Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Chris Low wrote an article on ESPN saying these are all names we pursued that weren't interested.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach

I don't think all of those names got legit offers, but they were all contacted at least. The one that I don't understand passing is Tony Elliott. Franklin likely was entertaining the idea to get something from Penn State, Fickell was likely a short conversation as I've said in the past he seems content to wait out a Big 10 offer. Sonny Dykes is in a great spot for himself right now, makes good money and has SMU doing well clears close to 1.5m if not more. PJ Fleck also seems to be in a good spot with a program he's still building, and is already making more than 4.5m a year not sure we were going to offer him a big enough raise to start over in a bigger spotlight.

But Elliott would have nothing to lose, first time HC taking over a SEC juggernaut in hibernation dealing with NCAA violations....if he fails plenty of justifiable reasons for it. BUT if he succeeds...he could be plucked from UT for the NFL writing his own ticket within a few seasons.
It's been reported he was considering the job but someone in staff at Clemson who has some kind of it ties with Tennessee convinced him. We didn't pass on him Elliott passed on us.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Looked at some initial coaching records for several guys for their first three full years as a new collegiate HC (all levels). Obviously, circumstances (state of respective program, roster talent, level of competition, etc.) varied, but still thought it was interesting, especially when looking at Heupel's record (28-8).

Kiffin 25-13
Freeze 30-7
Campbell 25-13
Fulmer 29-7
Spurrier 20-13-1
B. Stoops 31-7
Meyer 27-8
Smart 32-10
Saban 21-13-1
Mullen 21-17

Again, there are many variables that could warrant extensive analysis, but chose to look at w/l records only. Maybe, just maybe, we found our future tenured HC. Only time will tell! 🤞
Huepel is most similar to Urban. We got Urban 2.0 without health issues. Someone make sure Huepel uses the treadmill to deal with stress and not McDonald's

I don't think so. I think it was Heuple since before White was hired. All the other stuff was window dressing. I know I sound like a tinfoil hat guy right now but I believe this has been in the works for weeks.

I agree.

Danny may have just been leaking nonsense for 5 days to make it look like we struck out while Heupel was just lying in wait. I don’t think Danny did much work here. Which will be fine if it works. Maybe he didn’t nee to and Josh is that dude. But I’m not patting Danny on the back just yet.

I’m thankful he took the job, by all accounts he’ll steady everything and make good hires. We fans just romanticize this coaching search stuff, fueled by our insiders on here no doubt.

Edit: although I can’t reconcile Sonny Freakin Dykes 😂 I wouldn’t leak that. Unless it’s to juxtapose James Franklin,

Last edited:
I disagree that it isn't going to work, I just don't think he is doing it the right way. Let's say DW and the circle of trust at the top is A. I think DW is going to big too soon and trying to jump from A-Z. I think he needs to start with A pumping a positive message, have all coaches on campus act as B and push the message, add in the players at C. Then go VFL's, Media, students etc... down to the bottom of the fan base. You cant just show up less then a week on the job and tell a fan base hey its a new day lets all be positive. We've seen/heard this before. Show us and it starts from the top down.

Actions versus words? On point messaging versus condescension? Building trust versus shoving it down fans' throats? Truth telling versus hype? Respecting others' intelligence versus selling narratives?

C'mon, you know that's not the Tennessee way. He may be 100% correct and blow it just like you suggest.

Having said that I am not "out" on the 4 leg stool or Josh Heupel at all. Especially if they learn from them and get it right. They are all new in their roles. But just stop making shiz up and following the leads of the advisors and boosters who have effed this program up for 15 years. They need to chart a different path with different ways of doing things that are the Tennessee way - not what somebody else is doing that fits different circumstances. If they do this really could be the decade of the Vols with a trajectory that is sustainable into the long term future.

Donde wanting diversity in the hire is fine. Just do it in the first 48 hours - not a week or more later. Don't let a starving Vol fan base hang out there thinking that a proven star is going to save the day instead of a white knight up and comer from UCF giving it a try. Do it knowing that most accomplished coaches of any skin color are going to say no to a dumpster fire in NCAA trouble and prepare the masses. Win the day, a day at a time. After 48 hours pass, sell the tag team and tell people you canvassed the entire network of potential coaches.

BTW - good post. With this I am moving on from recent past events in my posts. It's a new day. Choose joy.

Reactions: T Dog
So Chris Low wrote an article on ESPN saying these are all names we pursued that weren't interested.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach

I don't think all of those names got legit offers, but they were all contacted at least. The one that I don't understand passing is Tony Elliott. Franklin likely was entertaining the idea to get something from Penn State, Fickell was likely a short conversation as I've said in the past he seems content to wait out a Big 10 offer. Sonny Dykes is in a great spot for himself right now, makes good money and has SMU doing well clears close to 1.5m if not more. PJ Fleck also seems to be in a good spot with a program he's still building, and is already making more than 4.5m a year not sure we were going to offer him a big enough raise to start over in a bigger spotlight.

But Elliott would have nothing to lose, first time HC taking over a SEC juggernaut in hibernation dealing with NCAA violations....if he fails plenty of justifiable reasons for it. BUT if he succeeds...he could be plucked from UT for the NFL writing his own ticket within a few seasons.
Ive hemmed and hawed on TE. Ultimately I trust White's decision. TE needs to earn his stripes, like Hypeul. We needed a sitting HC. Dude calls plays with NFL talent.

Ive watched that Clemson offense, and, I'm not wild about it. What always struck me abiut Clemson was overall team speed. That's what killed us with Beldar, we were slow.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I'm fine with JH. I really don't think we could have landed Franklin or Campbell or Fickel unless it was after 21-22 season which means JP would have been around another year or Steele interim coach. Let's roll with it!!!

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Well saying White passed on Elliot may not be true. Elliot had already turned down two offers to the NFL. Personally, I wouldn't want to come to a toxic place for my first HC either. I would want a fighting chance for my first time. lol
Elliott was going to take the job and other coaches talked him out of it as he was trying to put a staff together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back