Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also live in a reality where power 5 schools have the money to provide healthcare to former players that need it. I’m well aware of everything these guys get in school which is why I don’t think the school should pay them. They did sacrifice their health for the chance to make it professionally BUT they did it at a time when they were young and healthy and the school profited in a major way off of that. The additional thing schools should provide is health care to former players. Pretty simple and moral request to meet

I think your assumption that schools can afford this is invalid. You are talking about hundreds of student athletes that graduate every year and you want them to carry their insurance for the rest of their lives? CFB makes a lot of money, but insuring thousands of former athletes would bankrupt all but the top few. In down years, they couldn't support it.

In fact, the NCAA shows that even the Power 5 operate at a loss on average.

Finances of Intercollegiate Athletics

In total, only 29 athletics departments’ generated revenues exceeded their expenses in 2018 — all were in the autonomy five conferences — and the average surplus at those schools was $9.3 million.

Well, if we just take Trey, consider he is getting his degree and working to make millions in the NFL. He should be able to pay for his healthcare either way. What the hope is is the other players are working to get their degree so they can provide for themselves even if they don't make it in the NFL. But I don't see anything wrong with the university providing care for injuries they suffered while there if they are unable to do so. That's just goodwill. But the goal should be for athletes to use their skills to get an education to be able to provide for themselves.

Maybe they should talk to Inky Johnson...

The money is there for players to get what they deserve so why deprive them of it?
Well they won't get what they deserve if there are no sports to play.

No longer student-athletes. Just students.

Will they get what they "deserve" next year after the entire industry loses billions?

What they deserve right now is to play the sports that has afforded them free 100 thousand dollar educations, room and board and opportunity.

Look I agree with them being able to have healthcare after football, but if there is no season then they are closer to never playing again than they are getting extra benefits.

Hell, most players know they don't have an NFL future. They rely on that scholarship for an education so they will have a future career. What incentive do those players have to rock the boat? None, IMO. They might not be the superstars, but they'll be willing to play and get free school.

If they cancel college sports for the next year, it will be EXPONENTIALLY more devastating than if they go run around on a filed together or play a sport indoors with no fans.

Sane people need to step the hell up.

An entire industry will go up in flames and the residual effects are heart breaking. Sure they could recover but the cost will be tremendous. And it's not really a given at all that they would recover.

Everything is totally absurd.
Why can people not see beyond what "we deserve" to the reality of the consequences?

That is because people are stupid.
I think the younger generation has been taught to look for injustices to fight for. They have not been taught to look at what consequences may happen. How sad would it be if players demanding more now because they see an opportunity to use the virus only to have their bluff called and all athletic scholarships canceled next year while schools try to dig their way out?

I think the younger generation has been taught to look for injustices to fight for. They have not been taught to look at what consequences may happen. How sad would it be if players demanding more now because they see an opportunity to use the virus only to have their bluff called and all athletic scholarships canceled next year while schools try to dig their way out?
I wish someone had thought to teach them about responsibility, because it seems fewer and fewer have been taught that lesson.

I think your assumption that schools can afford this is invalid. You are talking about hundreds of student athletes that graduate every year and you want them to carry their insurance for the rest of their lives? CFB makes a lot of money, but insuring thousands of former athletes would bankrupt all but the top few. In down years, they couldn't support it.

This is actually interesting. Didn’t realize that. I guess this is why the players are arguing that coaches get too much?

The world has gone full retard, and I am afraid there is no coming back from it. The tail has wagged the dog off a cliff.

Last edited:
NCAA will not recover from this. Can see major universities forming a new governing body in future. It will be professional football in college. Say goodbye to vast majority of college athletics. There will be about 20-25 schools that will be able to play. Ironically, in the end IT’S THE ATHLETES WHO WILL SUFFER.
Shortsighted idiots.

Also, an argument I would make here is that they should cut/downgrade the majority of non-revenue sports. Make the non revenue sports club level and focus funds on revenue generating sports

Absolutely coaches get too much IMO. Not sure how you unring that bell though.
Even professional contracts are stupid. Look at the contract Mahommes just got nibody enough ever make that much playing a kids game. I love sports as much as anyone but theres a lot of people who deserve that much money more than athletes and coaches

Even professional contracts are stupid. Look at the contract Mahommes just got nibody enough ever make that much playing a kids game. I love sports as much as anyone but theres a lot of people who deserve that much money more than athletes and coaches

I agree. And they don't even work year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back