Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is why some folks took exception with the bill. We should definitely be helping people maintain through this crisis, but we shouldn't be encouraging people to take advantage of the system.

I for one appreciate that when I do sneak out to the grocery store there's still stuff there. So, for what it's worth, thank you.

Yessir! Appreciate it.

SO i was coming back from my run today at Edgemoor and Melton Lake in Oak Ridge and cop stops me and says there is an ongoing investigation. I wait for about 10 minutes then another cop asks for my info and there are cops everywhere. He tells me its a homicide and that after giving my info I could leave. Well my car is blocked by fire trucks and cop cars so I call my wife to come get me. She had decided to take a nap so I walked back home for three hours. She woke up when I was on Oak Ridge turnpike and picked me up. Interested to see what they say about the murder on the news.
They found a deceased newborn on the Melton Hill greenway.

And this is why some folks took exception with the bill. We should definitely be helping people maintain through this crisis, but we shouldn't be encouraging people to take advantage of the system.

I for one appreciate that when I do sneak out to the grocery store there's still stuff there. So, for what it's worth, thank you.
At the beginning most customers were pretty inconsiderate. Since shopping has been less stressful for them most have been thankful the past few days.

At the beginning most customers were pretty inconsiderate. Since shopping has been less stressful for them most have been thankful the past few days.
My department manager who is very nice and and in his 60s got cussed out for closing at 8pm last night even though we have been doing it for a few weeks now

for all of you still wasting our time comparing covid19 to the flu, there's only one statistic that matters.
Covid-19 puts roughly 20% of its victims in the hospital. The flu doesn't come anywhere close to that. As hospitals become overrun, because they generally operate at 70-80% capacity during a normal time, the death rate increases because of delays or outright lack of care. That doesn't even consider the ancillary effect it has on people suffering the common tragedies that lead to hospital care (heart attack, stroke, cancer). It's not a conspiracy or a political misdirection. Just read any report from a NY hospital over the last day or two. We in TN and AL are just behind the curve a week or two. I'm not even a religious person, and I've been praying every night.

Yes, the numbers right now for covid-19 pale in comparison to the flu, but just wait, this is just getting started. From the availability of legitimate information, it's only been operating in the US for a month or so. Give it 12 months, and come back to me talking about how it isn't as bad as the flu.

America has been prosperous for too long. The "Greatest Generation" was what they were in large part due to living through the Great Depression. While I am not a fan of death and economic distress, this crisis may give us a chance to rediscover a little bit of what made them great. If so, we may all become a little more thankful that the store has stuff to buy.

These doctors use some questionable case studies and leaps in logic. For instance, the original study of the Italian city (where the first Italian death was and had been spreading for who knows how long) said 50-70% were asymptomatic. They take that city (which was basically a petri dish with 0 measures being taken), extrapolate its "prevalence" to an entire region and compare that rate to its reported numbers (ignoring sympto vs asympto and who would have been tested), and voila - say that actual numbers are 130(!) times higher than reported. Uhh what?

Doctors are doctors, doesn't make them researchers or statisticians.

Most would figure the true cases to be significantly higher than what we know. Maybe it's double, triple, quadruple, even up to 10x. But 130x is pretty farfetched, especially when arrived at using voodoo logic.
I agree, but again that’s precisely the type of calculating people (note I didn’t say experts, whoever that may be with this) have been doing to come up with numbers like 2 or 2.2 million Americans dead.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
for all of you still wasting our time comparing covid19 to the flu, there's only one statistic that matters.
Covid-19 puts roughly 20% of its victims in the hospital. The flu doesn't come anywhere close to that. As hospitals become overrun, because they generally operate at 70-80% capacity during a normal time, the death rate increases because of delays or outright lack of care. That doesn't even consider the ancillary effect it has on people suffering the common tragedies that lead to hospital care (heart attack, stroke, cancer). It's not a conspiracy or a political misdirection. Just read any report from a NY hospital over the last day or two. We in TN and AL are just behind the curve a week or two. I'm not even a religious person, and I've been praying every night.

Yes, the numbers right now for covid-19 pale in comparison to the flu, but just wait, this is just getting started. From the availability of legitimate information, it's only been operating in the US for a month or so. Give it 12 months, and come back to me talking about how it isn't as bad as the flu.

I don't think Covid-19 is the flu. But it doesn't put 20% in the hospital either.

I feel that mentioning the phrase flatten the curve is a good reminder. There are a ton of unknowns with this thing, but flattening the curve is what us regular folks can do. Slow this thing down and give the medical systems a chance.

I fear New York's curve isn't going to be near flat enough. I just hope they are the anomaly and not the precursor. It keeps looking worse up there.

I agree, but again that’s precisely the type of calculating people (note I didn’t say experts, whoever that may be with this) have been doing to come up with numbers like 2 or 2.2 million Americans dead.

That's just herd immunity for a R0 of 3.5 and 1% mortality. It's reasonable to question those numbers, but they aren't randomly pulled out of someone's butt.

I feel that mentioning the phrase flatten the curve is a good reminder. There are a ton of unknowns with this thing, but flattening the curve is what us regular folks can do. Slow this thing down and give the medical systems a chance.

I fear New York's curve isn't going to be near flat enough. I just hope they are the anomaly and not the precursor. It keeps looking worse up there.
New Yorkers live on top of each other. Also their mode of transportation is subways. They have a ton of international flights and people were spreading it before they knew what was going on. It is hard for them to flatten the curve.

Let's hope that it works better in other places in the countries with less travel, more spaced out living, and automobiles as the main mode of transportation

New Yorkers live on top of each other. Also their mode of transportation is subways. They have a ton of international flights and people were spreading it before they knew what was going on. It is hard for them to flatten the curve.

Let's hope that it works better in other places in the countries with less travel, more spaced out living, and automobiles as the main mode of transportation
Why has Beijing and Tokyo been spared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back