t play...

You know something that I really detest about Pruitt?

He got to run through The T for 3 seasons and probably didn’t really care...

I would give Weezer’s left testicle to be able to run through The T just once (Weezer you would get to run through The T as well)
😁🤔😳
Weezer sold the left one a long time ago

70's shorty shorts with knee high socks and sweat bands for the head and wrists FTW.

We played basketball a lot in med school. An hour of 5 on 5 full court will clear your head to study....

You just described a guy in my class. His name was Merle. So appropriate 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: InVOLuntary
So... Here's my opinion on the NCAA.

I think there is a massive misconception about what they are trying to do in college sports. The opinion I see mostly is "Everyone is cheating, and the NCAA would like to stop it but they are too undermanned or incompetent to do that".

I think that's naive. What the NCAA would like to do is make sure it doesn't become widespread knowledge that everyone is cheating.

There is zero chance that video gets seen by more than a few thousand people, so there is zero chance they are going to give a **** about it. If it was being reported by ESPN, then maybe they would investigate.

This is also why I don't buy that the NCAA is going to slap us on the wrist for self reporting. That would make sense if they were trying to prevent cheating. They aren't. They are trying to prevent cheating that makes headlines. And nothing makes headlines like self reporting dozens of level 1 violations. There is no reason to think the NCAA is happy about someone self reporting violations. They want CFB to exist exactly how it is as badly as anyone: Where a few million dollars are passed under the table to the best players and the schools reap the lion's share of the money.

Just my two cents.
This makes a lot of sense.

And a group of all freshman or 3rd stringers will be better in pass pro? That’s a key role in CJC offense so if you can’t pass pro you don’t play...

Now you done made me go and do it to ya....

First off they aren’t all “Freshman” Jabari Small, Dee Beckwith, Tee Hodge, and Tiyon Evans are Sophomores.

The only True Freshman is Jaylen Wright.

Of the individuals I listed Tiyon Evans and Jabari Small have proven they can block very well.

Tiyon Evans is a better RB than Eric Gray, he is literally a home run waiting to happen who can break tackles and block. Jabari Small is your guy if you want someone who isn’t afraid to get that extra yardage by lowering his shoulder and he is an excellent blocker.

As for the other guys, they will find their rhythm but like you said if they can’t block they won’t play. So, good thing we have so many. All of them are good though, example was Dee Beckwith in his like 10 to 15yd reception. As for Hodge the only thing that kept him from seeing time was injuries.

Baseball Vols closed out a sweep against Georgia State today, 7-0, to go to 11-2 on the season. I am a little concerned about the hitting. We got nine hits and 2 HR today, but overall, our team BA is not great. But, good pitching beats good hitting. We will see how good we are soon when we start the SEC schedule. Go Vols!!
I listened to a press conference with TV last week.... all our fans are worried about hitting but he didn’t sound concerned at all..... he was more concerned about our pitching and wanted it fixed this weekend.

Jerry “Make it Rain” Mack

Continuing the look at our new staff and I’ve spent some time on each but the one guy who had me scratching my head the most was our running backs coach, Jerry Mack. It looks to me like his success as a coach came from his days as head coach at North Carolina Central, a prominent HBCU. He had a lot of success there and that success was rewarded with a number of accolades. Three out of the four years he was there he won the conference. He went from there to Rice as the offensive coordinator but for whatever reason during his 3 seasons at Rice, Rice never did anything. Rice is in Conference USA. I say they didn’t do anything but actually they did win 2 games his first year, 3 games his 2nd year, and 2 out of 5 games played in 2020. I mean it’s Rice so what could you expect? Right?

The thing that had me scratching my head though was I can’t find that he has ever had the job of coaching RBs. He’s coached WRs, TEs, and QBs, and of course been an OC and a HC, but his resume and history show no time where he was directly responsible for RBs. I got to thinking, is there a book or YouTube video series you can find to get up to speed coaching RBs overnight? Sort of a coaching RBs for dummies? Now don’t get me wrong, I recognize that OCs are involved with RBs. For example Eddie Gran, who Kiffin had coaching RBs for us in 2009, was the OC/RB coach at Kentucky until he was fired in December. Gran has been listed as a RB coach since 1995 even when he had other duties. I couldn’t find where Mack was ever listed as working directly with RBs.

Back to coaching RBs for dummies. So it starts with recruit evaluation. Some guys have natural ability – they don’t require as much all-around coaching. If they have natural instincts they’re going to be well ahead of a kid you’re going to have to spend maybe 3 years drilling him in the hopes that eventually it all clicks and he will develop some instincts. It’s the same with other aspects of a RB, vision, elusiveness, balance and body control, speed, home run ability, physicality, toughness, competitive streak, etc. Those types of things you have to recruit. Other things you want a coach who can teach and develop might be inside running skills, power and ability to break tackles, ball security, durability, stamina, play speed, playing strength, etc. Other things that can maybe be developed are first step quickness, two-stride burst, and slow to-fast through, etc. There’s a lot to learn to be all you can be as a RB and having a good teacher seems like a smart move. jmo.

So why didn’t we hire an elite running backs coach or at least one with a resume? Pro Football Focus may provide the best answer I can find right now (Note: I’m not saying Mack won’t do a good job; I’m just saying I don’t find anything in his history that indicates he’s developed RBs in the past, not that he hasn’t).

Now into our fourth position, we’re gaining the ability to intelligently compare the market between positions, and the top 10 running backs coaches make about as much as the top 10 defensive backs coaches.

How does that make sense, given that in post-modern football defensive backs coaches are responsible for four (or five) (or six) players on the field at one time, while running backs coaches are responsible for just one? In a game where the running back position seemingly loses importance by the year, how are running backs coaches still getting paid?

Running backs coaches are often expected to be rain-makers on the recruiting trail. Whether or not they’re compensated in the form of a recruiting coordinator or assistant head coach title or not, the best ones are compensated in dollar amounts.

Mack’s hometown is Memphis, TN. – Given his coaching history and potential ties in the community, if he’s recruiting Memphis for us, I’m thinking that could probably be a very smart and strategic move. jmo.

In the LOS post from last week Football Outsiders showed the tremendous progress we have made rebuilding our lines on both sides of the ball since starting from scratch in 2018. One other thing worth perhaps noting, in the Golesh article we saw where Alex had achieved really amazing results with the tight ends group at Iowa State. Here’s the thing. It didn’t happen in the first 2 years; the results, 1st team all-Big 12, All-American, 75 catches, 10 TDs, that didn’t come until year 3 and none of the 3 guys were highly rated. You might not find too many P5 players rated lower than those 3 guys. Heck, one of them was a converted offensive tackle. I thought it was interesting to note than in 2020 after Alex had moved on the guys still performed at an incredibly high level, even with a less number of games, garnering 82 receptions and 9 TDs on the year. That’s real development. jmo.

First off they aren’t all “Freshman” Jabari Small, Dee Beckwith, Tee Hodge, and Tiyon Evans are Sophomores.

Of the individuals I listed Tiyon Evans and Jabari Small have proven they can block very well.

Tiyon Evans is a better RB than Eric Gray, he is literally a home run waiting to happen who can break tackles and block. Jabari Small is your guy if you want someone who isn’t afraid to get that extra yardage by lowering his shoulder and he is an excellent blocker.

As for the other guys, they will find their rhythm but like you said if they can’t block they won’t play. So, good thing we have so many. All of them are good though, example was Dee Beckwith in his like 10 to 15yd reception. As for Hodge the only thing that kept him from seeing time was injuries.
Sorry I said freshman I meant new comers and guys who didn’t play ahead of chandler and Gray.. so, I’ve seen Gray. He was almost a lone bright spot, you are speculating on everyone else.. but I’m sure you have a great eye for talent!

Sorry I said freshman I meant new comers and guys who didn’t play ahead of chandler and Gray.. so, I’ve seen Gray. He was almost a lone bright spot, you are speculating on everyone else.. but I’m sure you have a great eye for talent!
Gray got our QBs killed on multiple occasions and so did Ty Chandler. Both were not good at blocking. The only reason they started is because they could run.

Our Blocking RB was Tim Jordan and he got dismissed from the team for Possession of Marijuana and a firearm. Jordan would come in when we needed to pass protect. Otherwise we had to run a tightend on the field “Austin Pope” to pass protect.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

IMO, Evans will be a breakout player for us. USCe wanted him badly out of HS as well as from Hutchinson. Solidly built, quick acceleration, breaks tackles, blocks well in pass pro. Had a good arm in HS as a QB, so there can be a play or two designed for that.

Beckwith is intriguing. Anxious to see what happens with him. Jaylen Wright is a blur in the open field in his highlights. We are fine at RB.

IMO, Evans will be a breakout player for us. USCe wanted him badly out of HS as well as from Hutchinson. Solidly built, quick acceleration, breaks tackles, blocks well in pass pro. Had a good arm in HS as a QB, so there can be a play or two designed for that.

Beckwith is intriguing. Anxious to see what happens with him. Jaylen Wright is a blur in the open field in his highlights. We are fine at RB.
Agree with everything. Beckwith I believe will be used as a Big Flex guy.... maybe dual RB set?

Gray got our QBs killed on multiple occasions and so did Ty Chandler. Both were not good at blocking. The only reason they started is because they could run.

Our Blocking RB was Tim Jordan and he got dismissed from the team for Possession of Marijuana and a firearm. Jordan would come in when we needed to pass protect. Otherwise we had to run a tightend on the field “Austin Pope” to pass protect.

You have no clue what you are talking about.
So.. why didn’t beckwith and all the others come in in passing situations? Have You seen all the newcomers pass block in the sec? On a consistent basis? Why do you think pass pro by the running back room will improve? There is no evidence to suggest it will be better other than you wanting it to..
I’m not saying it can’t or won’t be better I’m saying you haven’t seen anyone in the room currently play more than 100 sec snaps!

Agree with everything. Beckwith I believe will be used as a Big Flex guy.... maybe dual RB set?

You know CJH is licking his chops over how to use him. Flex RB sounds right to me along with receiver. CJH uses some big joker type guys on the outside as well as the slot at times. Really looking forward to seeing what happens.

So.. why didn’t beckwith and all the others come in in passing situations? Have You seen all the newcomers pass block in the sec? On a consistent basis? Why do you think pass pro by the running back room will improve? There is no evidence to suggest it will be better other than you wanting it to..
I’m not saying it can’t or won’t be better I’m saying you haven’t seen anyone in the room currently play more than 100 sec snaps!

The others were True Freshman.... the one True Freshman who was getting noticed before he got hurt was Hodge.

The RB order was Chandler (until he sucked), Gray, Hodge (until he got hurt), Smalls.

Beckwith was literally learning the position and the playbook and also got injured. Which hampered him playing.

Did you even follow the season?

As for the new comers Tiyon Evans proved his in JUCO, and Jaylen Wright will be coached up in this system.

These RBs will be good.

The others were True Freshman.... the one True Freshman who was getting noticed before he got hurt was Hodge.

The RB order was Chandler (until he sucked), Gray, Hodge (until he got hurt), Smalls.

Beckwith was literally learning the position and the playbook and also got injured. Which hampered him playing.

Did you even follow the season?

As for the new comers Tiyon Evans proved his in JUCO, and Jaylen Wright will be coached up in this system.

These RBs will be good.
So you’re hoping it will be better? I asked for concrete facts in sec play and you talked about injuries juco and how the new staff will coach em up!!! Hope in one hand and... well you know what In the other...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back