Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Soil here. Just because it was humans that cleared out farmland does not mean they have a direct impact. Niches need to be filled and the coyote took advantage of it
My point exactly. "Invasive" is normally reserved for plants and animals that have been physically introduced to a new area (accidentally or purposefully), AND are detrimental to the ecosystem they've inhabited. Coyotes are neither of those, despite how passionately many hate them.

@StoVol was that burger seasoning you was talking about a few weeks ago called Weber gourmet burger seasoning? TIA
I hesitate to mention it but the best seasoning we've used is Regas seasoning. It's from the old (now gone) Regas restaurant in Knoxville. If you're not familiar, it used to be the premier restaurant back in the day and for most people it was a rare treat to go there, including myself. The reason I hate to mention it is because it is becoming harder and harder to find on the shelf.

This website claims to have it:

Purchase Regas Seasoning | Regas Seasoning, Knoxville

It is really good, especially on beef.

they are in suburbs now.

TWRA considers nuisance animal. Refuse to relocate. I was told 'check with municipality before discharging a weapon'...'we wont intervene'.

My wife said it cant get in over our fence 😳 check that, they can.

Unfortunately in city its either poison or hand to hand combat.
Crossbow

From a wildlife biology perspective, they're technically not invasive. They're naturalized, their expansion was not aided by humans directly, and filled the niche red wolves used to fill in the ecosystem. They will be considered a native species in a matter of decades. Everything happened naturally with them.

Perhaps not directly aided, but maybe influenced. It may sound far-fetched, but II suspect that coyotes followed the influx of Mexican immigrants to the southeast.

See, I'm a quarter mile from Broadway, I-40 and 640, in Knoxville, so I've never seen or heard a coyote, around my house and probably never will. So, although I've heard, what a pain in the a$$, they are, I've never seen it. Plus, I'm soft, I don't even like to kill spiders, the only thing I've really killed on purpose is a couple of mice and rats and I felt bad about the mice
I've seen many coyotes, turkeys, and a couple of bears on the grounds of ORNL. The only reason you haven't seen coyotes in your neighborhood is that they don't want you to see them. I live in the middle of OR and can hear them yipping behind my house at least once a week. I feel no qualms about dispatching rodents and neither does my dog.

Last edited:
Correct. Both grey and red wolf extirpation from the contiguous states were contributing factors. It allowed them to expand without predation and fill the niche. I would call that indirect. When I say "direct" I mean humans didn't introduce the animal to new areas.

Ranges, climates, ecosystems are constantly changing over time. There's a constant debate about what the "normal" state of things is from a habitat and wildlife perspective because of this. We typically draw arbitrary lines at periods of time in history for this. Say, pre-European settlement, for instance, is a popular one.
There was never a coyote east of the Mississippi until we built bridges.

My point exactly. "Invasive" is normally reserved for plants and animals that have been physically introduced to a new area (accidentally or purposefully), AND are detrimental to the ecosystem they've inhabited. Coyotes are neither of those, despite how passionately many hate them.
If coyotes can help control feral hogs, they can provide a good service

Reactions: VOLSONLY
This was years ago, probably ~12 years ago, but if anyone is familiar with Maryville back then I was driving home from my buds house located near Springbrook park. While driving over the then Hunt Rd. bridge (next to the airport) I saw three coyotes just trotting down the side of the road/bridge.

Also, another monstrosity is rabbits. Those little buggers like to eat my fruit and veggies. Took out a family of 10 this summer with my .22 rifle.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back