Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Johnson has been fine on field coach but seems like not aggressive enough in recruiting. Just plays too nice and being everyone’s buddy. On field I don’t really put much into WRs improving once he left as WRs looked fine last yr but opportunities were limited due to QB and OL and a premature OC. I think WRs would do same thing regardless of Yac/Tee coaching them this year. Not sure can put all Rb stuff on him. Screens sucking is more JG can’t throw a swing pass if his life depended on it. QBs calling wrong side of play at times during that musical chairs. Not exactly the best fits for the Chaney system in that room and at times not sure they have been giving very many chances some games.
I like him but he is replaceable especially with guys Pruitt can add like graham, McClendon, osovet who are better more aggressive recruiters

Is David Johnson the reason the 3 Memphis Linebackers are headed to Tennessee? Would they be coming here regardless (now that we are LETTING them btw)?

He closes the deal on Omari Thomas? That will be well done imo.
Johnson kept them on the line long enough for Pruitt go in and watch them play live and then offered McDonald. Technically Pruitt closed the deal, but Johnson was the lead. Would they have came anyway, who knows? But Johnsons name comes up in every recruits interview from Memphis.

Luke should have gotten one more year
Curious as to why you say this. He has gotten 1 loss worse each year. 6-6 to 5-7 to 4-8. It's not like he was an outside candidate, he had been at Ole Miss since 2012. Hell, he was the OC....so things should have transitioned smoothly for him.

If they did a French silent movie where all he did was stare into a black&white koi pond, you’d adore him.

Last time I liked a baby in film it was trainspotting.

SomberAgonizingBillygoat-size_restricted.gif

During the preseason I was preaching that in order for us to win more games this year than 2018 I thought our defense needed to improve a significant amount. I wasn’t all that worried about the expected improvement in our offense. Oops.

Early in the season, when damage control was the order of the day, Pruitt declared that we were 100 times better than last year, to which, I and many others replied, “Say what?” It has been reported that even Fulmer had some fun with Pruitt in the aftermath of that remark.

Well, with respect to national rankings, it turns out that the defense did improve, not so much the offense, and we did win more games. While we weren’t exactly 100 times better, at least on defense we were more than 100% improved in multiple broad statistical metrics.

Probably the biggest concern anyone had for the defense coming into this year was the loss of Kyle Phillips, Shy Tuttle, and Alexis Johnson up front. It turns out our 2nd year in Pruitt’s system was eventually more than enough to offset those significant losses, just as I now suspect having the same offensive coordinator/system in back to back years for the first time since 2016 could likely do wonders for our offense next year, even after losing significant contributors from this year’s team. jmo.

I realize our pass defense didn't have to face Will Grier, Drew Lock, or Kyle Shurmur this year but even if we had I think we would have done a hell of a lot better than we did in 2018. jmo.

View attachment 242603

Falls in line with what I was saying a few weeks back...

Our Positional coaches, specifically Rocker, Rumph, and Sherrer, have earned their paychecks this year. I'm not concerned too much with their lack of recruiting as much as others are on here--they've improved their respective positions and players enough that their lack of recruiting prowess is neutralized. I've said it before, I'll ride with guys like that year-in-year-out, so long as they continue to coach up the players we sign. Once they start putting 2 and 3 star players in the NFL, recruits will start to notice and want to come here, regardless of their ability (or lack thereof) on the recruiting trail.

"You wanna play in the league? Go play for Tracy Rocker, Chris Rumph, or Kevin Sherrer."

Elite players know which coaches get you paid.

Last edited:
Falls in line with what I was saying a few weeks back...

Our Positional coaches, specifically Rocker, Rumph, and Sherrer, have earned their paychecks this year. I'm not concerned too much with their lack of recruiting as much as others are on here--they've improved their respective positions and players enough that their lack of recruiting prowess is neutralized. I've said it before, I'll ride with guys like that year-in-year-out, so long as they continue to coach up the players we sign. Once they start putting 2 and 3 star players in the NFL, recruits will start to notice and want to come here, regardless of their ability (or lack thereof) on the recruiting trail.

"You wanna play in the league? Go play for Tracy Rocker, Chris Rumph, or Kevin Sherrer."

Elite players know which coaches get you paid.

I feel like someone comes after sherrer and then we go after Tosh.just me though👀🤷🏽‍♂️ A lot of openings here lately.

Especially with a down A&M, Ark, MSU in the west. And then Vandy is their permanent cross-divisional team?

Gotta win more than that.

4 more games...so basically an NFL regular season. Ouch.
I think the only way you. Could do this is getting rid of conference championships which I'm against.

Going to 6 is what I think the next stage is. The 3 and 4 seed gets a home games against the 5 and 6 to determine who plays 1 and 2 in the bowl game format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back