Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple more tidbits on Campbell. His 5-year record is as the most winningest coach at ISU since 1919 and he was named B12 coach of the year by the conference in 3 of his 5 years there, 2017, 2018, and 2020.

I’m not prepared to say he’s a slam dunk to have great success here but from what I’ve seen so far I like his resume and his reputation and I would think landing him as our new HC would almost universally be seen as a homerun hire. jmo.

Look, we’re competing with Iowa State for this guy. Iowa state had to lure him away from a cushy job at Toledo. Iowa State won that battle. I am going to literally laugh my ass off if we can’t beat Iowa State in this contest. There is no way he is not a legitimate target if we’re aiming high which makes me kinda think we’re going to win this time. jmo.

The wildcard here is that it doesn't seem like money is his main motivator. Which is an excellent quality and just makes me want him more.

The wildcard here is that it doesn't seem like money is his main motivator. Which is an excellent quality and just makes me want him more.
Paris: “And, Daddy, he didn’t even care that I’m a filthy rich Hilton, just asked if he could redeem his Hilton points in Knoxville.”.

One of the major problems in society today is the art of "canceling". People hear someone did something awful and immediately blackball that person without any concrete proof.

Folks. I think James Franklin probably is a dickhead. He comes off that way. But I'm sorry there isn't any hardcore proof he was involved in any of the more major accusations. Neither were there major proof about Schiano. I hate to break it to y'all, that **** was a cover up for a lot of vol fans. The real reason they axed Schiano? Because it was a **** hire and a **** fit. Period.

Franklin on the other hand? Absolute home run as far as a football coach goes. You're in abosulte denial if you think otherwise. He's a hell of a coach, I'd be stunned if we landed him.

Saying that, I don't see it at all. Maybe I'm wrong but yeah just don't see it. But if it does happen and y'all try to Schiano him, major ass face palm.

On another note. Let it just be Matt Campbell, I think he's just as good of a coach, and everyone likes him so everyone will be happy lmao

Last edited:
One of the major problems in society today is the art of "canceling". People hear someone did something awful and immediately blackball that person without any concrete proof.

Folks. I think James Franklin probably is a dickhead. He comes off that way. But I'm sorry there isn't any hardcore proof he was involved in any of the more major accusations. Neither were there major proof about Schiano. I hate to break it to y'all, that **** was a cover up for a lot of vol fans. The real reason they axed Schiano? Because it was a **** hire and a **** fit. Period.

Franklin on the other hand? Abosulte home run as far as a football coach goes. You're in abosulte denial if you think otherwise. He's a hell of a coach, I'd be stunned if we landed him.

Saying that, I don't see it all. Maybe I'm wrong but yeah just don't see it. But if it does happen and y'all try to Schiano him, major ass face palm.

On another note. Let it just be Matt Campbell, I think he's just as good of a coach, and everyone likes him so everyone will be happy lmao

I don't know the details about the Franklin situation but in regards to Schiano, while I'm glad we didn't get him as coach, his alleged connection to the Penn State scandal was grossly unfair. It was quadruple hearsay. I don't remember all of the coaches involved but essentially Mike McCreary, the guy who admitted that he walked in on Sandusky screwing a kid and did nothing, and thus had a vested interest in trying to spread his dishonor around to as many people as possible, said that Coach A told him that Coach B had said that Coach C told him that Schiano suspected something was going on with Sandusky. Every link of that chain, Coach A, B and C denied saying any such thing and Schiano denied it. If that sort of spurious slander is considered valid no one on this board is safe from being convicted of the most heinous and infamous crimes, not you, not me. We didn't want Schiano as coach, and he probably would have been a bad one, but there is basically no legitimate connection between Schiano and the Penn State scandal.

So the question is asked, why would Matt Campbell leave Ames, Iowa?

I read a number of articles exploring that question and the consensus seems to be that while a lot of folks may think Matt is following the Gary Patterson model of finding a home and staying there, Patterson is the exception and not the rule. It has been reported that Gary Patterson at one time would have taken the Tennessee job if offered. According to an article in the Athletic we turned him down.
We knew about Patterson being in contention a few times on Rocky Top. Apparently, in 2008, he was a serious contender, and the Vols could have lured him away. But, according to Patterson and the article, the Vols told him he was “too much of a football coach” for them. Yes, you heard that right. A football coach was too much of a football coach for a football coach opening.

Many people want to believe this time is different with respect to a lot of situations. The fact is this time is almost always NOT different, no matter the context. Now when a sitting head coach or anyone in any position of significant leadership is asked about his commitment to his present job what are we expecting him to say, “if I had the right opportunity, I’d be on a plane in a heartbeat.” Yeah, right.

The smart thinking is that Campbell is holding out for certain high profile blue-chip jobs. So why not Texas? Maybe he hates Texas. Maybe it’s still in the B-12. Maybe he doesn’t like some of the people at Texas. The idea is that he’s not interested in the NFL and he’s not interested in the Ole Misses and South Carolina’s but and this was specifically stated before Pruitt was fired, Tennessee is different. The only question might be how much would Tennessee be willing to pay above what he was already getting.

Campbell, it is said, wanted a blue blood program, something like Notre Dame, Ohio State, or Michigan. Would he see Tennessee as a fallen great, one of the legacy blue-bloods. He grew up on football in a time when we were a perennial top 10 program, even winning a national championship. He was playing high school football when Peyton Manning was our QB. Everything he knew about football through his college years told him Tennessee was one of the best programs of all time.

Now he may have an opportunity to restore that dream. It’s not the same as just any other job or opportunity. jmo.

I’ve been studying this a bit and I think the way I would describe it after reviewing his 10 year history as a head coach is that he is accomplished on both sides of the ball. He had the 3rd best offense and the 2nd best defense in the B12 this past year. I think he had better offenses relative to his conference when he was at Toledo and better defenses in the aggregate while he’s been at ISU. I think this is consistent with doing more with less. He would likely never have the sort of depth at those places that he might build here and so I think in the past he may have had to rely on a smaller rotation for the various positions. It has given him the flexibility to have continued success against teams that out-talent his. I also think he may have a good grasp of the X’s and O’s, on both sides of the ball, and he appears to be a pretty good game manager, including at times being a bit creative. jmo.

Strangely enough, Campbell was a DL in college but an offensive coach including OC his entire coaching career prior to being HC.

He’s fluent in both offense and defense. He’s a winner.

I read a number of articles exploring that question and the consensus seems to be that while a lot of folks may think Matt is following the Gary Patterson model of finding a home and staying there, Patterson is the exception and not the rule. It has been reported that Gary Patterson at one time would have taken the Tennessee job if offered. According to an article in the Athletic we turned him down.

Many people want to believe this time is different with respect to a lot of situations. The fact is this time is almost always NOT different, no matter the context. Now when a sitting head coach or anyone in any position of significant leadership is asked about his commitment to his present job what are we expecting him to say, “if I had the right opportunity, I’d be on a plane in a heartbeat.” Yeah, right.

The smart thinking is that Campbell is holding out for certain high profile blue-chip jobs. So why not Texas? Maybe he hates Texas. Maybe it’s still in the B-12. Maybe he doesn’t like some of the people at Texas. The idea is that he’s not interested in the NFL and he’s not interested in the Ole Misses and South Carolina’s but and this was specifically stated before Pruitt was fired, Tennessee is different. The only question might be how much would Tennessee be willing to pay above what he was already getting.

Campbell, it is said, wanted a blue blood program, something like Notre Dame, Ohio State, or Michigan. Would he see Tennessee as a fallen great, one of the legacy blue-bloods. He grew up on football in a time when we were a perennial top 10 program, even winning a national championship. He was playing high school football when Peyton Manning was our QB. Everything he knew about football through his college years told him Tennessee was one of the best programs of all time.

Now he may have an opportunity to restore that dream. It’s not the same as just any other job or opportunity. jmo.
He very well could be our mesiah; think Saban taking over at Bama. I see similarities in the trajectories Tennessee is in currently and Bama was when they made their program altering hire (Saban). Is Mike Shula our Jeremy Pruitt? Campbell is a winner.

Alot of people in that area thought Campbell was gone at the end of this year...
He’s more focused on rebuilding, doing things the right way, and changing cultures.
Iowa State is there.
Dude is legit...
I honestly believe he would coach circles around 90% of the other coaches in this league.
Money isn’t important to him, but this situation has to be right and he’ll definitely want to bring all his coaches over.
We are currently the poster child for the text book rock bottom rebuild..
If White somehow pulls this off he’ll be a Legend.
The Pittsburgh, & Iowa State thing also makes it cool as hell if it does happen.

If he says, “no”... You keep dropping more money till he says, “yes.”
The people saying he can’t coach on this board are certified idiots.

Last edited:

Great analysis tonight @ChattaTNVol

I’ll admit, I wasn’t on the Campbell train at first , and it’s mainly because of his big loss to Napier. After rewatching that game, I realized there were several fluky Special Teams plays and it was the 1st game of the season. I also noticed that ISU got progressively better as the season went on. Matt Campbell is an outstanding coach but not only that, a program builder.

I hope we can all be celebrating by midday tomorrow. Campbell till it isn’t!

Alot of people in that area thought Campbell was gone at the end of this year...
He’s more focused on rebuilding, doing things the right way, and changing cultures.
Iowa State is there.
Dude is legit...
I honestly believe he would coach circles around 90% of the other coaches in this league.
Money isn’t important to him, but this situation has to be right and he’ll definitely want to bring all his coaches over.
We are currently the poster child for the text book rock bottom rebuild..
If White somehow pulls this off he’ll be a Legend.
The Pittsburgh, & Iowa State thing also makes it cool as hell if it does happen.

I forgot he played at Pittsburgh. So Johnny Majors was at Pitt and ISU and so was Matt...

🧐

I forgot he played at Pittsburgh. So Johnny Majors was at Pitt and ISU and so was Matt...

🧐
There’s a great video by Cole Adams on YouTube called, “Matt Campbell is on his way to NFL soon.”
Just posted a couple weeks ago...
It’s excellent.
Should be required viewing by everyone on this board.
We’d be lucky as hell to get that dude...

If it's Franklin we riot.
We can't do this every time we don't agree with a hire, this has to stop. I get it with Schiano but thats how we ended up with Fulmer and Pruitt. Tennessee is stuck between a rock and a hard place, do you really, honestly believe they would hire Franklin if they had ANY indication that there was ANYTHING to the vandy rape stuff? Do you remember who covered the Vandy rape stuff, the Tennessean and the same female reporter who absolutely trashed UT over the AJ Johnson case. How did that AJ Johnson case turnout btw, did that reporter issue an apology for ruining 2 kids lives? No, she didn't as far as the Vandy stuff goes, I'm not sure what went on but Franklin had his day in court and was cleared by the DA and courts. I know some are going to say but Schiano, he was named in a disposition and never had his day in court. Still avoided it because he never did file suit against UT so that's pretty telling not to mention he was involved in a situation that is arguably the worst scandal in the history of sports.

This isn't me being a character witness for Franklin because frankly hes an ass but this is me saying if another Schiano Sunday takes place then this program is done for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back