Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I think we all get that... And from the candidate side... If you're really not interested those conversations are either really short, or you find out fairly quick what line the program won't cross to close a deal...

And sometimes.. It's just a non starter. Speaking from experience I have turned down an opportunity before because of a requirement to move.. Situationally speaking, it just wasn't the right time.

And our situation right now, to your point on the candidate waiting on something specific, either makes that process a little longer if negotiating a deal between two interested parties... Or it's really really short...

Yep, I've turned down projects that aren't what I'm looking for at that particular time. And I've taken a few projects just because the money was too good to pass up and they, predictably, weren't the best experiences. Coaches are no different. They could pass because of timing, location, family, fit, personal goals or any number of factors. We need a guy who wants to be at UT, is up for the challenge, meshes well with our personnel, wants to win and is ready to rebuild.

It’s not about anyone here saying it, it’s about what the dude who has made a career of making the right choice there is saying.
I don't really have any options other than to bitch about what I consider to be dumb hires.
And then scream I told you so in 3 years.
I'm certainly not gonna sit around and NOT comment on it.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Frankly it’s ridiculous if UT is not strongly considering Freeze. Everyone else is and if Sankey is in the way DW needs to go see him and earn his $....
Clay Travis interviewed Sankey and he said he is not stopping or discouraging anyone from hiring Freeze. He would be ok with it. I wish Tennessee would interview Freeze. We know he wants the job and would win big at Tennessee in my opinion. 🥶🍊🏈

Thats why Tennessee sucks. You guys support whatever polished turd they throw out there as coach.
As opposed to doing what? I’m going to support whoever the coach is until they aren’t our head coach. I don’t care if it’s Andy Reid or Brady Hoke, if there is a Power T on that guy’s shirt he’s my guy until he isn’t.

Some are reading my comments as negative, but that's not the case. This is the process. You have a shortlist. It's both optimistic and opportunistic. The top is generally the guys everyone wants, and they're often locked in where they are or waiting for something specific. Most schools go down their list. If you have a Top 5, anyone on that list would be considered a win.
damage control.

With the NCAA sanctions going on and numerous players lost to the transfer portal, hiring a coordinator that has to learn on the job through all of this, is way too huge of a risk.

There’s no proof Elliot will make a good HC.
This can't be said enough.
You're 100 percent correct on this.
Its not worth the risk.

Certainly better than saying "Yeah! Elliott is the man for the job! Lets support him! WE HAVE A REAL AD NOW! WE HAVE REAL LEADERSHIP! THIS TIME THE NEW COACH WILL TURN IT AROUND! WOOOOO! WGWTFA!"
Nah. This is the same product tennessee been selling for years. they just changed the color.
Elliott is highly thought of. Sure, he may be just a coordinator, but he's turned down several great job opportunities. He doesn't listen to just anyone. Would I prefer a proven HC? Absolutely. But the fact Elliott is willing to listen to White when he has refused so many others is impressive. People have been trying to pry him away from Dabo for the last few years, without success. As far as coordinators go, he's one of the most highly sought after ones out there. And to act like a coordinator can't succeed is silly. All coaches work their way up. Kirby had no HC experience when he took over UGA and he's doing okay. Mullen had never been a HC before taking over Miss State. Coordinators can and do succeed. Elliott isn't my first choice, but if we've worked our list and land on him, I'll give him a chance. He's a better choice than Sonny Dykes or Will Healy, IMO.

Clay Travis interviewed Sankey and he said he is not stopping or discouraging anyone from hiring Freeze. He would be ok with it. I wish Tennessee would interview Freeze. We know he wants the job and would win big at Tennessee in my opinion. 🥶🍊🏈
Thanks for the nugget. Probably only makes me more upset at the prospects of another coordinator though... we need someone that wants to be here to see us through this mess. Seems all those candidates are not even considered according to the insiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back