Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know that?
Same method that deduced we could have covered it up and got away scot free. It’s always the cover up that kills you. SMU admin don’t flat out lie on local Dallas news and Dale Hansen’s documents don’t send them to the only death penalty. Get ahead of it and get past it > have it hanging over the program waiting for the leak to make David Ubben nationally relevant.

Same method that deduced we could have covered it up and got away scot free. It’s always the cover up that kills you. SMU admin don’t flat out lie on local Dallas news and Dale Hansen’s documents don’t send them to the only death penalty. Get ahead of it and get past it > have it hanging over the program waiting for the leak to make David Ubben nationally relevant.
The NCAA had some teeth back then.... Doug Dickey didn’t let anything get out.... it takes a strong leader.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
The NCAA had some teeth back then.... Doug Dickey didn’t let anything get out.... it takes a strong leader.
So it would be Fulmer’s fault? Cuz he “let” it get out? If the NCAA has no teeth now, why pay Pruitt $12 million? They ain’t gonna hurt us with them gums!

So it would be Fulmer’s fault? Cuz he “let” it get out? If the NCAA has no teeth now, why pay Pruitt $12 million? They ain’t gonna hurt us with them gums!
It’s my opinion the ncaa punish more harshly when you cooperate and punish yourself..... I’m sure Phil didn’t want it out just like he didn’t when he paid players.... we shall see though.

247 team talent rankings will answer that question. We were 15th last year. I'd bet we drop to the high teens in 2021. We've lost a lot of raw talent. We'll still be ahead of USC and the rest though and behind the usual 3.
Based on how kids were rated out of high school? Seems like a pretty useless data point to determine how our current roster compares to others, since it doesn't take into account coaching, development, culture. I'd take a bunch of 3* juniors and seniors with solid coaching for 3-4 years any day over 4* who are poorly developed or underclassmen.

Reactions: Revived2002
Recruited to play a system they didn’t fit...in retrospect looking at the results. Competitive early and then gave up in the second half against UGA...that’s on coaching.

Yeah I think that UGA game was partly coaching but mostly just a complete talent mismatch. The first half was entertaining but even then Tennessee was struggling to move the ball and relied on a couple of big plays to hang in there. UGA overwhelmed them in the second half. Was a familiar story weve seen lots of times the last dozen or so years. We don’t have the talent and we won’t for a long time until we have some coaching stability.

The biggest fact people miss from the 80s, 90s and early 00s is that Tennessee was one of the most stable coaching situations in the country: two head coaches covered ~30 years.

I’m convinced that stability as much as anything else is what is needed to win big here.

Reactions: crazyguy
Yeah I think that UGA game was partly coaching but mostly just a complete talent mismatch. The first half was entertaining but even then Tennessee was struggling to move the ball and relied on a couple of big plays to hang in there. UGA overwhelmed them in the second half. Was a familiar story weve seen lots of times the last dozen or so years. We don’t have the talent and we won’t for a long time until we have some coaching stability.

The biggest fact people miss from the 80s, 90s and early 00s is that Tennessee was one of the most stable coaching situations in the country: two head coaches covered ~30 years.

I’m convinced that stability as much as anything else is what is needed to win big here.
A creative offense is also needed.. especially with a talent deficit like we have right now. Help is here

A creative offense is also needed.. especially with a talent deficit like we have right now. Help is here

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
You guys can continue to talk about the mythical talent level of our team until you're blue in the face. The fact of the matter is that talent is irrelevant unless it materializes as production on the field in games. Our team got whipped almost across the board on the field, and that has happened for many years now. Will Heupel's coaching staff waive a magic wand that suddenly radically changes the trajectory of production for virtually every position group on this team? Maybe, but it's highly unlikely.
And every coach who fielded those teams has gotten fired. If Heupel fields teams that don't live up to talent, he will get fired too.

4 year rebuild. 5 year rebuild. An entire roster of 4 and 5 star busts. Just myths perpetuated by Vol fans who want to believe someone can consistently lose to less talented teams and then magically turn it around in some arbitrarily large amount of time.

And every coach who fielded those teams has gotten fired. If Heupel fields teams that don't live up to talent, he will get fired too.

4 year rebuild. 5 year rebuild. An entire roster of 4 and 5 star busts. Just myths perpetuated by Vol fans who want to believe someone can consistently lose to less talented teams and then magically turn it around in some arbitrarily large amount of time.
People don't want to see it. They choose not to see it. It's like the most severe form of BVS. The only reason we shouldn't make 7 wins this season is if we're bit by the injury bug. Barring that, 7 wins should be our floor. A competent coaching staff should be able to accomplish that. We're not as bad off as people want to opine. Even with what we've lost, we should have the talent to be middle of the pack SEC. A good coaching staff gets us there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back