Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure. I do know microscopically, in Yellowstone that after their reintroduction i Hayden Valley Mule Deer and Elk Populations stabilized, where they had been declining.

They are very, very smart animals. And integral. Ergo doesnt surprise me one bit.

Anyway, one animal that always had me un nerved is Mountain Lion. You'll never know what hit you.
I had bad dreams about mountain lions for years after I read "Where the red fern grows" in the third grade.

See, I'm a quarter mile from Broadway, I-40 and 640, in Knoxville, so I've never seen or heard a coyote, around my house and probably never will. So, although I've heard, what a pain in the a$$, they are, I've never seen it. Plus, I'm soft, I don't even like to kill spiders, the only thing I've really killed on purpose is a couple of mice and rats and I felt bad about the mice

I know they’re nasty stinking dogs. I’ve killed them in the past deer hunting. They’re smart animals
In Yellowstone they are actually beautiful animals..every coyote I have ever seen anywhere else is an ugly animal.

Fun fact...In Yellowstone the Wolves keep the Coyote numbers waaaay down.

Not really overriding, just additional rules, like the sec having control over sec transfer waivers now. They can always have stricter rules for themselves, just not looser, which would be overriding. I think there was similar lag with grad transfers, with the SEC still restricting years after the NCAA allowed them.

Honestly I would hate to get Mondon and Mims and have to wonder how often Auburn and UGA kept inviting them to cabins and such all freshmen year and trying to get them to transfer through backchannels.
I liked the sit for a year if you transfer rule, but if they are going let some be eligible immediately then all should be. The SEC finally caved on the grad transfer and will eventually have to with the one time transfer rule. We'll just have to live with the consequences.

Reactions: Devo182
See, I'm a quarter mile from Broadway, I-40 and 640, in Knoxville, so I've never seen or heard a coyote, around my house and probably never will. So, although I've heard, what a pain in the a$$, they are, I've never seen it. Plus, I'm soft, I don't even like to kill spiders, the only thing I've really killed on purpose is a couple of mice and rats and I felt bad about the mice
That's me. Except spiders. They must die.

In the old days state paid a bounty, and then you could sell the hides. FLA should do the same with pythons.
I think it was the livestock association in Texas...the local ranchers straight up hated those things, I can't remember how much it was, it was 36 years ago, but I rememberbeing shocked at the number. The bounty hunters kept them well in check.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Also, by changing the landscape from woodlands to more agriculture was another key factor in the expansion of the coyote. Their expansion was most definitely aided by humans.
And not just ag but all development, residential, parks, whatever. We’ve unwittingly created a perfect habitat for a clever, stealthy, adaptable and very mobile animal that can eat damn near anything, and we’ve removed all natural predators above them. They’re here to stay.

I live in a gated community with a few hundred homes and my doorbell cam caught one walking right by my front door a few weeks ago. We occasionally find the remains of neighborhood cats when we walk the dog. I’ve seen them in urban areas, the burbs, golf courses, everywhere. They’re here to stay.

My favorite was while playing golf a few years ago, we rode up to a tee box to find a coyote lying in tall grass about five feet off the cart path right beside our tee. He didn’t seem too concerned about us so we got out and proceeded to tee off. He just laid there and watched, and every time one of us hit the ball his head turned and watched it fly through the air. It was hilarious.

they are in suburbs now.

TWRA considers nuisance animal. Refuse to relocate. I was told 'check with municipality before discharging a weapon'...'we wont intervene'.

My wife said it cant get in over our fence 😳 check that, they can.

Unfortunately in city its either poison or hand to hand combat.

Hell they run around in the parking lot of my apartment complex lmao. They're everywhere.

We’re neighbors! I live about 2 miles from Halls High school, myself.

Their expansion was aided by the overhunting of the timber wolf and extirpation from many states across the country.
Correct. Both grey and red wolf extirpation from the contiguous states were contributing factors. It allowed them to expand without predation and fill the niche. I would call that indirect. When I say "direct" I mean humans didn't introduce the animal to new areas.

Ranges, climates, ecosystems are constantly changing over time. There's a constant debate about what the "normal" state of things is from a habitat and wildlife perspective because of this. We typically draw arbitrary lines at periods of time in history for this. Say, pre-European settlement, for instance, is a popular one.

Reactions: BennesseeVols
Also, by changing the landscape from woodlands to more agriculture was another key factor in the expansion of the coyote. Their expansion was most definitely aided by humans.
Again, 100% aided by what I would call indirect contribution. Direct contribution, by my terminology, would be the introduction of a non-native. With coyotes, humans indirectly created optimal conditions and they took advantage of it and naturalized themselves on the landscape.

Again, 100% aided by what I would call indirect contribution. Direct contribution, by my terminology, would be the introduction of a non-native. With coyotes, humans indirectly created optimal conditions and they took advantage of it and naturalized themselves on the landscape.
I agree with Soil here. Just because it was humans that cleared out farmland does not mean they have a direct impact. Niches need to be filled and the coyote took advantage of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back