Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor is a man corner. We play almost exclusively zone this year. He was great as a freshman in a man scheme, he isn’t a zone cover.

It’s like josh Norman being great for the panthers playing zone but he’s ass with Washington in a man defense scheme.
Maybe when Thompson comes back, they can run more man.

Literally just said fulmer would never hire leach. Everyone knew leach wanted the job when Phil became AD. He didn’t even choose to interview him. Pump the breaks bud
Doubt Fulmer would have interviewed him anyway but it was already over.
Don't know why you're dancing around it, unless you're just pointing at Phil or applying for a job at KNS.
But the folks above the AD didn't want Leach. His name was already marked off, your brakes may need a little adjustment.

I mean obviously. No one is in the class with those 3. I would consider Lincoln riley the next best coach in CFB and his biggest mentor is mike leach. The similarities and creativity in their offenses are unmatched. I think way too many people question a coach’s personality and recruiting persona, especially in the SEC, over their actual coaching ability and scheme. When time after time coaches that have basically no connections or are unfamiliar with south have great success coming into this league or region and recruiting/finding quality players (urban, jakes Franklin, Butch, and countless assistant coaches). You’re only gonna recruit as good as your university and resources allow. I think building a staff full of “recruiters” has hurt us at least in the short term for now under Pruitt. So i would’ve loved to have seen coach (not just leach) who’s scheme has been proven very successful not just with him at different stops but with his coaching tree as well. Dino barbers would be someone i liked and he is from that tree as well and doing well at Syracuse

I like Dino. Think he would have been a really good hire.

raise your hand if you have me on ignore.
:)
giphy.gif

Figured I'd let the stench of losing clear out..

z8yqcr95k7501.jpg

- Kiffin was a disaster, but if we give CJP 5 years and it's still not working, and we can't get anyone better, screw it let's get Kiffin back lolol
- Mullen's reputation as QB whisperer is going to be determined by this Florida stop. Tebow was Tebow surrounded by "killer" speed.. a chimp could be the OC with that talent. He gets full credit for Dak. Nick Fitz went backwards (best season was Soph year) but was still solid at worst.
-JG is a wet dream for Saban ala John Parker Wilson, Greg McElroy, and AJ McCarron.. Has the tools to win, but needs an elite supporting cast around him, specifically a great defense. He's our best QB, but I can't wait to get Harrison Bailey on campus.
- Florida's run game suuuuucks, but our run defense/DL has been pretty soft. Our secondary is shaky with Bryce out. But we have Jauan, Banks, TooToo, and an angry OL that has been playing much better this year. This game continues to give me Auburn 2018 vibes, as it has all off-season. We need to punch them in the mouth early and keep punching after they hit back. Head says 27-19 Florida. Heart says WGWTFA

Did I miss anything?

I’m still pissed at Pruitt for losing to GSU but if you fire him in year two, you better trot out bill belichick or urban Meyer.
If we fired Pruitt in year 2 we’d be hiring the wr coach from MTSU as his replacement. That’s the only coach who’d take the job

I’m still pissed at Pruitt for losing to GSU but if you fire him in year two, you better trot out bill belichick or urban Meyer.
lol. i hear ya. and i think that's another consideration.

you really can't fire the guy right now. nobody wanted the job after the schiano deal except him and Steele and tucker.

and firing him now wouldn't exactly have the who's who of coaches lined up dropping off applications.

painful as it may be right now, i think we're gonna have to just grin and bear it a little bit here....

i still find it difficult to believe that if you give this group 3-4 full cycles, that they won't be fielding a good team.....

My 14 year old had on shorts and a long sleeved sweatshirt yesterday.

It was 97 degrees, and the child had on a sweatshirt. I followed her around with a fire extinguisher in case she spontaneously combusted.

What's funny about this that I had several football games on over the weekend, and my wife couldn't believe how many coaches either wear long sleeves or sweatshirts in the heat. I think there was a Redskins coach who looked like he had on a sweatsuit, and the temp was 81 at game time and got up to close to 90. I told her that coaches are weird.

Honestly that Craig James issue is why Leach hasn't snagged a bigger gig.

Cause fans/boosters/admin alike would drum it up...Leach didn't take that sitting down either, it's pretty rare a coach goes after (and wins) lawsuit against a university over being fired.
Which is dumb because James is a morally repugnant POS. Very well known that Craig James killed 5 hookers at SMU.

Yeah we are stuck with him for at least 2 more years regardless. Gonna be a whooole lotta 3 stars in this class.

I just don’t understand why there is any talk of Pruitt going anywhere. This is a rebuild, he’s playing freshmen and sophomores all over the field. We’ve already looked back at that 2017 recruiting class. Most are gone and the ones here aren’t very good with the exception of a couple. Those are the upperclassmen.

With that said, losing to GSU was awful and it’s on him. But he isn’t the first coach with a loss like that and he won’t be the last. It is absolutely foolish to say you’re already out on Pruitt or to be talking about hiring someone else. Look at our team. Who are our best players? Outside of the receivers and Trey Smith, the best players on this team are Pruitts guys. How about letting him get more than 1 full recruiting class before you’re talking about a coaching change. Ridiculous.
I'm with you man. He screwed up and he probably will again, it's his 1st time. But they're gonna give him both the time and support to either get it done, or prove he can't, imo. Folks need to accept that.
And it's by far in fan's best interest that he succeeds. Maybe not the social media warriors we discussed but everyone elses.

Taylor is a man corner. We play almost exclusively zone this year. He was great as a freshman in a man scheme, he isn’t a zone cover.

It’s like josh Norman being great for the panthers playing zone but he’s ass with Washington in a man defense scheme.

This.

He's trying to learn how to play zone during the games. It will pay benefits later or cause a scheme change because he is the most athletic guy they have in the secondary IMO.

Leach is an offensive genius. Pair that with the biggest recruiting budget and recourses in the nation and we have an 8 win floor for the next decade.
Not even sure if he's a genius or just happened to be brought up in the ranks with the best passing system to date. Spread out all to hell and throw to the open grass seems so simple, yet effective. All the complex systems, with the limited time you can practice in college, is nothing but a hindrance imo.

From The Athletic article it sounds like he barely even coaches guys, at least in the traditional sense:

"Jeff Tuel, 2012: We’d watch a play and he’d go, “Good.” Next play. “Good ball.” Next play. “What did you see here?” “I saw leverage on outside ‘backer.” He’d take the laser pointer and circle an empty plot of green grass. “Throw it over here next time.” Next play. It was always just like, “Wherever people aren’t, throw it there.” Or, “He’s open. You should have thrown it over there.”"

"Tuel: You expect someone with that reputation, with that many successful quarterbacks under his umbrella, to have some secret sauce or special way of calling plays or reading defenses or just some scheme that’s better than everyone’s…He just found a way to make it as simple as he can.

Brink: Every week we’d look at what the defense was going to do inside the red zone. So every week Coach Leach would lean back and be like, “All right, guys. When we’re down in the red zone, they’re going to do one of two things. They’ll be in man or they’ll be in zone.” Early on, you look around at the other quarterbacks like, “Are you serious? That’s what I came to play college football to learn?”"

Brink: Each year I would take my notebook in. We’d have the install day at the beginning of the year, so I would write down all our notes: what we’re changing, here’s our playbook. We usually cover that in the first three days. … And then by the start of the season, I honestly don’t think I would ever bring a notebook. We know the offense, we know what we’re doing, and all Leach is going to tell you is, “You threw it here, you should have thrown it here.” And it’s true!

Tuel: This guy’s the guru. He is the Air Raid. I remember at BYU our first game, we’re watching the film the next day and he says, “How many plays did you change?” I said, “Probably two or three.” He’s like, “What do you mean two or three?” I said, “I called the play, and I ran the play. That’s kind of how it’s worked for me here.” He’s like, “Well, when Graham (Harrell) was playing, those guys were checking seven out of 10 plays. I was like, “Well, you never ****ing told me that!” He’s like, “Well, you’re the one who sees it. I’m just giving you a suggestion.” I’m like, “****ing A, good to know.” There are some things you just have to figure out going through it with him.

Neville: It was fall camp my second year and someone threw a pick. He was like, “Don’t throw the ball to the other team. That’s the last thing you want to do is throw the ball to the other team.”

Jorgensen: We didn’t really have playbooks.

Brink: Any high school, any junior college, no matter where you were, your playbook gets simpler when you get to Washington State.

Tuel: Literally as simple as humanly possible.

Apodaca: I remember I threw a pick or something, and I remember asking him what coverage that play is good against. And he goes, “Well, you should have just thrown it to this ****ing guy because he’s standing there wide-ass open.”

Halliday: I said to Leach, “What do I need to do to get the ball there on time?” He was like, “Well, just throw it to the guy who’s ****ing open.” I was like, “Yeah, no, I get that dude, but what do you want me to do to get there quicker?” And he was like, “I don’t give a **** what you do. Just throw it to the guy who’s ****ing open.”

However, 2-2 Vols, fresh off a win vs a top 10 Florida team...
Stadium would be rocking! Gonna prob get wiped either way, but at least it would be energetic for a quarter or two. If we can just keep that one respectable is all I'm asking. No 2017 repeat for god's sake.

Doeren is an interesting coach...goes 3-9 then 8-5.

Pulls Jacoby Brissett there as a transfer from Florida, now he's a starting NFL QB for the Colts. Then lands Ryan Finley as a transfer from Boise State and turns him into a NFL QB who could end up starting this year if Dalton stumbles for the Bengals. Seems to have a top 50 defense yearly, runs a balanced offense that runs the ball (has had 1k rushers the last 3 seasons). I don't know, my hangup with him was I felt he was trying to use us to get his contract dispute with NC State settled and get a raise (which he did).
My hangup with him is that we know what his ceiling is. He’ll win you 7-9 games every year. Hindsight 20/20 maybe that would have been the smarter choice, but bringing him in is basically admitting you’re not interested in ever being anything more than pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back