Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it being taken out of context? The post about the class looking different moving forward was ambiguous. People will interpret it differently because the post was vague.
But AV rarely (maybe never??) posts anything negative about the program, especially recruiting. So it would be very unusual for him to have meant it negatively.

This reminded me of the three that Dane Bradshaw hit against (I think) Vandy and turned and pointed to the crowd right after it left his hand.
He shot a 3 at LSU and high fived the bench behind him as soon as he let it go. He played with so much passion. I loved watching Dane Bradshaw.

I was cleaning up my rec room the other day and found the book he wrote, Vertical Leap. He was my favorite VFL from the Bruce Pearl era.

Last edited:
Reactions: SD189 and drvenner
Our chance to hire Brown was 2017. Why would he leave WV, now? Sonny Dykes would be good. But if he leaves SMU, I think it would be for the other UT.
The other UT better hope for better than Sonny Dykes. Our fan base is pretty unreasonable, but that bunch is down right delusional! They need a bigger name.

Yes to Neal Brown. Hard pass on Healy.
Yeah, I’d need to see two solid seasons at Charlotte (this year and next) before I felt comfortable with Healy.

But I think he’s going to do that. They’ve been ravaged by COVID but the record is respectable this year and they’re recruiting well so next season should be a pretty big step up.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
AV said it would look different, but I don’t think he meant that it a negative, “tanking” kind of way.

The best thing that could happen for the Vols this weekend is to play HB, let him throw and if nothing else, try new things and have some fun. Nobody at UT is having any fun, and this is not lost on recruits.

Last year, the SRs turned things around. This year, it's the young guys' turn. HB and Hyatt-- it starts there.
I agree with you in theory. In a season gone to hell, start developing your building blocks of the future.

But I don’t think football coaches, and Jeremy Pruitt in particular, think that way. His goal is to win on Saturday, as short sighted as it seems to us on the outside. And his goal is to keep all of his “future” ammunition unused, that way he can sell the potential to boosters and fans who are calling for his head.

As soon as HB comes out and throws three interceptions and we keep losing, what can he point to as justification for keeping his job?

I don’t think recruiting can be “saved.” We had that great run in May and still topped out around 10th in the country. A very average class for Tennessee - we just did it in the Spring vs. Signing Day.

Now our class is likely to be picked apart by teams actually selling a winning product. I don’t think “hey, we’re still losing, but now we’re losing with younger players!” stems the bleeding at all.

Opposing coaches are telling our prospects, and our current players, that Pruitt is a dead man walking. And they’re right. Whether the ax falls this year, next year, or the year after is irrelevant. Prospects see the guillotine being readied, and the sight of that has spooked them and it’s the only thing that matters.

I wasn’t just basing that on AV’s post.

The other UT better hope for better than Sonny Dykes. Our fan base is pretty unreasonable, but that bunch is down right delusional! They need a bigger name.
They aren’t delusional. It’s football in Texas. They will probably hire Meyer and win 2 NCs in the next 5 years.

I have felt for awhile that this was at least a factor with HB. Might not be the entire reason but it is part of the equation. I mean just look at the posters on here that expect HB to be "the answer" because of his recruiting profile. They know he is not ready yet. They put him out there and he looks bad and the coaches lose that pitch about him being the answer next season.
Loser mentality. Let’s wait to start getting better in case we fail more. 😴

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back