Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s like saying Joe Pa had no idea. They knew and so did Briles.

I know. I'm just saying that the truth doesn't matter.

Even if you could prove beyond a reasonable doubt he is innocent, the public believes he is the leader of this gross assault, and the public will never change their mind.

The Joker's henchmen are villains, too. To be fair, most of us were not immediately aware Gilbert served as henchman to Hart.
Lol. Yeah, unfortunately it's impossible to do office politics math like that without being there. We will never know how much influence Gilbert had in the hiring of Butch Jones.

This kind of goes without saying, but I don't care who the AD is. It makes little difference to me.

If we hire Gilbert, everyone will lose their minds. Then if he hires someone most people like a week later, he will be a hero.

Inversely, everyone will love Ingram. And then if he retains Steele a week later, he will be the most hated person on the forum.

It's not like we will have to wait long to find out if they picked the right AD. I don't really see the point in hand wringing over who is and isn't the guy. They will prove it one way or another almost immediately.

I’d argue we’re much better off now than last time. Roster is much better and Fulmer is gone. AV and others have said he’s been a big problem attracting good coaches.
Roster is better now. But our best signee in 2021 is gone, sounds like Gray, Crouch, Henry, Wright, and maybe others are gone also. Wanya is gone. If all of that happens our roster isn't that much better. The 2020-21 class is all we have at that point if none of them leave besides Brooks.

Sadly that’s 3 decent coaches that want it. A lot of schools would trade for Kiffin and Freeze maybe even Chadwell and we will still mess it up.

Not sure how many schools would trade for Freeze.

There were 3 SEC openings before UT and he didn’t get any of those jobs. All of them could’ve hired him if they wanted. Texas could’ve hired him. Arizona could’ve made a run at him.

Just reading the tea leaves there are only 4 people who want this job, maybe five: Steele, Chadwell, Kiffin, Freeze, and maybe Herman don't know about him. UT will not hire Kiffin or Freeze. We know this. It will not happen. So that leaves you with maybe 3 candidates. Herman has a very bad reputation for his dealings with boosters and staff at Texas. he's out.

so now we're down to two: Chadwell or Steele. They are going to hire Steele.
Bass, you left Gus off the list. I know with Steele in place that probably isn't realistic due to rumored dynamics but he does fit the criteria they are looking for.

I know. I'm just saying that the truth doesn't matter.

Even if you could prove beyond a reasonable doubt he is innocent, the public believes he is the leader of this gross assault, and the public will never change their mind.

It’s an unfortunate turn of events that they open themselves up to as HC. When he found out he should have resigned.

I’m just glad he didn’t try and Franklin it.

if Franklin ever coaches at UT I’ll will gladly walk away

This is my big fear. When all is said and done, who's left on the team? Brooks has already requested his NLI release. Looks like Big Kat is backing out of his commitment. Rumors of several other key players looking to transfer. It's an ugly situation. We need to expedite the process and get someone in here to try and salvage the situation. And I worry about these defensive guys not wanting to play for Steele if he's their intended DC. Brooks, Big Kat, Toot...why wouldn't they want to play here if Steele would be their DC?

Hard not to feel the doom and gloom.

Good post. I think the players are reacting to the current uncertainty in the program. I agree, we need to an AD and coaching staff rolled out ASAP to regain some stability. We don't need a knee jerk hire, but we need to move quickly.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
The one thing that perplexes me is a statement that PF made. He referenced "ten years". This was done two different times, regarding a tenure as AD (that he would not be around until he was 80) and also about someone being on sidelines and having a great HC/AD relationship. Taking this at face value, it was either just an expression of an example of "longevity" and/or it was a hint of someone that they know truly wants to be here and will stay (someone's dream job???). I suspect I am reading too much into it and it is the former, but it does cause the wheels in my head to turn. 🤔

Not sure how many schools would trade for Freeze.

There were 3 SEC openings before UT and he didn’t get any of those jobs. All of them could’ve hired him if they wanted. Texas could’ve hired him. Arizona could’ve made a run at him.
They all want him just don’t want the media to throw dirt on them. Behind closed doors they’d all love the Wins he’d pile up.

It's like Schiano with the Penn State scandal, except there's a lot more linking Briles to what happened at Baylor than Schiano to what happened at PSU.
Oh, no doubt, and it isn't even close. Schiano's name only came up in secondhand hearsay testimony at the trial, and it wasn't even admissible (because it was hearsay). Briles was the HC at Baylor when all that stuff was going on.

I have really mixed, conflicted feelings about how that Baylor thing was handled. There is no doubt terrible things happened there, and some people knew about those terrible things and did nothing. However, I also think that some people who had nothing to do with it, or didn't do anything wrong, went down for it because of the overwhelming desire to punish someone for it. I don't know if Art Briles is one of those people. It seems really hard to believe he knew nothing, but Baylor paid him a ton of money to go away, which is a really curious thing to do if you know he helped cover up rapes. Perhaps they just suspected he knew but couldn't prove it?

In theory, Fulmer's deal has him as a stabilizing figurehead until his replacement is hired. In reality, Steele is making do with a coordinator who's been job-seeking elsewhere, a coordinator who doesn't really recruit, an assistant whose contract is expiring, another assistant who's been looking around, an assistant nobody likes who's hanging on by his fingernails and Jay Graham. Plus a skeleton crew of support staffers. And the only reason we even have Steele is because of the guys who just got the boot.
Who is the assistant nobody likes?

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
In theory, Fulmer's deal has him as a stabilizing figurehead until his replacement is hired. In reality, Steele is making do with a coordinator who's been job-seeking elsewhere, a coordinator who doesn't really recruit, an assistant whose contract is expiring, another assistant who's been looking around, an assistant nobody likes who's hanging on by his fingernails and Jay Graham. Plus a skeleton crew of support staffers. And the only reason we even have Steele is because of the guys who just got the boot.

Most of the staff will be told to look around I’m sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back