Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your statement crossed the line, donā€™t try to wriggle out of it. Bottom line, Shulerā€™s arm strength was hyped by some which I believe was ESPN. There was a draft opinion which I likely I read in the USA Today that stated his arm strength was less than average by NFL standards. Iā€™m not going to feel guilty or ashamed by posting that and if that hurts Shuler worshippers than they will just need to get over it.
Nope, not over it. Shuler was an amazing, exciting QB for the University of Tennessee who gave his all for the Vols. One of my all time favorites with no worship involved. Wanted to name my son Heath, but my husband liked another name better of the 3 choices he was allowed. I don't care what reporter said what about him. I don't even know how this all started or why. But you have spent days talking about some weakness imaginary or not. Don't don't tell a Vol fan to get over that.

Last edited:
I never said I read anything that stated it was mediocre arm strength. People on this forum routinely try to misrepresent what another poster has stated
Hmm. . .

Shulers arm strength was over-hyped. ESPN reported that Shuler hit a goal post from the 50 yard line On one knee but the NFL draft report was that he had less than average arm strength. I was following this at the time and was surprised by the draft analysis because I thought Shuler had super human arm strength at the time. Regardless of Shulers speed and strength , Dobbs was a better athlete and more elusive running the ball. Both had similar last year QBR ratings at UT. In fact they both had better QBR ratings their last year than Manning had in any year at UT which I found surprising.

Arm strength was hype.

Iā€™m not sure what you are stating but Namath had a reputation at one time of having one of the strongest arms ever. The hype regarding Shuler would lead one to believe that he was going to be one of the strongest NFL arms ever. Simply was not true. Shuler was simply middle of the pack at best.

IDK if Namathā€™s arm strength was above average or not for his era but there was hype about it. Shulerā€™s arm strength was not above average for his era.

You do know what mediocre means?

As many know, my mom passed this past February with Alzheimer's. It's a terrible disease. Like you, my fear is I will acquire it too. I've thought about having the DNA test to see what my chances are but I'm not sure I want to know.

As to cost, my mom and dad purchased long term care insurance. It was a great that they did because of the cost of caring for them. I'm thinking of purchasing a policy myself. The last thing I want is to be a burden on my wife or children.

Do it - my wife and I got ours a dozen years ago. My MIL had it as you may remember from my past posts. A 10 year decline to death - forgetting everything. Awful. Fortunately she had a really good VA supplement with SS. The cost of assisted living in a memory care wing and nursing homes is astronomical. Even if cared for at home, home health care services are needed as you know. We went term life on ours. It has gone up through the years, but well worth the peace of mind. The coverage period on ours is 5 years of long term care costs up to a maximum amount you predetermine with a monthly maximum payout. Ours is $4500 per month for each approx. That should handle the majority of it.

okay seriously, I get the love for KY because they have so many returning, but where is this optimism coming from on FL? Didn't they lose quite a few, have some transfer, and have a few injuries? Their QB is pretty good, but I just don't see what they have that has made them a top 10 team from a talent perspective?

The offensive line for Florida is extremely talented and experienced. Thatā€™s why they get a lot of love

Hmm. . .

You do know what mediocre means?
Nothing in my posts states it was mediocre if that is the point you are making.

Nope, not over it. Shuler was an amazing, exciting QB for the University of Tennessee who gave his all for the Vols. One of my all time favorites with no worship involved. Wanted to name my son Heath, but my husband liked another name better of the 3 choices he was allowed. I don't care what reporter said what about him. I don't even know how this all started or why. But you have spent days talking about some weakness imaginary or not. Don't don't tell a Vol fan to get over that.
Again just stating what I read at the time that his arm strength was less than the NFL standard.

If you think Iā€™m afraid of you or anything like that, youā€™re sorely mistaken. I can have an opinion and make statements all I want and I donā€™t need your permission, sir. ESPECIALLY when I have firsthand accounts, experience, and knowledge. Nor will you push me into feeling about actually saying something to portray concern.. Idgaf about anything you were bloviating about Shuler. Ignore me. Donā€™t care.
Get over it.

If you think Iā€™m afraid of you or anything like that, youā€™re sorely mistaken. I can have an opinion and make statements all I want and I donā€™t need your permission, sir. ESPECIALLY when I have firsthand accounts, experience, and knowledge. Nor will you push me into feeling about actually saying something to portray concern.. Idgaf about anything you were bloviating about Shuler. Ignore me. Donā€™t care.
Get over it. You cut me down by saying I may be experiencing some cognitive issues. Are you also the type of person who makes fun of individuals with Downā€™s syndrome?

Very sorry to hear that. Having one parent suffering from Alzheimers must be brutal; I can't imagine 2 parents suffering from it. My mom was begnning to suffer from dementia when a stroke took her. My dad died at 62 from cancer so I never had to deal with alheimers, but the thought of it scares the hell out of me.. My heart goes out to you.
Classy response. Thankā€™s.

Again just stating what I read at the time that his arm strength was less than the NFL standard.
Mustā€™ve been a hell of a prose! It reversed your long held belief that he had more than adequate arm strength even tho that wasnā€™t what other scouting mags touted. Surprised you didnā€™t get it laminated!

Reactions: GoBears
I'm sorry in advance. I don't mean to pile on, but:

"Listen to stories about Shuler's arm strength:

Tennessee offensive guard Tom Myslinski and center John Fisher were sitting in the team's indoor practice facility prodding Shuler and asked him to hit a goal post nearly 70 yards away.

Shuler bounced a spiral off the right upright.

His brother, Benjie, said Heath could hit the upright from 40 yards on his knees.

"He can go deep, hit the short out on a wide field, throw hard across the middle or loft it with a touch," said Turner. "If he had been in camp the full time, he may have been our starter. Heath has another quality of a great quarterback, and that's toughness.""

SHULER: 'MY DAY WILL COME'

Tennessee offensive guard Tom Myslinski and center John Fisher were sitting in the team's indoor practice facility prodding Shuler and asked him to hit a goal post nearly 70 yards away.

His brother, Benjie, said Heath could hit the upright from 40 yards on his knees.

"He can go deep, hit the short out on a wide field, throw hard across the middle or loft it with a touch," said Turner. "If he had been in camp the full time, he may have been our starter. Heath has another quality of a great quarterback, and that's toughness.""

They obviously never met that writer! šŸ¤Ø

Dear gracious the stupidity

Offensive sets that require players to be in or around the paint are prohibited. Possession after a missed shot will be determined by a spin of the ā€œrebound wheelā€.

Should any player test positive for COVID, the remainder of the season will be determined by a series of games of HORSE to be played with each team remaining at their home court - or with individual players playing remotely from their driveway.

Those of us who sat in Neyland and watched him during those years know what kind of arm he had. We don't have to read stories or analyst comments. His arm strength was better than many HOF NFL QB's. He needed another year of mental development for the position at UT. He then got badly injured early in his career and had the Norv Turner to coach him up, which brought death to many NFL careers.

You said ā€œless than average NFL arm strengthā€. Mediocre isnā€™t a leap...thatā€™s your misrepresentation.
Thatā€™s what I read back in 94. Less than average or less than the median average. That doesnā€™t mean mediocre. It could mean in the bottom 45% as far as I know. Not a misrepresentation on my part but taken out of context by anyone who states I was referring Shuler had mediocre arm strength. Not my words at all.

Ok...nevermind. Shuler was a tank, had a cannon for an arm, but didn't have the mental ability...that was his downfall. Nobody said he had the strongest arm, but it sure as hell wasn't mediocre either...whatever report you read was written by an idiot.
I don't think his problem was mental ability. His problem was naivety. He grew up in a strict southern Christian background that saw any way but his own way as wrong and refused to compromise his beliefs in dealing with teammates. Sonny Jurgenson was hanging around the team and was befriended by Gus Frerotte, the genius that knocked himself out on a support column. You could see the discord on that team. OL were openly teasing Shuler, presumably with the backing of the Jurgenson/Frerotte faction, and what is worse, the worst coach in NFL history (Norv Turner) allowed this behavior on his team.

Reactions: GojiraVol17
Thatā€™s what I read back in 94. Less than average or less than the median average. That doesnā€™t mean mediocre. It could mean in the bottom 45% as far as I know. Not a misrepresentation on my part but taken out of context by anyone who states I was referring Shuler had mediocre arm strength. Not my words at all.
Less than mediocre...keep it straight. šŸ˜‰

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back