Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t expect that to last. I’d imagine there will be at least 3-4 NFL teams making overtures to Riley this offseason. OU will have to bump him up to Saban/Swinney territory if they want to keep him.

You know that only a handful of NFL head coaches are making more than Riley is at OU right now, right?

South Carolina is 69th in total defense
55th in rushing defense giving up 146 ypg
90th in passing defense giving up 250.6 ypg.
That's against a buzzsaw schedule though. A dangerous NC team, Bama, uga, UF, and Mizzou. Those are some good offenses. They are a near mirror image to ourselves in many ways.

Same exact sacks/game, both have gained 13 TOs, .01 YPC difference in rushing allowed. Their pass defense allows a 127 qbr, 130 for us. Neither has been good on 3rd downs. Our total defense YPP allowed is a mere .07 from theirs. It's almost eerie how similar we have been overall.

Main difference I can see is in comparable matchups, they have fared a bit better. They gave up 70 yards less/game vs UGA and UF. They allowed about the same yards vs Bama, but afaik they faced Tua the whole game, so that is actually pretty impressive.

That said, cumulative stats can't measure trends and progress. Our defense has suddenly awakened these past few weeks and I'd put them toe to toe with USC's right now.

It's not about things from the past being ok or not. It's about moving forward. Glad Pruitt and this team are able to. You'll be ok too.
Yes and No.

I've changed my avi back from:
77569.jpg
And my "custom title" back to the original from: "The SEC is rigged."

But I still can't get over that feeling that a 6-year-old has when confronted with the discovery that pro wrestling is not real.

That was the worst and most obvious rigging I have ever seen in sports. I think pro wrestling pulls it off better.

Last edited:
You know that only a handful of NFL head coaches are making more than Riley is at OU right now, right?

From available numbers, there are at least 9 NFL coaches making as much or more than Riley, and if guys like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones are bidding on him, I expect he'd get in that club if he wants it. If you are an owner of a moribund franchise like the Redskins, Falcons or Dolphins, don't you think a name like Lincoln Riley would generate more fan enthusiasm than some retread failure like an Adam Gase or Fritz Shurmur, or a no name assistant like Zac Taylor?

Plus, even if he stays at OU, he's going to point to those college numbers and say he should be making more than guys like Brohm or Herman.

Chandler rarely gets tough yards except for one play against Bama which was a great run. Forced a hole on his own on that play. Maybe someone can post the video.
Rewatched that play yesterday. Made me think of all that 4.3 talk. Not downing Chandler, hell he didn't post it or anything, but if he's 4.3 then Bama DBs must be 4.2 guys (they're not). Because on that same play I saw tall #15 halfass run Chandler down. Same guy that beat Jordan to the edge when he got to the 2 or so yard line in the 4th and kept him out of the end zone.

We hung so well with them, but that speed still made game saving tackles for them. We need just a handful of those type guys at RB, WR, DB and man we can match or even beat the damn gumps.

You won’t be the only one. Basilio was getting pounded on calls and twitter because he said JG is starting and we should at least support the guy despite our misgivings. I think fans are at the point where we’d rather lose by 40 behind Shrout or Jennings instead of losing by 25 behind JG.

Fans were also saying that Pruitt will lose what little equity he has built if JG starts Saturday. It’s a bad situation all around.
Personally, I would rather win by 40, but I will take a 25 point win also.

Reactions: Jack Burton
I wouldn’t expect that to last. I’d imagine there will be at least 3-4 NFL teams making overtures to Riley this offseason. OU will have to bump him up to Saban/Swinney territory if they want to keep him.
Agree. Wish the jets hired him instead of gase. I would keep my eye on the cowboys if they don’t finish well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back