Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ain’t going to lie I like having this longshot bet ticket on Mullen getting the job with absolutely no one talking about him

I bought that ticket a few days back

It’s safe to say absolutely nobody in the media knows what they are talking about at this point. They are completely in the dark and merely sharing things to get clicks and money.

We will know who it is when we know.

Just please don’t be a coordinator

Reactions: jakez4ut
The fanbase not wanting a coach, for whatever reason, isn't a red flag. If a coach is scared of a large boisterous fanbase then perhaps championship level programs are not for him. That's an indictment on the coach. Not the fans.
Can you please change your availability. I've seen it like 4 times and thought it was Atlanta every time

Clay Travis interviewed Sankey and he said he is not stopping or discouraging anyone from hiring Freeze. He would be ok with it. I wish Tennessee would interview Freeze. We know he wants the job and would win big at Tennessee in my opinion. 🥶🍊🏈

Ive read portions of the transcript and my takeaway was not as positive as yours especially regarding the "he would be okay with it".

It seems as if he's saying that he can't do anything to stop it, but he sees his role as an advisor and suggests that schools make competent thoughtful and well researched decisions.

It wasn't an endorsement or an indictment and read, to me, as a "be careful what you wish for".

Reactions: Sleegro
Elliott, Pruitt and Morris are all different people and coaches. Just because Pruitt failed here and Morris failed at Arkansas doesn't mean Elliott will fail here.

Not sure Morris is as bad as perception. SMU having success after he left with roster he provided and it was obvious he left behind Pittman a competitive roster and he only got 2 years. So that tells me he knows how to recruit good players to build a foundation. His biggest mistake was even taking Arkansas job in that division and hiring John Chavis who could not handle today’s offenses

Reactions: SweetasSoda
With the NCAA sanctions going on and numerous players lost to the transfer portal, hiring a coordinator that has to learn on the job through all of this, is way too huge of a risk.

There’s no proof Elliot will make a good HC.
Not wrong.

When taking about Elliott, there's very good reasoning on both sides of the conversation...

I do lean this way tho. They want experience first, rightfully so. Elliott is a smokescreen, and fall back imo.

But... If we wind up there... He's not Pruitt 2.0. he's much more highly regarded as a HC candidate, by a pretty large audience... And has a really consistent track record.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Elliott is highly thought of. Sure, he may be just a coordinator, but he's turned down several great job opportunities. He doesn't listen to just anyone. Would I prefer a proven HC? Absolutely. But the fact Elliott is willing to listen to White when he has refused so many others is impressive. People have been trying to pry him away from Dabo for the last few years, without success. As far as coordinators go, he's one of the most highly sought after ones out there. And to act like a coordinator can't succeed is silly. All coaches work their way up. Kirby had no HC experience when he took over UGA and he's doing okay. Mullen had never been a HC before taking over Miss State. Coordinators can and do succeed. Elliott isn't my first choice, but if we've worked our list and land on him, I'll give him a chance. He's a better choice than Sonny Dykes or Will Healy, IMO.
I can't deny any of that and that makes it sound better than it really is.
I'll be forced to give him a chance.
But damn dude... this is getting so old.

Yep, I've turned down projects that aren't what I'm looking for at that particular time. And I've taken a few projects just because the money was too good to pass up and they, predictably, weren't the best experiences. Coaches are no different. They could pass because of timing, location, family, fit, personal goals or any number of factors. We need a guy who wants to be at UT, is up for the challenge, meshes well with our personnel, wants to win and is ready to rebuild.
Those don't grow on trees? Huh.. Who knew?

Elliott, Pruitt and Morris are all different people and coaches. Just because Pruitt failed here and Morris failed at Arkansas doesn't mean Elliott will fail here.
Like Pruitt, he had all the talent. I'd rather go with even the Coastal Carolina guy-- actually any head coach who did more with less over a successful coordinator. (That said, I will support who ever they decide to put in there) (this post has been edited for clarity)

Last edited:
They are two completely different people and coaches. Just because Pruitt failed doesn't mean Elliott will.

Find me coordinators who their first job was a big power 5 job and had success. List is super short. Odds aren't in your favor. Kirby walked into a gold mine and has had success. If it takes more than 5 minutes to find that answer out, then there's your sign. Doesn't happen often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back