Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen Linda, there is not one single fan base that doesn’t have people wanting their coach to be gone. Hell I bet even some bammers want Saban out. Maybe, maybe not. The problem is you can’t make everyone happy but let’s not make his stent here toxic before he even gets a chance.
He won't have to worry about me. I'll say the same thing I said about Pruitt, Butch, and Dooley. Give him 3-4 years before making decisions.

He's inheriting a mess. Can only think of one scenario that would be worse.

Dan Wolken actually said something I agree with. He said Tennessee should have just fired Pruitt and paid him instead of digging around to find dirt and bury our own program and the job would have been 10 times more attractive. This is so Tennessee 😞🤦🏼‍♂️🍊🏈🔥🔥🔥🗑🗑🗑
I don't believe that is how this happened. If I recall, this all started with a whistle-blower to the admin. They had to take the necessary steps, it would have come out eventually and been much worse.

We're about to hand off the program to a guy who can't recruit. With scholarship reductions. Our best players are in the portal and I'm sure we'll see more after today.

This is Dooley all over again

You look dumb when you compare Heupel to Dooley.

They are nothing alike. Their records are nothing alike. They are in no way similar

JH has coached and developed a heisman winner in Sam Bradford and a 2nd round pick in Drew Locke.... both went on to have lack luster nfl careers... (Locke still playing but days as a starter may be over). So it’s a fair argument to wonder if JH was the main reason for their rise. We have two 5 star QBs and (hooker isn’t a scrub from VT he made some big time plays this year was just up and down) and he’s proven to be a QB/offensive wizard so let’s see what he can do.

Also in 3 years.... he’s lost 7 regular season by 27 points. He’s only lost one game by double digits and it’s was a meaningless bowl game vs byu who has a top 5 QB draft pick.

The more i find out about him the more i like the hire. Props to Danny, he tried to land big fish. Pruitt ruined any chances of that.

Let’s fn ride boys
there is a path. it's a bit bumpy, and the weather doesn't look all that great......but if you can get thru that......who knows.....

i agree, though. i think it's not as bad as being portrayed....i think?

Reactions: bpvol
We aren't gonna recruit against the big dogs consistently, year in and year out. Geographically we are limited, and there are too many top programs in our immediate vicinity. Thus, our best option is to have a high-flying offense that puts up a lot of points. That can keep us in the game.

Granted, you still have to recruit WELL. Can't ignore it and have classes ranked in the 40s and hope for wins. But I don't think filling out a staff with great recruiters is gonna get us where we want to be. We just did that under Pruitt, actually. No matter how many good recruiters we have, we're still gonna have a somewhat second-rate SEC roster.
Why does it just have to be great recruiters? Why can't they be both? We had one chance to get this right. You had to excite the fanbase, and get the current players and new signees to stay. Sure, Helper will come in here and have any exciting offense, but what is the end game to that? Where do you see us in 10 years with this move?

If Danny White's sales pitch at today's presser is anything like it was to James Franklin, Sonny Dykes, and whoever else said no, then I don't see this fan base buying it either.

Yeah, vol Twitter doesn’t help any when they email and DM coaches. That’s the downside with passion. You tend to be very reactionary.

Other fanbases are passionate too and don't act in the same way. This fanbase got a coach fired because they thought he sucked and used his history as a scapegoat. Coaches make note and there are consequences.

haha...reading the room and social media this morning, the Admin may not get their wish of "getting behind this hire".

wow they are getting torched and he hasn't even reached the podium.

Just a baaaaaaad look. We are TN!

If they thought so, then this bunch is as clueless as the last.
A whole 3 years of HC experience in the minors and took the team from 12-1 to 6-4!
Just what we were looking for 🤨

Why does it just have to be great recruiters? Why can't they be both? We had one chance to get this right. You had to excite the fanbase, and get the current players and new signees to stay. Sure, Helper will come in here and have any exciting offense, but what is the end game to that? Where do you see us in 10 years with this move?

Because there are only so many guys who are great positional coaches and great recruiters, and they are all already at other schools and have no real interest in coming to UT. As we just saw.

Most of us aren’t happy with how this search went but that’s because we believed “insiders” were going to bring us Bob Stoops or Matt Campbell. They didn’t. That sucks. Time to move on, we have Heupel.

Guys, UT recruits itself. Heupel with some good assistants will be top 20 without a doubt, even under this NCAA cloud. Could be Top 10 if he hires guys like Garner and keeps Steele and Graham. At the very least we’re going to be fun to watch on offense. That’ll be a nice change of pace.

Am I doing backflips at this hire? No. But his resume is better than the last few coaches we’ve hired. I’m ready to see what he can do. Let’s go!

I’m indifferent on Heupel and maybe it’s the apathy in me. BVS is real. I do believe that our offense will take a huge leap next year. We have weapons in place that fit Heuepel’s system. I do hope that he retains Steele and gives him full control as a DC. And if he can bring in Lebby, even better.

Offense was never the problem at UCF. The defenses got progressively worse over his three seasons there. They put over 850 yards in a game this season. Lost it, but I’ll kill to see us our yards up like that again, especially in an offensive driven game now.

I’m very concerned about his recruiting. But if he can translate his offense to the SEC and have us moving the ball over 450 yards a game instead of struggling to hit 300, we may be okay. Not great but decent enough to stabilize. I’m not bought in with him. He’ll have to earn the trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back