Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s my take.
- The team quit yesterday because they watched Jarrett run back in the game after Shrout threw that pick. They’re tired of Mr Throw the game away always getting another chance.
- Mark Stoops likely just won his chance at a top tier job and when he does leave, UK will be the same ole they’ve been & their cupboard will be dry.
- Anyone that legitimately thought this season would be “it” for this football team hasn’t been honest with themselves. This is still very much a team in developmental mode.
-Harrison Bailey very likely could be the future at QB and definitely seemed to show some poise & guts in the pocket for the short period of time he was in.
-Wideman needs to play more in each game going forward. Period. I saw enough just on that one catch.
- The last thing we need is to blow up this entire staff and start over. Tee needs to be moved to QB coach, Jim needs to be moved to O line, Friend definitely isn’t getting the job done so he likely needs to be gotten rid of. He can’t pull his weight in recruiting, either. Maybe slide Chip Long into the OC role. He’s done fine with lesser talent elsewhere.

Next day thought...

In the end it doesn't matter to me personally...win, lose or completely suck....I am a Vol till I die.

I will probably never see a good Tennessee program again in my lifetime, but I will still be a Vol.

I'm just happy to be able to see my team play and feel passionate about it....UT football and basketball are the only sports that matter to me any more.

I'm here for the off-season hope, recruiting highs and lows, in-season roller coaster of seeing glimmers of what we can be, then the nut kicks of what we aren't(mainly due to JG, lack of talented upperclassmen and lack of depth).

I'm here for the unexpected good performances and the unexpected embarrassments. I'm here for watching development of specific players and being happy for them and I'm here for witnessing truly great players (Henry T. and Trey Smith) and feeling bad that they don't have enough help around it.

I don't get as mad as often at losses but I still have my moments. I just hope that Bailey takes over and develops chemistry with the weapons we do have. I appreciate Seniors like Palmer and Brandon Johnson that go out and try to make plays.

I hope enough of the few talented upperclassmen stay one more year and I hope we bring in a couple of immediate contributors so that next season with Bailey or Salter is the rise to the top.

Even if we fail miserably I'm here for it all and thankful that I was born a VFL. Excited for basketball to start....we are closer to being elite in that sport.

Few post-Kentucky random thougths

• Being a Tennessee Volunteers fan is a painful existence anymore. I wish I could quit, because truth be told, I'm sincerely questioning whether or not we will ever be "great" again. Feels like we're just a misguided fanbase along with Michigan and Nebraska - thinking we're going to return to an era that is long gone.
  • Such a disheartening game. I thought we were past these types of performances. That reeked of tail end of '18.
  • I know this year doesn't count towards eligibility, but honestly I hope none of our remaining '16/'17 kids decide to come back. I want to shut the door on that entire era. Looking at you specifically Shamburger. Edit: Trey Smith the obv only exception
  • I can see why uga was fine letting Jim Chaney go. I see nothing unique, creative, deceptive, or otherwise giving us an advantage when it comes to his offensive gameplans.
  • Don't ever tell me Chaney is a QB whisperer either. VQ guys love to say that - but he's been here two years and JG is still trash, and JT Shrout isn't worth a damn either.
  • For the first time - I'm seriously questioning if coach Pruitt is the man for the job. Our defense just isn't very good. DB guru but we can't stop a slant or the middle of the field to save our fkn lives. Its embarrassing.
  • Not only that but he's been saying forever JG "gives us the best chance to win." Fkn really? Then what the hell are we doing at the position?
  • And to pile on - I'm not finding him to be the elite recruiter he gets credit for. Sure, kids love him, he keeps it real, but more times than not we come in second place on the big fish. Even to in state kids who's family loves Tennessee. We had a great May, but I'd be very surprised if a number of those big fish didn't decommit before its all said and done.
  • Fire Weinke
  • Fire Friend. Elite offensive lineman but they get their manhood taken from them a lot. Lets not forget were a muffed punt from potentially being 1-3.
  • Darnell Wright is Drew Richmond.
  • Velus Jones was a waste of an initial counter. Average returner and offensive production hasn't been there.
  • I don't have much actual thought on the game because honestly there isn't much worthwhile to say. Just glad it was a 12'oclock game and a beautiful Saturday. Turned it off at the start of the 4th and enjoyed the day with the kids.
  • I sincerely regret every halfway positive thing I've ever said about JG. He is garbage and I wish I could fast forward to the day when he isn't the QB1 anymore. But I guarantee Pruitt trots him out there next week. It might not matter, as we don't stand a chance against Alabama - but optics wise, it sucks. Just roll Shrout and let him get destroyed, then give Bailey run the remainder of the year. If Mauer and Shrout both want to transfer because of that, no biggie.
  • Makes my heart smile that uga got destroyed in the second half today. EAD kirby and curse you for making me root for saban. Only bad news is, uga and ua might as well fast forward to the SECCG now, and the rest of college football is so bad that even the loser of that game likely goes to the playoffs.
We did beat SC. Try to keep those happy thoughts.

Wideman, Hyatt and Holiday need more touches moving forward. Time for Wideman to be the Callaway deep ball throw it up 50/50 guy. Palmer can still be Palmer. Johnson/Hyatt split time in slot. Holiday/Velus should alternate that role along with some wildcat
Beckwith needs playing time now as well. The upperclassmen are showing they can’t really get it done. Gray is fine and he’s one of the bright spots. Chandler is fine as well.

Georgia’s collapse this weekend is mirroring ours from last weekend.
Identical. Bama realized that the Georgia QB has a noodle arm and just took away the short and middle passes. Ballgame. The difference between us and Georgia is their superior talent on defense. Aside from that, we have the same issue. No QB.

CJP has the best scenario here. Play Maurer and Bailey. This season won’t count against anyone’s eligibility so JG can transfer and try his senior year somewhere else. We can use the year to develop young guys.

I am a patient man. I believed in Butch and Dooley way too long. I'm not going to do it with Pruitt. He needs to show us something good this year or we need to start looking around. The train wrecks have to stop. That D needs to play better and we need leadership and a QB with even a little football IQ running the offense.

I don't think having a taller QB would've helped UGA that much. Bama is just a lot better on defense than UGA is on offense. Bama is too balanced on offense. They averaged 5 yards a clip running the ball. UGA can't really commit to stopping the run and leave their secondary in space. Those WRs are fast and their TE is used properly. I mean, their QB actually went through his progressions. JG threw a 4 yard out in press coverage that was promptly pick sixed. 🤦🏽‍♂️
I think a taller QB would have helped a lot... Lol. Dudes like, what 5'8"? Lol

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I am a patient man. I believed in Butch and Dooley way too long. I'm not going to do it with Pruitt. He needs to show us something good this year or we need to start looking around. The train wrecks have to stop. That D needs to play better and we need leadership and a QB with even a little football IQ running the offense.
To be fair, the man is playing a QB that he didn’t recruit and has only been playing him due to what he’s seen from him in practice. But I’m ready for the JG nightmare to be over. Didn’t Bo Nix start as a freshman? There’s your template. Hell, I think HB is better than Bo, imo.

I agree with everyone else. Play the youth, get them ready for next year. We weren’t competing for sec this year anyway and knew that deep down. Want and able to are two different things.
Barring serious injury, our team will be better off the remainder of this year mentally, and better prepared for next year.
Playing JG all year does us zero good for next year.

Here’s my take.
- The team quit yesterday because they watched Jarrett run back in the game after Shrout threw that pick. They’re tired of Mr Throw the game away always getting another chance.
- Mark Stoops likely just won his chance at a top tier job and when he does leave, UK will be the same ole they’ve been & their cupboard will be dry.
- Anyone that legitimately thought this season would be “it” for this football team hasn’t been honest with themselves. This is still very much a team in developmental mode.
-Harrison Bailey very likely could be the future at QB and definitely seemed to show some poise & guts in the pocket for the short period of time he was in.
-Wideman needs to play more in each game going forward. Period. I saw enough just on that one catch.
- The last thing we need is to blow up this entire staff and start over. Tee needs to be moved to QB coach, Jim needs to be moved to O line, Friend definitely isn’t getting the job done so he likely needs to be gotten rid of. He can’t pull his weight in recruiting, either. Maybe slide Chip Long into the OC role. He’s done fine with lesser talent elsewhere.
Most rational post Ive seen. Weinke and Friend need to move on. Team will only go as far as QB. Same is true for Auburn. Same is true for Georgia. Other glaring issue to me is Safety play. That said. Fix whats broke and move on.

In 2015 after all the close losses I had one foot out the door with Butch. In 16 after TX AM I knew he wasn't the guy. Im not ready to give up on Pruitt yet but im heading to grab my coat before I open the door. But what this admin cannot do is hold on to Pruitt if he can't get it done and let the cupboards dry up before starting over. Theres a little more talent on the roster and we have some good recruits coming in. A new coach would actually have a little something to work with if we didn't wait

To be honest, I’m still pretty high on this team. We aren’t as bad as we looked yesterday. That was a team that was truly deflated. If we can get good/consistent QB play then we’ll be fine
Even that being true that's an indicator of a lack of leadership....

Beckwith needs playing time now as well. The upperclassmen are showing they can’t really get it done. Gray is fine and he’s one of the bright spots. Chandler is fine as well.

We need a big back or even small to play more snaps. I love gray most of time but a few times he should have got first down by going north and south but he gets wiggle happy and ends up 3rd and 2 two or three times in the game instead of putting head down and it be first down or 3rd and 1/inches. I really like how Small hits the hole.

One thing everyone needs to process is we aren’t doomed. I see a lot of morons on twitter acting like we are back to the end of butch level years. That is beyond stupid. This defense played good enough to win both losses until it was obvious the offense wasn’t going to pull it out. Yesterday would have been 13-7 into late fourth if not pick 6 but really should have been up if we scored first two drives like we should. Run game and OL we’re good enough to win. We ran for 175 yards. Gray had over 100 in first half. We could have Leaned on them if not for the hole Jg dug for us. WRs didn’t get a chance due to QB and Play calling scared. We are a QB away. That is it. We can win a lot of game this year if we can find a qb these kids can rally around. That is Maurer or HB. The other two do not have the swagger or exude confidence around them like these two

Most rational post Ive seen. Weinke and Friend need to move on. Team will only go as far as QB. Same is true for Auburn. Same is true for Georgia. Other glaring issue to me is Safety play. That said. Fix whats broke and move on.
With Pruitts reputation as and Elite DB coach I am shocked at our safety play and the fact that we've only signed one truly elite corner

JT threw a duck that was promptly picked. Pruitt does not have the luxury to change OC again. He needs to give the OC the players that he needs to win. I doubt Chaney thinks that JG is the best that we have right now. Because JG can't read coverages, or make the right throw. In his fifth year, he should know these things. The 1st pick six, he was determined to go to that receiver, despite the coverage. The fumble, he did not communicate the play change. This is 1st and 2nd year mistakes.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the current head coach who stated none of these fumbles or INT’s were JG’s fault....😂😂

1603031029482.gif

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
I am disappointed with JG, but I expected that. What is really disappointing is the offensive line play, especially the tackles. Wright and Morris are still making freshman mistakes. We only scored when we move Cade to tackle and played Carvin and Spraggins at guard. Carvin must be hurt. Our tackles, even Cade, cannot pass protect. Something is not right. I would say start HB next week, but I am afraid the line will get him killed.

We are decent to good across the interior of the OL, especially on run blocking. Most of this pressure isn't coming up the middle. The 5 star OT's are both hitting a sophomore slump, and we don't have any RB's or TE's who give us anything in pass blocking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vols All Day
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back