Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of any NFL team, though the niners and bills I will pull for. Not enough to watch closely though like UT, so the draft is more just entertainment for me.

True team fans - who do you all hope/expect your team will land tomorrow night? Calling @jakez4ut @HankHill Falcons, JAX, and Titans fans.

I’ll throw this out there because I can’t be the only one (and we’ll see how long it sticks!)...

I’ve always been conservative and voted in every election for which I’m eligible. What I’ve observed over these past 25-30 years is that for me personally, and the lives of me and my family, it doesn’t matter very much who controls Congress and/or who is the president. And the extremely overwhelming majority of all of them are despicable. Both sides disgust me. So, this will be the first time that I will not vote. As I mentioned, I’m pretty conservative (both fiscally and socially, but probably more so fiscally), but I’m ashamed of who I voted for in 2016 and I won’t do it again.

All that to say that it’s so stupid to bring politics into the virus debate. We aren’t going to know for quite some time who was right or wrong, and even then all the data will be slanted to the authors political leaning.

I will say that, as a resident of Georgia and having a wife and child in an “at risk” category, I think it’s incredibly dumb for Kemp to be going into Phase 1 recovery this soon. Don’t the guidelines say that you have to have a reliable 14-day trend of declining cases? We are nowhere near that...I’m not even sure we have a 7-day declining trend, since there are still cases from the past several days that haven’t been reported yet.

/rant...I hoped that would make me feel better but it didn’t. 😞

You are correct about the guidelines.

Opening Up America Again | The White House

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of any NFL team, though the niners and bills I will pull for. Not enough to watch closely though like UT, so the draft is more just entertainment for me.

True team fans - who do you all hope/expect your team will land tomorrow night? Calling @jakez4ut @HankHill Falcons, JAX, and Titans fans.
I just trust my Saints are drafting at least 3 future all-pro players and a league MVP

Reactions: Devo182

Steelers traded their 1st round pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick. Great trade for them, and it sure paid off last year. No DB in this draft is as good as him

It was good this season. Offense was an abomination.
It wasn't good, but expected. I'm just excited by the progress of Fulky, Pons, and JJJ's intraseason progress. He was playing well by the end.

Still a bit concerned at the roster balance. I see a ton of guards, but much less at 4/5, especially Center. Hopefully Uros takes a huge step forward like Kyle did in the past.

But if guards win in March...let's roll.

Reactions: franklinpence
As a big Titan fan, I would love to see one of the 3 highly rated RT's drop to 29. I just can't put my finger on how and when "the run" on a certain position group will start. And it kinda wouldn't surprise me to see Robinson trade that pick for more draft capital, unless a guy falls there that he covets.

Reactions: Rishvol and Devo182
It wasn't good, but expected. I'm just excited by the progress of Fulky, Pons, and JJJ's intraseason progress. He was playing well by the end.

Still a bit concerned at the roster balance. I see a ton of guards, but much less at 4/5, especially Center. Hopefully Uros takes a huge step forward like Kyle did in the past.

But if guards win in March...let's roll.

Got me before I edited. Our defense was good. They had occasional lapses, but given the difference in talent, I was very encouraged by the defense.

Cowboys - Chaisson Randle most realistic. Would love for Ruggs to fall. Don’t want CJ Henderson.

Calloway exit interview excerpts

How would you describe your experience at Tennessee?

Ah man, Tennessee has been everything I could expect and then some. Going through the coaching changes, going through the season we went through. Not just last year, but all the years I’ve been there. Every year has been a story in itself.

I made some great friends, some great memories. I made friends I wouldn’t have made if not for football. I’m happy. I’m proud of my decision. My family was able to come to damn near all my games, all the home and away games. I’m thankful for that. I’m proud they’ve been with me.

How would you describe the program Jeremy Pruitt runs at Tennessee?

I think he’s doing a great job. He came in with a lot of expectations as any team would with a new coach. He was held to a high standard, and with his reputation of how he treats guys on and off the field, it goes back to his time at Alabama. The guys there loved him, his former players at Alabama loved him.

The guys here his first year, guys were kind of iffy. But he made it clear that if you weren’t going to abide by him, you were going to find out the hard way. I think Tennessee needed that a lot. I think he got the team on the right path.

Year 1 and Year 2 were a great testament to what he’s going to do and what he has been doing and it’ll only get better.

When’s a time you saw him do something that showed you why his former players loved him so much?

I knew my team. When we were playing, I knew the different groups of guys. I knew the slackers. I knew the overbearers, the underbearers. I knew my team. We were trying to do what we can, but when Coach Pruitt came and saw what we saw, he nipped it in the bud. He cut everything off and it got people on track.

That’s when I was like, “OK, he don’t play no ****.”

What do you mean when you say he “cut everything off?”

Like he would come into a meeting room and everybody would be laughing, having a good time before meetings. Everybody’s coming in after class or whatever, talking about their day, laughing and he’ll come in and just be like, “Everybody shut the **** up!” Over something small.

And I was like, if he’s trippin’ over something small, that’s how you know you’ve got a good coach. That’s how you know he cares and wants it to be perfect. Because if you let things go that are small, it’ll grow into something bigger. And you’ll just keep letting it go like a domino effect.

But he came in there and took over something small and I was like, “Oh yeah, this is the guy.”

This senior class, a lot of you played key roles with two programs with different staffs. How would you describe the program Butch Jones ran?

I think Coach Jones coached with a different style. A lot of guys question his style, but to me, I think I had a better relationship with Coach Jones than I did with Coach Pruitt, just because Coach Jones was an offensive coach. He always spent time on the offensive side, as any coach would.

Coach Pruitt is a defensive coach, so he spends most of his time with the defense. There’s nothing wrong with that. It completely makes sense to me. If I was a head coach, I would spend most of my time with the receivers. That’s just how it is. So when Coach Jones was there, he was the receivers coach and spent a lot of time with us and the quarterbacks, so I feel like a lot of defensive guys didn’t connect with him because of him doing that. But I think a lot of offensive guys like myself, I’m only speaking for myself, I can’t speak for everyone else, but I know I connected more with Coach Jones just because he was over there more than Coach Pruitt was.

What do you mean when you say he had a “different style?”

His style was offensive-minded so he spent a lot of time with the offense. He’d come in the receivers room and tell us how it should be run, and I think he was more for us trying to throw the ball a little more.

It’s been more than two years. You’ve had some time to think about it and look back. What was that transition like, from the back half of 2017 to the search itself?

It was a crazy time. People from home, friends and family would ask like, “What’s gonna happen?” I’d be like, “I have no idea. If I know, I’m going to find out on the TV like y’all are gonna find out.”

All those questions. “What are y’all gonna do?” “What’s gonna happen?” “Have y’all found a coach yet?”

I’d just be like, “Nah, I don’t know anything.” Just being able to trust the process and knowing that the school, the AD, everybody was working together to try and find the best fit for us.

I remember they tried to hire a coach and the fans were not having it. That shows you the power the fans and students have on the school. A lot of schools would have been like, “We’re hiring this guy. So be it, whether you like it or not.”

But the school having the fans and people voice their opinion and have them listen, it shows a lot of people that the school listens to the students and did what they wanted to do. I was impressed by that. You don’t always get that, so I was impressed with that.

What was your favorite catch at Tennessee?

Probably my first touchdown. It was in that dome in Georgia. I’m a Georgia boy. I scored my first receiving touchdown in Georgia in front of my family. That had to be my favorite one. The rest were just cookies on the cake.

When did you get a real sense of the kind of guy he was going to be as a head coach?

Our first meeting with him. I remember when he was hired, we were all away on break. I was driving back and stopped in Atlanta to see a friend. We were watching TV and it came on and said Tennessee had hired Jeremy Pruitt.

I was like, “Oh, wow! We got an Alabama coach.” And my friend was telling me about him. He was like, he’s a defensive coach. He’s a DBs coach. You start putting it together and are like, “He’s gotta be technique-sound then.” Things like that. And my friend was like he’s a hardbody now, I think this is gonna be a good fit, because he ain’t gonna play no ****.

I was like, “Really? OK.” I could see that. You know, Alabama, a powerhouse. You’d imagine all their coaches would be like that. So you put together little stereotypes like that.

So I think he got there and I wasn’t there for the first meeting. Only a few people still at school had a meeting. It wasn’t like mandatory, it was just for whoever was around. But the first mandatory meeting, I don’t think he smiled once.

He was just like, “All right, um, I’m Jeremy Pruitt. I look forward to working with you all.” That’s what you’d think a regular introduction would be.

But we were there for like 40 minutes and he was just going on and on. And I don’t think he cracked a smile, so I was like, “Oooh, this gonna be a tough year.”

But then as the year went on and things started going, I was like, “Wow, it’s definitely what my friend said. He don’t play no ****.” He was definitely what I expected him to be like.

So what’s he talking about for 40 minutes?

Man, everything. His background and all the stuff he does. Where he came from. He talked about how he remembered growing up that Tennessee used to be all this and all that and how we were going to get back.

People were just sitting and listening. But I’m telling you, I don’t think he cracked a smile once the entire time he was talking. But that’s basically what he was saying, how things were going to change. He was like, “Some of you are not gonna like me, and that’s OK.” Things like that.
Where is Tennessee’s program in five years?

I’ll be back to a game every season starting this year. But I feel like they’re going to take off. It can only get better. Coach Pruitt and his staff have done a great job. They did a great job with us that first year and then the second year. What do they say, the third time’s the charm? I feel like Tennessee really is going to keep growing and adding to what they already have.

-Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back