Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't get the hate everyone shows toward him and his show. He's a radio personality. His whole job is to entertain and keep you listening. Of course the guy is going to say some stuff like that, it's literally his job to stir the pot and keep people interested. he's not 247 or Rivals so his thing is to entertain more than to inform. Dunno why everyone gets so tore up about him, i find him and his hot takes quite comical myself.
And others don’t. Free choice rules!

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Fluke upsets happen to good coaches. Total domination and lack of preparedness upsets happen to losers.

lol typical Bass. Such a homer. Those with opposing views must mean they’re trolls so they have to go on ignore.

So you are arguing that fluke losses to far inferior teams normally look like well-prepared teams in hard fought games? Ok.

It's the same ole crap over and over. 'Look at me, I'm smarter than the coaching staff because I figured we need a transfer QB right about now, dur'.
I don’t really think it’s hindsight. Most people knew that JG wasn’t very good. Even if you thought he was good, do you really think it is smart not to have a backup? Maybe they tried to recruit someone, but I don’t remember. Not claiming to be smarter than the staff, I’m sure they knew it was a risk.

I don’t really think it’s hindsight. Most people knew that JG wasn’t very good. Even if you thought he was good, do you really think it is smart not to have a backup? Maybe they tried to recruit someone, but I don’t remember. Not claiming to be smarter than the staff, I’m sure they knew it was a risk.
That comment wasn't really directed at you, was a general comment because the topic keeps coming up. We had one last year and burnt a spot to get him and he wasn't any better than JG or was he? I've personally never thought JG was good but I thought he would at least be serviceable enough for 1 freaking season. Turns out than was a lie...

So you are arguing that fluke losses to far inferior teams normally look like well-prepared teams in hard fought games? Ok.

I’m arguing that Mullen is better than Pruitt but the discussion veered a bit since then.

I really don't get the hate everyone shows toward him and his show. He's a radio personality. His whole job is to entertain and keep you listening. Of course the guy is going to say some stuff like that, it's literally his job to stir the pot and keep people interested. he's not 247 or Rivals so his thing is to entertain more than to inform. Dunno why everyone gets so tore up about him, i find him and his hot takes quite comical myself.
Too many chair shots to the head Mick.

Why do you think we are in zone so much as opposed to last year? (If we are; that is my impression.)

I really don’t know. Losing shy and Tuttle hurts but it wasn’t like they were some dynamic pass rushers. I guess they just think there’s no way they can ever get there by not bringing pressure. That’s death by paper cuts.

More than a handful of people thought he was primed for a breakout year if the OL improved. By most measurements he was pretty darn solid last year. He practiced well this year. Why not have faith in him? But I digress, numbers were an issue either way.

By the time practice came around, we had 0 spots left. I'm not sure at which point they could have even gone that route.
The only chance we even had was cutting bait with Anthony Harris or Means. One would not have been a great look (Means) and the other we really wanted to make it in (man we sure could use Harris right now). By the time Harris was 100% not in, it was so late that options were near zero.

And all this is not accounting for the fact that by all accounts JG was looking good. At some point you take your named starter and put your full confidence in him.

"Even if you thought he was good, do you really think it is smart not to have a backup?" Well, we do have 2. They were supposed to be respectable, if not experienced, guys.

Last edited:
I really don’t know. Losing shy and Tuttle hurts but it wasn’t like they were some dynamic pass rushers. I guess they just think there’s no way they can ever get there by not bringing pressure. That’s death by paper cuts.

Hank, do we ever try stunts or any moves at all? Would this not give us at least some chance to manufacture pressure with 3/4 men? It feels like we run straight forward every time and get stonewalled.

Yeah I get they were far from a #1 team overall. But, more from a fan's perepective, merely reaching that, at any point, for any period of time, is awesome when your team never does that. It's an accomplishment in itself and raises your national image.

Some non-UT friends have ragged on Barnes for his postseason record, but when I explain to them how huge it was for us just being #1 for awhile, they start to get it from my perspective. I think that month alone helped us soo much in recruiting. We won nothing of significance otherwise last year, but recruiting has exploded since. And no matter how the postseason went, I think of Barnes very highly for even getting us that far. I'd imagine MSU fans held Mullen in similar regard.
Fair enough

Final score predictions Saturday? 38-10 from me

That's a very likely score. I tend to think this one won't be a runaway blowout, because: (a) 2017 aside, we have historically tended to play above our level against UGA, they're almost like the anti-Florida for us; and (b) UGA's offense just doesn't look like it is built to blitz people early and then run away and hide, like Bama or LSU. They seem more like a ball control, play great defense, wear you down in the second half team.

I'll go with 34-13. I'd really just like to see us make the plays that are there for the taking, line up right, and execute. I don't expect us to win, I'd just like to see us not keep killing ourselves. UGA has a much better roster than us, and if we go out and play as well as we can and still lose by 2 TD's, so be it. I just hate watching us give stuff away (JJ batting TD catches up into the air and turning them into INT's, JG missing wide open receivers like DWA, giving up 60 yard bombs in a prevent defense, etc.)

Reactions: ionaVOL
If it’s some semblance of a game in the second half I’ll count that as a success.

And a much needed one.

I remember very distinctly playing Oregon in hoops 3 years ago. We eventually lost the game but the overall reaction was “this is what hope feels like”.

We need a game like that Saturday

I think the score will be something like 38-7. We get around 280 yards of offense, give up 450.

I want Gray to have some success, take one to the house. I want Maurer to provided a spark and take care of the ball I also want the Dog to get one in the end zone... one last parting gift for the pups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back