Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish Milton could’ve went through Spring practice. I really think he’s got all the physical tools to be special...

Eager to see what Heup can do with the mental side.

I think the major challenge is going to be developing Milton in the short time that they have to get him ready for the Fall. How fast will Milton progress vs those who have already gone through the Spring learning Hypes system. Milton may be talented but there is a lot to be developed. He may come in and click but his talent still has a lot of developing to be done. At this point I just wish one QB would shine. lol

Our previous staff failed miserably and criminally underachieved. If we're going to be comparing this staff to that staff, we're already doomed to fail. I stick by my assertion.
How do you expect someone to instantly turn around a decade long disaster, especially with so many starters transferring out? That makes no sense to expect an immediate recovery, nothing in life works that way.

Didn’t see a thread for this dude but I just saw this on Rivals. SIAP.

Athlete
Kendall Abdur-Rahman from Notre Dame didn’t see an explosion of interest when he first entered the portal, but over the last week or two things have picked up for him. Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee, Kent State and Western Kentucky have all turned up their level of interest, so it will be interesting if other schools come calling in the next few weeks. Staying in the Big Ten might be the move for the Illinois product, but keep an eye on the Vols here as well.

And unlike Bass, if Heupel blows past my expectations this season, I will gladly come here and say I was wrong and that he did a great job.

If he underachieves relative to Bass's 6-8 win prediction, he will just move the goalposts.

I was going to say something snarky, but you still have Hank as your avi, so I will refrain.

Reactions: Kingston Vol
7 wins would be incredibly impressive with this roster.
We will have a higher talent composite than 8 teams on our schedule.

Unless Pruitt, like Butch Jones before him, recruited "All the wrong 4 stars" and we bust out all those excuses for Heupel until he's fired in three years also.

Didn’t see a thread for this dude but I just saw this on Rivals. SIAP.

Athlete
Kendall Abdur-Rahman from Notre Dame didn’t see an explosion of interest when he first entered the portal, but over the last week or two things have picked up for him. Purdue, Indiana, Tennessee, Kent State and Western Kentucky have all turned up their level of interest, so it will be interesting if other schools come calling in the next few weeks. Staying in the Big Ten might be the move for the Illinois product, but keep an eye on the Vols here as well.
Interesting, looks like he switched from WR to RB while at ND. Wonder if he'll get a look on defense.

Reactions: ugg
We will have a higher talent composite than 8 teams on our schedule.

Unless Pruitt, like Butch Jones before him, recruited "All the wrong 4 stars" and we bust out all those excuses for Heupel until he's fired in three years also.
I think this is legitimately the worst roster we've had since Johnny came home in '77.

5 wins or above would feel, to me anyway, like Heupel is right on schedule.

I'm pessimistic about his chances of long-term success, but I do genuinely like Josh Heupel and in talking with my couple of contacts on campus, they all really like him too.

I *like* the coaching and recruiting staff he has put together, the latter being comprised of Tennessee people who want nothing more than to see this place succeed. I just don't like the results they've earned to this point - but it's still very early.

I think we're looking at two very bad seasons - and I don't think that has much to do with Josh Heupel. My first real test for him and the new staff will be the recruiting classes the next two seasons.

I think this is legitimately the worst roster we've had since Johnny came home in '77.

You can think whatever, but that doesn't mean it's supported by anything other than watching the team going through the motions during the Covid year.

If you think they are that bad, you're going to have to believe Pruitt recruited a bunch of untalented, highly rated players. That's exactly what we said about Butch to justify Pruitt's teams underperforming compared to their talent composite.

The Vegas line is going to be 6-7 wins for us this year. You can water that down with pessimism if it makes you feel better, but that's where they are going to land by objectively evaluating the roster. And if we win five or less, it means Heupel lost to a few teams that he had more talent than while losing to every team that had more talent than us. If that happens, well, he's following the well beaten path of our last three hires.

My great grandfather was a dear friend of Edger Allen Poe. They were walking through the woods one late afternoon, talking about life lessons. Poe wasn’t watching where he was going and was heading straight towards a HUGE oak. Thank goodness my great grandfather yelled out........”Poetry!!!!!!” :(

There is a growing trend in funeral care where people are opting for glass caskets. Will it stay popular...? Remains to be seen.

I'm dying to find out though. 😬

You can think whatever, but that doesn't mean it's supported by anything other than watching the team going through the motions during the Covid year.

If you think they are that bad, you're going to have to believe Pruitt recruited a bunch of untalented, highly rated players. That's exactly what we said about Butch to justify Pruitt's teams underperforming compared to their talent composite.

The Vegas line is going to be 6-7 wins for us this year. You can water that down with pessimism if it makes you feel better, but that's where they are going to land by objectively evaluating the roster. And if we win five or less, it means Heupel lost to a few teams that he had more talent than while losing to every team that had more talent than us. If that happens, well, he's following the well beaten path of our last three hires.

I do believe this. I don't think all the problems last year were coaching - I think it was probably 70/30 coaching and poor roster construction/talent.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Understandably, I should clarify somethings.

Scott Frost was at UCF for two seasons and his recruiting classes were not significantly better than Heupel's, Heupel's were better, in fact. The year before Frost the average was .8355. No, he's not setting the recruiting world on fire, but he's also in the same yard with Miami, Florida, Florida State, and FIU. Its a crowded yard. BUT, he does more with less...
View attachment 345306
View attachment 345307
View attachment 345309

View attachment 345310

As has been noted, his offenses have been top 6 nationally all three years since he became HC at UCF and 14th nationally while OC at Mizzou. He went 22-4 his first two years (with 4 classes of essentially the same caliber of players, Frost's classes weren't carrying those teams) and then 6-4 in a year where the state of florida was a covid hot spot. when they played tulane this year several of their starters were out.

If he's the guy, he's one very good DC hire away from being potentially very good in the SEC. His offenses will excel, and he has HC experience. He's the quintessential up-and-comer future star. I understand the frustration--i really do-- but 8-4 should be the floor the way the schedule is set up, especially if we're hanging up 450 yards a game.

i urge you to give him a chance if he's the guy. he's walking into a dumpster fire with sanctions looming and, like DW, is apparently willing to take it on. I think this could end up pretty good.
bump

I do believe this. I don't think all the problems last year were coaching - I think it was probably 70/30 coaching and poor roster construction/talent.
I mean that's fine. Personally, I think the odds that Pruitt happened to recruit the exact wrong 50 players that were highly rated and highly sought after is kind of crazy.

One dud in Pruitt is more likely than 50 independent duds in the players he got.

Heupel is going to get at least four years regardless, so if that lets you believe he could still be the guy for a little longer after getting out coached this season, by all means.

I'm just saying. The cycle repeats itself. Instead of using the same excuses we used for the last two guys we could just say it how it is.

I'm pessimistic about his chances of long-term success, but I do genuinely like Josh Heupel and in talking with my couple of contacts on campus, they all really like him too.

I *like* the coaching and recruiting staff he has put together, the latter being comprised of Tennessee people who want nothing more than to see this place succeed. I just don't like the results they've earned to this point - but it's still very early.

I think we're looking at two very bad seasons - and I don't think that has much to do with Josh Heupel. My first real test for him and the new staff will be the recruiting classes the next two seasons.
Fair

This is a ridiculous take. Someone doesn't remember the roster from 2013. Shoot, the roster in 2018 was worse. The worst roster since '77? You're absolutely insane if you believe that.

Last edited:
I refuse to create a win expectation for Heupel's first year. Matt Rhule (Baylor) won 1 game his first year after the team won 7 the year before. Bobby Petrino (Arkansas) won 5 his first year after the team won 8 the year before. Both guys won 10 games by year 3 and vastly over-performed based on their level of talent after struggling at the beginning. I am just going to watch in year 1 and hope to see a modern offense. He walked into a raging dumpster fire that few other coaches with his upside would touch, I will give him a year to get the flames under control. My only expectations are effort and improved offense. We are stuck with him for a while regardless, no need to tar and feather the guy for not being able to turn a dumpster fire into gold in one year.

This is a ridiculous take. Someone doesn't remember the roster from 2013. Shoot, the roster in 2018 was worse. The worst roster since '77? You're absolutely insane if you believe that.
Just a matter of opinion, I suppose, but we're going to be on dire scholarship numbers and the top 10% of talent on the roster left for the draft or the portal over the offseason.

Per ESPN FPI, we are 117th in the country in returning production - and that is off a team that went 3-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back