Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
LA, do you know if Campbell was even contacted? I knew it was a long shot, but I just kept thinking 40 mill, or 7 to 8 mill per, gave us a slight chance...nine times out of ten, money walks, talks, and breakdances. Campbell doesn't seem like a dude driven by money, but...40 million is 40 mother effin million, you know.
I think he was one of the very short 'guage interest' conversations...

Reactions: Sleegro and SugarCC
What that tells me it's DW set it up properly, and was likely pretty honest when talking scenarios with Boyd and plowman.

I think DW probably wanted JH all along, and as things progressed how they progressed, the others fell quickly in line. By all accounts, once the search started, it was organized and amicable, which for UT is quite commendable.

I’ve got a little different angle on that. Most of the people offended at him being snippy aren’t the $ folks. I think most of the $ people list will be excited to see an effort to limit the negative vibes on social media. Thus increasing he ability to raise $

Jmo
Maybe, but I'd rather him do it through a media campaign through VFL's, players, coaches alumni etc... then walk in here and tell this fanbase hey stop. Its just comes across as tone deaf.

You aren't going to get an argument out of ms that the fan base has issues it does. I just think he needs to go about it a different way. Go on a public campaign. Have VFL's go on media, talk shows, Twitter and pump the positive energy. His message isn't going to be well received, he's been on the job less than a week just comes across as tone deaf
Yep.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
LA, do you know if Campbell was even contacted? I knew it was a long shot, but I just kept thinking 40 mill, or 7 to 8 mill per, gave us a slight chance...nine times out of ten, money walks, talks, and breakdances. Campbell doesn't seem like a dude driven by money, but...40 million is 40 mother effin million, you know.

Adam Rittenberg said today on ESPNU that we contacted at least Campbell, Fickell, and Franklin. Campbell and Fickell were quick no’s

Crazy to me how a Twitter account from Elon Musk can affect an entire company’s valuation (GameStop) based on his mention of a Reddit thread. This feels like nuovo elites are in a grudge match against historical elites. Reminds me of fight club where Elon is the alter ego (Brad Pitt) version of Edward Norton. I studied finance for 8 years (in 1996-2004). This is foreign to me now. Social law has taken over. Hell, maybe Mr. Met is right. I’m bullish on many businesses right now but this feels like 2005-2007 valuations.
So, you think the market and economy should be tightly controlled instead of free

That was an alarm bell for me and when pretty much out of the blue AV repeated those sentiments with the whole fall in-line post he gave back when we were still debating various hires that was uncharacteristically over emotional and hard line for him; it was obvious then that Team Haslam was orchestrating the 'how to deal with fans' portion of things and that DW and everyone else on the Haslam train was following that path. I knew then that we were about to make a hire fans wouldn't like and that they were trying to do it while leaving us completely in the dark. It was so orchestrated that I think Heupel was the choice all along. The rest was pretend.

I think DW will eventually learn that the Haslams are the last people he needs to consult with on how to deal with fans, especially Vol fans (their fan relations and hamfisted attempt to power through a hire is what bungled the last search), but he's probably gonna have to learn it the hard way. The only reason he hasn't felt a harsher backlash is Heupel is a better hire with less baggage than Schiano. But more and more, I think the entire 'search' was a farce and this was it all along.
It just comes across bad. Hey I showed up here so stop. Isnt going to work on a fan base that is starved for winning

Reactions: UTProf
Two ways to look at it:

1) Could we have done better? Sure. But the Chancellor wasn't going to stand for some of these coaches, and they were working with a specific profile. Finding a fit within certain parameters isn't easy, especially when you factor in UT's current situation.

2) Could we have done worse? Definitely. Building in a safety net set the floor, and we got a good AD in the bargain. It's always nice to have a guy in your backpocket. That was a smart move.

We avoided freefalling, stopped the bleeding and now we can rebuild.
And most importantly IMO, we avoided an ugly, desperate search played out in the media. It was handled as well as it could be given the circumstances.

It just comes across bad. Hey I showed up here so stop. Isnt going to work on a fan base that is starved for winning

It's not going to work on any fanbase. That is the way CEOs treat employees. We're not employees. We are the people you're trying to sell something to. Your job is to run the program and kiss our ass not the other way around. DW has to earn our trust. We don't know him or give a damn about his family legacy. We will pump that up once we see results but until then you gotta earn it. You can't bully us into going along.

I think DW probably wanted JH all along, and as things progressed how they progressed, the others fell quickly in line. By all accounts, once the search started, it was organized and amicable, which for UT is quite commendable.
Maybe (on wanting JH from the jump).. Either way DW had to have an idea what was likely to happen with the names they were shooting for... Not a bad idea to have a back up to the back up and have everyone aware of its likelihood of happening... Thus, buy in...

Anyway... I've no problem with process as it's played out.. Results not withstanding.. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back