Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
tenor.gif

I posted yesterday that I thought this was the plan all along.

Not sure how many noticed, but in DW's press conference the other day, he made reference to being "contacted by UT two weeks ago" which would have been well before Fulmer was fired. These timelines match up....

I don't think so. I think it was Heuple since before White was hired. All the other stuff was window dressing. I know I sound like a tinfoil hat guy right now but I believe this has been in the works for weeks.

Yes Tin man you do. lol I still say there wasn't any successful coaches going to leave their program to come to this dumpster fire.

So Chris Low wrote an article on ESPN saying these are all names we pursued that weren't interested.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach
White cast a wide net through the Parker Executive Search firm and reached out to and/or interviewed several candidates, including Penn State's James Franklin, Cincinnati's Luke Fickell, SMU's Sonny Dykes, Minnesota's PJ Fleck and Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott, among others.

I don't think all of those names got legit offers, but they were all contacted at least. The one that I don't understand passing is Tony Elliott. Franklin likely was entertaining the idea to get something from Penn State, Fickell was likely a short conversation as I've said in the past he seems content to wait out a Big 10 offer. Sonny Dykes is in a great spot for himself right now, makes good money and has SMU doing well clears close to 1.5m if not more. PJ Fleck also seems to be in a good spot with a program he's still building, and is already making more than 4.5m a year not sure we were going to offer him a big enough raise to start over in a bigger spotlight.

But Elliott would have nothing to lose, first time HC taking over a SEC juggernaut in hibernation dealing with NCAA violations....if he fails plenty of justifiable reasons for it. BUT if he succeeds...he could be plucked from UT for the NFL writing his own ticket within a few seasons.

Took yesterday off for the most part and now that I've digested it a bit I'm not upset at the hire. I don't think he's going to turn us into world beaters next year but I do think (hope) he can start to actually build us back to relevancy. I, of course, would've loved a Bob Stoops, Chris Petersen, Matt Campbell "splash" hire but the reality is this job is not coveted like it once was. Again I don't expect this guy to go down as a legend here but maybe, just maybe, he can make our games entertaining again. I guess, for me as a fan this isn't the end of the world, I realize we have a long road back so might as well get started now helping this guy push us back up the hill. Go Vols!

Per the VQ Podcast, sounds like no on Lebby, Shannon, Barry Odom and likely no on Steele.

Would like to have had lebby but I’m not worried about it really seeing as JH is the play caller and main QB coach. I’m also cool with going the unknown route for DC. A lot of bright coaches out there looking for an opportunity

White can feed that stuff to them. When did Franklin get that pub you said he'd get by formally turning the job down you predicted? I'm sure they reached out and got the "nos" they were looking for.

The AD at penn state confirmed the interest from tenn

if you believe white fed vq the franklin stuff you also have to believe he did the same on JH. I ain’t buying that

Heupel is also taking a big risk coming here. UT will chew you up and spit you out and severely limit your HC opportunities in the future. Hopefully he has thick skin and can survive what the fans will eventually dish out.
may be why white has been the one to step out in front on the negativity stuff...can insulate JH to certain degree by taking the heat for his handling of how he addressed negativity, so JH can go to work. bold strategy if true, and not all together a bad one....lol.

So Chris Low wrote an article on ESPN saying these are all names we pursued that weren't interested.

UCF's Heupel named Tennessee's next coach

I don't think all of those names got legit offers, but they were all contacted at least. The one that I don't understand passing is Tony Elliott. Franklin likely was entertaining the idea to get something from Penn State, Fickell was likely a short conversation as I've said in the past he seems content to wait out a Big 10 offer. Sonny Dykes is in a great spot for himself right now, makes good money and has SMU doing well clears close to 1.5m if not more. PJ Fleck also seems to be in a good spot with a program he's still building, and is already making more than 4.5m a year not sure we were going to offer him a big enough raise to start over in a bigger spotlight.

But Elliott would have nothing to lose, first time HC taking over a SEC juggernaut in hibernation dealing with NCAA violations....if he fails plenty of justifiable reasons for it. BUT if he succeeds...he could be plucked from UT for the NFL writing his own ticket within a few seasons.

Well saying White passed on Elliot may not be true. Elliot had already turned down two offers to the NFL. Personally, I wouldn't want to come to a toxic place for my first HC either. I would want a fighting chance for my first time. lol

Reactions: Sleegro
Looked at some initial coaching records for several guys for their first three full years as a new collegiate HC (all levels). Obviously, circumstances (state of respective program, roster talent, level of competition, etc.) varied, but still thought it was interesting, especially when looking at Heupel's record (28-8).

Kiffin 25-13
Freeze 30-7
Campbell 25-13
Fulmer 29-7
Spurrier 20-13-1
B. Stoops 31-7
Meyer 27-8
Smart 32-10
Saban 21-13-1
Mullen 21-17

Again, there are many variables that could warrant extensive analysis, but chose to look at w/l records only. Maybe, just maybe, we found our future tenured HC. Only time will tell! 🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back