Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gotta trust Rodney Garner’s ability to recruit some kids from HS and hit the transfer portal hard. 1 or 2 players can make a huge difference on the DL.

Evans wasn’t going to play this year anyway.
Dude signed without a position coach. Now we have arguably a top 10 DL coach, and he’s gone

Mmm k, kid

Hmm. I’d approach recruiting rankings for guys on campus with a grain of salt.

I recall convincing myself Butch Jones inherited a roster with untapped talent - the average recruiting stars far exceed those of Oregon, I recall believing! I also recall being sick to my stomach watching Oregon go up 59-7 in the second half, wondering why our players looked like they were running with lead shoes. Never saw than Vandy loss coming, etc etc

Over the eight years since 2013, I’ve gotten to where I have zero emotions about blowout losses, and I’ve learned not to assume a 3-7 team is loaded with hidden talent....
I’m not relying on services...not a big fan. I’m looking at the obvious physical talent and the offers per signee. Some of our 3 stars were as impressive as those higher. In any case, the science ESPN is employing and Kingston is banking his case would have had a higher score if GUARANTANO had returned...just sayin.

He was as solid as anybody we had in that class. This is sobering.
First, I was responding to Bass's comment about our DL in a couple of years being thin when I mentioned trusting Rodney Garner's ability to get some bodies in here that can produce (either via HS recruits or the transfer portal).

Second, if you believe what Austin Price has said Evans really hasn't been that solid because he's been going back and forth for weeks now. Take that for what it's worth.

And I wish the kid nothing but the best.

I was just looking at our roster and there is size and talent there. IF this new staff can coach, and I believe they can, who knows what will happen. We are so fixated on winning this game or that game as being or only yard stick as success so we are setting ourselves up as fans to failure. Yes I know we have to beat Ala, Ga, and Fla but we need to focus on winning all the games we should now and maybe a game or two we shouldn't, getting a winning attitude and moving forward after that.

Recruiting Talent wise we are top 15 or 20 in the country with the talent we have now even after what we have lost, the cupboard is not bare. Coaching wise the staff we have now has said they are going to use the talent we have and fit there system around that as opposed to what we are use to and that is huge. Think about that for a second, every coach we have hired has brought in a system and tried to make the players fit that system and with the turnover and differences in the talent needed with the talent from the previous regimes it has not and could not work. Dooley wanted big linemen, fast wide receivers and running backs that were strong and good blockers, Butch wanted smaller and quicker lineman, short to mid route receivers and quick fast running backs, Pruitt wanted big and strong lineman and no wide receivers at all and three yards in a cloud of dust running backs.

Lets just give them a chance. The speculating is fun but I think the team this years is going to be better than many think and as a team a step in the right direction.

Transfer portal is JHs best friend the first few years. He HAS to take advantage
The Vols could develop an identity of a team made up of players with a chip on their shoulders--mis-used and unfairly buried in the depth chart at their previous program. Make it a positive. May not be a long term solution.

So a kid leaves. Whines on twitter that he didn't feel "wanted". Maybe this staff is trending away from all the emotionally fragile look-at-me types and recruiting a better locker room. We've been told there would be more transfers. There will also be more additions and there will likely be some flips that go our way closer to Signing Day. This kid leaving is just another small bump in the road.

So a kid leaves. Whines on twitter that he didn't feel "wanted". Maybe this staff is trending away from all the emotionally fragile look-at-me types and recruiting a better locker room. We've been told there would be more transfers. There will also be more additions and there will likely be some flips that go our way closer to Signing Day. This kid leaving is just another small bump in the road.

In all fairness to Evans, this dude didn't strike anyone as a 'look at me' personality, at least not publicly. This kid didn't even 'play the game' in regards to recruiting. Made his commitment, stuck to it. In fact was so quiet many of us wondered if he was still in the class. Hate to see this happen, but if he'd been wavering in his communication with the coaches I can see a situation where they felt it best to move on. Hoping there's no knock on effect in regards to Willis, or even D. Bailey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back