Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way Kirby has morphed the saban defense - 2 gap odf front into this balanced machine that does both is super impressive imo. They also do the most creative things on defense imo. I used to not be so high on Kirby but the more I’ve studied their defense the more impressive i think he is. But he has botched that QB room and needs to get out of the stone age with their offense

He basically patented this cover 2 that can roll into cover 3 with ease. They also have started a movement with they way they use simulated pressures.
View attachment 363471
no clue

I should clarify-- we want to throw long balls to players in orange. Throwing to the other team was not an effective offensive strategy for us last year, though Mark Stoops endorsed it wholeheartedly and will be sad to see us rethink the concept.
Screenshot_20210420-230101_Chrome.jpg

Stats aren't very suggestive that Milton can throw to the team in orange.

Depends. Does he win 7-8 games in year 3? or is he missing a bowl game? If he is winning 7-8 he gets a pass, especially if we can see that one piece is missing or something. but if we're missing bowl games, then yeah, he will be, and should be.
That’s the thing. By year 3 he needs to show competence, consistent improvement, and that his program-wide philosophy works. I’m not saying “9 wins or he gone” or any other arbitrary magic number of wins because I think it’s about more than just the product on the field. We should be able to tell if he is the guy by that time. Of course, he can’t be missing a bowl game in year 3 and expect to keep the majority of the fanbase on his side.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Right now on paper it looks like we have 5 likely wins for 2021, 4 toss-ups (projected margin within 7 points), and 3 likely losses. I think most folks agree on this though some may see some of the toss-ups as likely losses. Best case scenario is maybe we win all the toss ups. Hopefully we get at least two. jmo.

ScreenHunter 744.png

This could potentially be the best roster we have for a couple years or so and what we’re able to do with it may influence where it’s at next year and beyond.

Next year we swap out facing Ole Miss in Neyland for a trip to Death Valley to face LSU. We also have a rematch next year with Pitt, only this time in their house. Rounding out our OOC schedule for next year is Ball State, Army, and UT-Martin. Right now ESPN FPI actually has MAC team Ball State ranked ahead of us for this year at #45; we’re at #48. Army this year is presently at #96 according to ESPN’s ranking. The biggest thing holding us down in preseason rankings this year is last year's offense. If we assume Heupel gets the offense rolling then we could surprise a lot of folks this year. jmo.

I was around 8 years old when I really started getting into Tennessee football. It’s been 56 seasons. During the first 40 years we had 35 winning seasons and these last 16 years we’ve only had 7 winning seasons. Ties weren’t wins so I counted them as losses.

ScreenHunter 745.png

I remember as a kid when I first learned that our coach (Doug Dickey) had gone to school at Florida. I was dumbfounded. How in the world could anyone let a gator be in charge of our football program? It was the first scandal I discovered about how the world works and I was genuinely relieved when he went back to his alma mater and turned the program over to Bill Battle. The only time Dickey played Florida was in the 1969 Gator bowl and he lost. It just confirmed my suspicions about him. He had Bobby Scott (spoke at my freshman sports banquet) and Curt Watson and he still lost. smh.

Then I found out Battle who took over for Dickey was from Alabama. WTH? Don’t we have anybody we can trust? When Johnny came home, he was my coach. Finally, someone I could trust and sleep easy at night knowing he wasn’t from an enemy camp.

Dickey is credited with starting three Tennessee football traditions that endure today. He placed the iconic "Power T" decal on the sides of the football helmets, had the Neyland Stadium end zones painted in an orange-and-white checkerboard pattern, and originated the Pride of the Southland marching band's "T" formation through which our players run through to get on the field. Even though I didn’t trust him while he was our coach, I grew to have a great deal of respect and admiration for Dickey after he came back to be our AD.

Bob Woodruff was one of us but he had also served as the AD and Head football coach at Florida from the time before I was born until I was 3 years old. That was sort of before my time so I didn’t hold it against him, much. We beat him 3 out of the 4 times we played his team back then. Anyway, he officially became my AD for life when he brought Johnny home.

Life and football takes all sorts of twists and turns and you never know how things are going to work out. There’s all sorts of odd connections you discover between people, places, and events. Something I discovered Doug Dickey and Josh Heupel have in common is they were both born in South Dakota. That could be a good sign. You never know. Here’s the thing, on September 7, 2024 Oklahoma is scheduled to return to Neyland Stadium. Heupel has a bit over 3 years to get ready. If he wants my continued support he had better win that game. jmo.

All things considered, based on the talent this team SHOULD have compared to the teams we will face, and barring major injuries (which are beyond anyone's control), anything less than 7 wins should be seen as failure IMO. No, not saying it should be grounds to call for Heupel's or any other staff member's head, but it should be considered underachieving, and alarming. I look at the schedule and see Florida, Georgia, and Bama as the only almost certain losses(though I'll never concede a game until it's played). Ole Miss will most likely be a shoot out, and could very well end up being determined by who scores last. And I just have no idea what to expect from Pitt. I'd hope we can beat them, but I'm not familiar with them or their style of play. Every other game SHOULD be a win as long as we're healthy. And I don't see 7-5 as an unreasonable expectation. No matter what we've been through as a program, a winning record should never be considered TOO HIGH of an expectation. My Tennessee Pride will never let me see a losing record as acceptable. The last 15 years don't matter. We are still UT, dammit.

All things considered, based on the talent this team SHOULD have compared to the teams we will face, and barring major injuries (which are beyond anyone's control), anything less than 7 wins should be seen as failure IMO. No, not saying it should be grounds to call for Heupel's or any other staff member's head, but it should be considered underachieving, and alarming. I look at the schedule and see Florida, Georgia, and Bama as the only almost certain losses(though I'll never concede a game until it's played). Ole Miss will most likely be a shoot out, and could very well end up being determined by who scores last. And I just have no idea what to expect from Pitt. I'd hope we can beat them, but I'm not familiar with them or their style of play. Every other game SHOULD be a win as long as we're healthy. And I don't see 7-5 as an unreasonable expectation. No matter what we've been through as a program, a winning record should never be considered TOO HIGH of an expectation. My Tennessee Pride will never let me see a losing record as acceptable. The last 15 years don't matter. We are still UT, dammit.
ill take 6 wins, we still have no qb.

Reactions: VolByLaw
Wideman info per an @HoleInTheRoof question.

I like the podcast, but the host needs to do a little more prep. Josh (I think) was a much better host. At least sounded like he understood the game and paid attention to the person he was interviewing.

I like Eric Cain. I didn’t dislike Josh Ward but when he did it, IMO, I felt like he was just giving a very generic high level birds eye view of the team. Cain seems to give more of his opinion or things he’s hearing etc.

I could be wrong because I only discovered it a few weeks prior to Cain taking over for Ward - but that’s my take.

Plus I like the Twitter Tuesdays.

I do agree Cain needs to work out some kinks. Not sure if it’s prep work or organization. There will be times when he’s trying to read something and say he can’t find the tweet etc.

But the best part of it is he’s not mouth breather Trey Wallace or goober cuck Rucker.

Joe Milton does remind me of Cam Newton...like a lot. Similar frame and size, strong arm, mobile-maybe not the type to build your running game around or break off a 50+ yard run, but definitely enough to evade sacks and run for first downs.
As a grade A certified Cam Newton Stan.... gonna need you to pump them a little.

But supposedly have the QB whisperer as our HC. Ask Bass. I'm sticking with anything less than 7 wins (again, CAVEAT - barring major injuries) is a big disappointment.

7 wins (assuming you mean regular season) would match our highest total from the previous staff... after taking over and literally starting from ground 0

7 wins (assuming you mean regular season) would match our highest total from the previous staff... after taking over and literally starting from ground 0
Our previous staff failed miserably and criminally underachieved. If we're going to be comparing this staff to that staff, we're already doomed to fail. I stick by my assertion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back