Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
There appears to be a significant segment of the Georgia fanbase that is worried about their game with us this weekend. Of course most of their fanbase hasn’t given us a second thought other than hearing something about us having a good offensive line. The latter group tends to dismiss us as having not been tested, which in my opinion is actually true, at least not like we will be tested Saturday. The truth is Auburn doesn’t have an offensive line and they are rebuilding their defensive line. Arkansas is starting fresh this year with new coaches and schemes everywhere so it’s not like Georgia has been tested either, not yet. jmo.

I was surprised to see PFF grade our wide receiver group as the 2nd best in the country, ranking only behind Alabama. I think we have some work to do there, particularly with some of the younger guys but Palmer and Jones have proven to be tough guys so we’ll see.

The thing is WE.WILL.RUN.THE.BALL against Georgia. The larger segment of their fanbase don’t think we can but that is absurd. You have to remove emotion and ask the question – what does it take to run the ball in the SEC against the better defensive fronts? The answer is capable running backs and an elite offensive line. That’s the answer. It’s not complicated. We.will.run.the.ball against Georgia. They won’t be able to stop us with any consistency.

We’re likely not going to be playing finesse football – We’re going to be playing old school physical whup their ass at the line of scrimmage football – and think about it – I mean really stop and think about it – we have the guys this year to do that. Our guys will be playing with attitude. This will be a real fight in the trenches. Our guys won’t be stopped.

Pruitt after the Missouri game:

#WGWTFA
Well said, good post man. About to get me fired up

Personally more worried about their pass defense. That is where most of their 5*s are and they are far and away the best statistically in the league.

Their run defense so far has proven no better than what Miss St or UK did vs their common opponents - Arky and Auburn. And our OL of course is great. Not sure if we have the AA type of receivers yet to give them a ton of trouble.

Our OL is great on paper at this point. They have played good to this point, not great. A whole lot of room for improvement. And I am not dissing them; they essentially missed spring ball since they only had 2 days and never got to pads, most of the OL got limited practice days during fall, so they haven't had the opportunity to develop chemistry. That is essentially what they are finally doing now that the season has started, so they are improving week to week.

Our WRs can get open if we can keep JG out of 3rd and long, so we have to have success on 1st and 2nd downs. If UGA can just pin its ears back and come at JG he won't have enough time to look for open receivers. I suspect Chaney to pas a bit on early downs to keep the LBs honest.

Also, when I said it is hard to quibble with Harper's assertion that we can't run on UGA, I just meant I can understand his point, all things considered. UGA is considered as having the best overall D in college footballwhile our OL, albeit extremely talented, is trying to become a cohesive unit in a hurry. I don't think we will have near as many chunk plays as Chandler and Gray had against Mizzou, and the only way we could have similar success is if one of the RBs had an explosive 60-70 yd run play, which I think unlikely because of the quality of the UGA secondary. Those safeties are not likely to let someone break a long run, which was very much like UT's safeties last season.

As I also noted in a post earlier this afternoon, if our D can play to its potential and limit UGA's offense to under 24 points, and we can be 2> in TOs, and win field position, then I believe we can get enough out our offense to pull a win. UGA has a crap more talent than we do, but they can't get all that talent on the field at the same time, but unfortunately that means they have a lot more quality depth. So we have to play mistake free on both sides of the ball and hope they don't. Also, I do think we have the better all around x&o coaching, which certainly accounts for something.

@VolsDoc81TX is still a communist and proud of it.

tenor.gif

Comrade, the Gulag is waiting for your old tired bones...come, we go now. Unfortunately, you will only get replays of the aggies-andy game...

On VQ podcast today, they said Pruitt wants to beat UGA more than any other team. You have to believe his players feel the same way and will leave it all out on the field. Sometimes you just gotta want it more.

Beat UGA more than any other team? What’s that based on? It seems to me that Pruitt wants to beat Alabama more than the others.

I think if Tn can get some pressure on Ga QB and force him into some mistakes and not let this QB beat them then Tn has a chance to hold Gas offense. I am more worried about our LBs and DBs getting beat all day. On offense Tn has to be able to run the ball and not depend on JG to beat Ga with his arm.

Reactions: VOLSONLY and StoVol
You have no idea.
The internal hatred of Kirby and his entire staff is at unprecedented levels. This game has been circled by JP for quite some time. There isn’t a game he wants to win more than this one...
Love it! That means we are going to pull out all the stops.

You have no idea.
The internal hatred of Kirby and his entire staff is at unprecedented levels. This game has been circled by JP for quite some time. There isn’t a game he wants to win more than this one...

What’s the background here? Why all the bad blood? Is it all the negative recruiting by Kirby or what?

Reactions: UTProf
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back