Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are just saying they haven't done it, but that doesn't mean that can't do it. That's a good stance to take IMO.
I think in an ideal world, you hire someone with more experience at the OLB coaching position who could maybe help Nieds out until he gets up to speed. But Pruitt has an idea of what he wants, and that's fine. I just think it leaves us a bit vulnerable at the position as neither guy has actually proven themselves as great LB coaches yet. Doesn't mean I think they'll fail, but if they start out slow, that could hurt us as well. Especially considering the youth at the position.

he hasn't been anywhere long enought to build a body of work, at least consistently that is..... he's had some flashes and the stuff he's got on his resume so for is good. he did good work at Syracuse too.

would like to see what he might can do if he stuck around somewhere for more than a couple years........i think he's probably a pretty good hire and could be a good coach for an extended period of time......would probalby tell a lot about his recruiting skills as well if he stuck around for a bit.

anyway....he knows the conf. the guys that have hired him in the past are generally accepted as good to great defensive minds......so there's probably something there.

i have no anxiety at all about him as a coach. that comes later if we go backwards.

:) for now..................lettuce.
I would like to think that our defensive staff is pretty well set now. Neids isn't going anywhere. Felton won't be going anywhere soon unless he's terrible or amazing. Same for Baugh. Ansley is likely here until he gets a HC opportunity.

But it should definitely be noted that if Pruitt's defenses continue to improve and are steady at the tops in CFB, that our assistants are going to started getting poached more and more often. Its just the state of CFB these days. You don't see many staffs sticking together long term. Dabo has everyone drinking the kool-aid. Maybe Pruitt sees this group of guys as having that sort of connection and loyalty? That would be nice.

This is true, but also we have 2 coaches that are considered 2 of the best DC's (Pruitt/Ansley) overseeing them.
True, but both of those guys are known more for their work with DBs than LBs. I think it will ultimately work out, but it's not without worry. And like I said previously, expect a lot of youth at the LB position.

Reactions: Volinmem
I’m going after @Rishvol. Preemptive strike. He’s got it in for me
giphy.gif

I'm only comfortable because Pruitt is comfortable and it's on the defensive side of the ball. The replacements were so quick and I truly don't believe they have room to screw up.

Ron mentioned us not being familiar and I agree with that also. TBH, anyone not familiar with Osovet would be like, "huh?" But the main difference is we were familiar.

But I do agree that ultimately, we're just going to have to see. Nothing is proven.
I agree on the familiarity. I think most here would've been plenty excited if Kevin Simon got the bump instead of Felton. All based off familiarity.

I'm sure he wasn't unsure of Tyson Helton either. How'd that work out? It's easy to just defend every move the coach makes, I usually do that also. But it is also fair to note that these are risky hires as neither have experience at this level. Especially Felton. And DL and OLB are extremely important positions.

Important and stocked with talent👀

My biggest concern would be Felton. You move Nieds to ILB and you hire this guy for OLB, that's not a lot of experience at actually coaching LBs. And that's not a swipe at either guy, just a plain truth.
Felton’s been coaching linebackers for 15 years...ACTUAL coaching. Niedermeyer coached linebackers under Pruitt at UGA and Bama as a GA. You can quibble over levels of play and what’s involved in GA’s coaching, but they didn’t pull these guys out of women’s basketball.

Just to clarify, we haven’t actually hired anyone yet, have we? Long, Brumbaugh, and Felton are all still just based on reports, correct?
I think you are correct.

I wouldn't expect to see an announcement from UT about Brum until next week. Someone posted that he will owe Colorado 100k if he leaves them before this Friday.

I agree on the familiarity. I think most here would've been plenty excited if Kevin Simon got the bump instead of Felton. All based off familiarity.
I remember seeing Shelton Feltons name many times mentioned by recruits coming off visits when he was here. I’m betting that he’s a grinder and will recruit his tail off, which is likely a major factor in Pruitt hiring him.

I would like to think that our defensive staff is pretty well set now. Neids isn't going anywhere. Felton won't be going anywhere soon unless he's terrible or amazing. Same for Baugh. Ansley is likely here until he gets a HC opportunity.

But it should definitely be noted that if Pruitt's defenses continue to improve and are steady at the tops in CFB, that our assistants are going to started getting poached more and more often. Its just the state of CFB these days. You don't see many staffs sticking together long term. Dabo has everyone drinking the kool-aid. Maybe Pruitt sees this group of guys as having that sort of connection and loyalty? That would be nice.
it would be. but there's still guys in support roles that will get a shot at some point i would think...Kevin Simon maybe?

anyway...yeah, this is how CFB is today. but this group could certainly be together for a few years as it's currently constructed. we'll see.

Reactions: Smokeytom
Felton’s been coaching linebackers for 15 years...ACTUAL coaching. Niedermeyer coached linebackers under Pruitt at UGA and Bama as a GA. You can quibble over levels of play and what’s involved in GA’s coaching, but they didn’t pull these guys out of women’s basketball.
And I didn't say they did, but level of play is important. Saying it isn't is dumb, and I don't think you're a dumb person. It matters. And I'm not expecting failure, just showing concern. I think it will work out, but how fast it works out also matters.

And I didn't say they did, but level of play is important. Saying it isn't is dumb, and I don't think you're a dumb person. It matters. And I'm not expecting failure, just showing concern. I think it will work out, but how fast it works out also matters.
But “actually coaching” was what I responding to.

Reactions: jakez4ut

It's like any of our own professions, I'd imagine. There's those known names (or at least companies) and that person is likely to be a solid hire.

Then there's guys who you or me could recommend. No, there not proven at a big company but we've worked with them before and we know what they're capable of.

This has that feel, I guess.
That or we're about to crash and burn, baby! I'm here regardless.

was getting ready to say the same thing...especially in felton's case. he's just not done it on the field in the SEC, but he's been doing it....for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back