Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Schiano uprising, while considered a win for UT fans, is perceived overwhelmingly negatively across the sports landscape. Our fanbase is considered toxic on a national level.

That’s not me blaming everything on our fanbase. Our admin takes the cake there.

But it is facts.
i think, and this is jmo, a better way to describe the fans' role in this is having a lack of situational awareness.....and remaining blind to that....how we got here is not the fans' fault. that we stay here....we play a role....a small role probably, but a coach looks at hte whole picture...
admin a mess, decade of dysfunction, ncaa cloud, and a fan base that's off the rail........

it's the sum of the parts...we're a part.

Reactions: MarcoVol
Dooley got several nfl players. I’m not worried about recruiting. No one should be. We will be right around 12-20 at worst.
The brand of UT football wasn't completely tarnished when Dooley took over either, but I really think recruiting will be fine as long as he brings in the right staff. That's going to be EXTREMELY important and can't be overstated. I'm a little worried that the sanctions, toxicity, etc prevent him from bringing in a good staff, same is it prevented UT from bringing in a home run HC.

I would like to put something out there I'm hearing:

We all think Danny White hired his buddy and that it was a lazy decision - one that could have been made as soon as DW took the job.

However, I'm hearing a different story. We searched the country trying to find coaches who fit the profile we were looking for: clean with the NCAA, offensive mind with a legitimate track record in a P5 conference, and obviously, interest in this job through sanctions.

That list of coaches was very short. Elliott, Dykes, Leipold. James Franklin faked interest to use us for a raise and facility upgrades.

So, what I'm telling you is the only reason we landed on Josh Heupel was not that Danny White wanted him all along. In fact, I think it was the opposite. We turned over every rock, turned every corner, only to realize our candidate pool was very shallow. And while Heupel had reservations about taking the job, White's personal relationship with him was able to bridge the gap.

I agree 100%. It's really an intellectually lazy argument to say we spent 120k with a search firm only to hire his buddy. This guy did all he could to hire someone that fit the criteria given. When that didn't work, he worked his fall-back and quickly i might add.......... and we are ending up with a sitting HC that has a great offensive background, both as a player and a coach.

I'd encourage VN to go back and read all of the crap Rick Barnes took on this board when he was hired. That one worked pretty well and I think this one will also.

Been trying to find some hype videos or pregame speeches for Heupel to see what kind of fire he's got. Not really having much success.

Anyone? Sounds like he's got the x's and o's but I just wonder how inspiring he is. I know you say Tennessee recruits itself but I just worry about his ability to pull in the big recruits needed in the sec. I don't like hearing he's a lazy recruiter.

But if he's the guy then he has my support. From Whites reputation you have to trust he's going to make the best hire he has available. Everyone have a great day and hopefully today is the day we can finally put this search to bed.
I've never heard he's a lazy recruiter. He actually recruited higher rated guys than frost and brought in a ton of transfers that contributed. His team rankings within the AAC dropped because other teams in the conference started hiring better coaches and getting better talent as UCF helped bring the reputation of the conference up. Teams like Cincy, Memphis, SMU and Tulsa made good hires and have all become really good teams. Hell, Houston poached a sitting coach at WVU.

Reactions: NMVol
This is what I know. Josh Heupel does not strike fear in our opponents. Once again, other fanbases are laughing at us. We, as fans, were talking about actual big name coaches based off what we were told by the university's leaders and our supposed insiders, but once again, it was all bull ****. So now, here we sit with egg on our face, again. I don't believe in the media myth that it's our "toxic fanbase". That's a story concocted by media to cover for what's really toxic about UT, an incompetent administration and squabbling boosters. Fans will love anyone who wins. I hope and pray that despite not being the level of hire we expected, Heupel finds a way to do that. I'll give him every chance as a fan to prove he's not the disappointment he currently feels to be. But that does not change the fact we are once again the laughing stock of the country. As a fan, it hurts. I was hoping for better from Boyd, Plowman, and White, but right now, it really just seems like more of the same. It's time for this fanbase to just lose its passion and accept our once greatness is dead. At most, we are and will probably continue to be a middle of the road SEC program. Maybe we can hope to finish third in the East behind Florida and Georgia from now on. Hope that we don't get passed by Mizzou or Kentucky or South Carolina. It's sad, and it leaves me depressed. I feel like my favorite dog just died. I really hate this.

did Low just say Steele will not be retained? If so, you guys need to pay attention to this if true... that's the only way we are getting a balanced steady defense and have a prayer of recruiting D players...

Ya'll so caught up in offense, don't forget to play defense.... very disturbing if true.

Supporting staff strength is the only prayer we have and it sounds like it's not good.

Odom?

The brand of UT football wasn't completely tarnished when Dooley took over either, but I really think recruiting will be fine as long as he brings in the right staff. That's going to be EXTREMELY important and can't be overstated. I'm a little worried that the sanctions, toxicity, etc prevent him from bringing in a good staff, same is it prevented UT from bringing in a home run HC.
He will probably have to bring his entire UCF staff with him.

Most of us aren’t happy with how this search went but that’s because we believed “insiders” were going to bring us Bob Stoops or Matt Campbell. They didn’t. That sucks. Time to move on, we have Heupel.

Guys, UT recruits itself. Heupel with some good assistants will be top 20 without a doubt, even under this NCAA cloud. Could be Top 10 if he hires guys like Garner and keeps Steele and Graham. At the very least we’re going to be fun to watch on offense. That’ll be a nice change of pace.

Am I doing backflips at this hire? No. But his resume is better than the last few coaches we’ve hired. I’m ready to see what he can do. Let’s go!
All aboard the Heup train. Gotta just ride it out this might work out we just don’t know GBO!

This is what I know. Josh Heupel does not strike fear in our opponents. Once again, other fanbases are laughing at us. We, as fans, were talking about actual big name coaches based off what we were told by the university's leaders and our supposed insiders, but once again, it was all bull ****. So now, here we sit with egg on our face, again. I don't believe in the media myth that it's our "toxic fanbase". That's a story concocted by media to cover for what's really toxic about UT, an incompetent administration and squabbling boosters. Fans will love anyone who wins. I hope and pray that despite not being the level of hire we expected, Heupel finds a way to do that. I'll give him every chance as a fan to prove he's not the disappointment he currently feels to be. But that does not change the fact we are once again the laughing stock of the country. As a fan, it hurts. I was hoping for better from Boyd, Plowman, and White, but right now, it really just seems like more of the same. It's time for this fanbase to just lose its passion and accept our once greatness is dead. At most, we are and will probably continue to be a middle of the road SEC program. Maybe we can hope to finish third in the East behind Florida and Georgia from now on. Hope that we don't get passed by Mizzou or Kentucky or South Carolina. It's sad, and it leaves me depressed. I feel like my favorite dog just died. I really hate this.

Exact thoughts

There are a handful of homegrown Vols fans content creators on social media that have been positively reinforced for years now to be miserable and make everything horrible. The rest of the fanbase likes and retweets those opinions and bases their attitude on the leadership of a few.

You could beg them not to make memes and videos, but they will. Only Kiffin could have galvanized the fan base and turned our best resource (our piss and vinegar attitude) outward to the world instead of inward on itself.

If you don't like miserable fans, just win.
Bingo.

"He can't recruit!" - Gets 8th-15th ranked class.

"Best recruiter in the country!" - Gets 8th-15th ranked class.

I'll worry about recruiting after he completely whiffs on a class. Until then. It's whatever. Hopefully he can win with decent talent, but less talent than 3-4 teams on our schedule every year.
He'll likely get some great QBs and that should help with the rest of the class too.

Reactions: SoilVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back