Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very sad. But, this is a novel virus with little to anything known about it.

What we know?

It impacts people over 65, and pre-existing conditions. At one point in time, the flu was a new virus with no vaccine. (From what i've read from UPitt reports from development of the SARS vaccine subsequently this Vaccine for SarsCov2, this virus is less hardy than Flu bc of its relative lack of protective coating).

Pitt scientists say their vaccine is most closely related to Flu vaccine in how its administered, and has a relatively cheap manufacturing cost, bc it doesnt require refrigeration. It's already ready for mass production because of advances made on SARS years prior.

Seems to move quickly. Impacts folks in super close proximity, NYC/Italy/NO. New drugs are being developed quickly.

In meantime, keep most affected areas on lockdown. I guess we'll see rolling lockdowns till a cure is found.

In short, we're going to have to figure out how to move forward. We have to live our lives. Sporting events may have to take a back seat? Folks are going to have to make very difficult choices in near future.

Chuck Webb was more complete. Lewis was great no doubt, but of all the UT RBs I have witnessed starting with Johnnie Jones in the early 80s...Webb was the best.

He would have won the Heisman before leaving Tennessee...nobody can change my mind on that.
He had uncanny vision with speed and power.

The "no school" thing will quickly become the next big issue. No school means no daycare, no aftercare. Parents will still have to make the decision on which one will not work in order to stay home and watch...and educate their children. Single parents will have a harder choice to make. Even during the summer, most households use aftercare to watch their children, so both parents can work.

Short of opening everything back up, this is going to be an issue for a long time IMO.

It's easy for everybody to opine that the shutdown was not necessary because there's no data to show what it would have been like. We only know how it is with the restrictions. There are so many differences between Covid and the flu. I don't think that there was an over reaction. I think it was erring on the side of caution, which was the right thing to do. I think it is time to let people start back to work but keep the distancing rules in place for now. No bars, no dining in, no school, no large public gatherings.
I agree with you, but I think in the long run that just slowing the inevitable spread down is going to have far more disastrous and far reaching consequences to the fabric of life.

You are are basically consigning hundreds of thousands to millions of families to financial ruin by just keeping restaurants, bars and travel destinations shut down.

There is no vaccine coming...

Edit: In time to avoid that.

The "no school" thing will quickly become the next big issue. No school means no daycare, no aftercare. Parents will still have to make the decision on which one will not work in order to stay home and watch...and educate their children. Single parents will have a harder choice to make. Even during the summer, most households use aftercare to watch their children, so both parents can work.

Short of opening everything back up, this is going to be an issue for a long time IMO.
day cares are open now and it’s almost summer anyway where parents have to juggle

Reactions: Kristy*

Yep..

No it is not, you just don't want to hear it.

Car accidents and suicides are spread out over a year where the virus hit certain areas hard in 3 weeks time. Plus, a car accident can’t spread from person to person. It is different.

I think I’m going to take a break. We all want the same thing, but maybe we differ in how we get there. More inmates and jailers just tested positive in Shelby County so not everyone is going to get back to normal. People have gotten crazy during this time, and one good poster has become defiant (not you, UM). I hope everyone stays safe.

Car accidents and suicides are spread out over a year where the virus hit certain areas hard in 3 weeks time. Plus, a car accident can’t spread from person to person. It is different.

I think I’m going to take a break. We all want the same thing, but maybe we differ in how we get there. More inmates and jailers just tested positive in Shelby County so not everyone is going to get back to normal. People have gotten crazy during this time, and one good poster has become defiant (not you, UM). I hope everyone stays safe.
Car accidents are a 35-40,000 a year..every freaking year occurrence...and even worse is the 80,000 alcohol related yearly death number..

The issue is accepted risk... and the honest question..why the hypocrisy on this? The faster we get to herd immunity to Covid-19 the better for society, dragging that out over eighteen months to two years by shutting the world down is going to cause a Great Depression, which will lead to wars, and God only knows how many other deaths.That is a dispassionate hard fact.

I don't like that anymore than you do, but I also know that pure fear is already going to cause a lot of folks to alter their behavior. At this point service industry SBOs should be given every freakin chance to make it without losing everything that they have worked for.

He had uncanny vision with speed and power.

You're absolutely right, he was the best I ever saw except for H. Walker at Georgia who was just brute force. Webb had such extraordinary balance even at full speed. But his career was over with that knee injury. Late in the game against Pacific with us winning by 30+ points, what a waste. Why Majors had him in that game I'll never know. Most people have no idea how bad that injury was. But Green Bay drafted him in the 2nd round and his knee just never came around. It's my understanding he collected $1 million on an injury policy and disappeared back to Toledo.

A friend of mine was a punter on the team and said Webb was a hard core criminal coming out of the worst part of Toledo at a time when that its was almost like Camden, NJ, a war zone. Totally scary, no one wanted to be anywhere near him off the field. They used to joke that he had a pre-designated convenience store to go rob when he needed to get it out of his system and if he went there they wouldn't report it. I know it's not true, of course, but that's pretty funny seeing as how it was coming out of the locker room.

That friend was a walk-on punter. His whole purpose was to pee in the bottle for drug tests. He got called for the "random" test every week of his career. I've never asked if other people's names were on the bottle, guess I should some time.

I ordered vitamins last week after the conversation on here with @SSVol. My wife and I are taking 5000 IU Vit D a day and a multi-vitamin. I got my daughter a Vit D chewy with 1000IU to take. I’m outside all day with my job so that’s extra Vit D, and my wife and daughter get outside a lot in the day, too, as long as weather is nice. Hey @SSVol, is the 1000IU enough for my 9 year old, or should she be taking a couple of those?

The most correct answer is to take as much as required to raise blood levels to at least 50ng/ml, preferably 60. But since testing isn’t likely an option, you can swag. If you are outdoors a lot in GA with skin exposed and no sun block, you may not need any at all. Since most of us don’t spend that much time outside, most need to, particularly in the cooler months.

Youngsters convert D more efficiently, so I wouldn’t go over 2k. 1k may be enough, but I really don’t have experience with kids. I have taken 5k-10k for years. I was taking 5k, and my level was 59ng/ml. Decent, by not as high as I would like right now, so I went back to 10k. You are a bit younger and are outdoors more so 5k is probably plenty for you. As we age, we don’t make It as efficiently, so more is necessary the older we get. Nursing home patients are known to be highly deficient.

I doubt solving this virus is as simple as taking D and C, but I am still amazed that every single group that is having the worst trouble from it is known to be deficient, and both D and C are known to have significant roles in immune function. There is simply too much evidence to ignore...and it’s cheap and easy.

At the end of the day, no one is changing anyone's opinion here. I just hope we all remember to be understanding of everyone's worries and situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back