Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always thought AJ Johnson was a really good linebacker. I figured Coleman would fade into obscurity after college but so happy for him. Thought he was a good college player.

One of the best run stoppers we’ve had come through the university but was horrible in pass coverage.wasnt fast either

Last edited:
The last of my Neyland - Bama historical entries.....GBO beat the hell out of them!!

GENERAL ROBERT R. NEYLAND’S GREATEST PLOY

In 1928 a then young Neyland challenged national powerhouse Alabama (winner of the 1925 and 1926 Rose Bowl) to meet his unheralded Vols in Tuscaloosa. In the greatest (and perhaps first) opponent psych –out move ever , Neyland went to the Tide locker room minutes before the game and in full earshot of the Alabama players told coach Wallace Wade that the game would be a rout .He suggested that in order to hold down the score, that the last two quarters be shortened. Wade replied that Alabama did not plan on running up a big score , but agreed to shorten the last half if Alabama’s lead justified it
( just imagine the instant loss of mental edge by the Alabama players) .
Minutes later, Volunteer halfback Gene McEver returned the opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. The Tide trailed at halftime, Tennessee never lost the lead and won the game 15-13. [ adapted from THROUGH THE YEARS WITH THE VOLUNTEERS by Tom Siler ]

I’m more and more convinced there are only a few select coaches in existence that can sustain success. Stanford and mich state were two places I used to think had that
I think Stanford has a ceiling with its academic standards. They have just so happened to have back to back great coaches. Shaw should’ve left a couple years ago when the NFL was calling.

The last of my Neyland - Bama historical entries.....GBO beat the hell out of them!!

GENERAL ROBERT R. NEYLAND’S GREATEST PLOY

In 1928 a then young Neyland challenged national powerhouse Alabama (winner of the 1925 and 1926 Rose Bowl) to meet his unheralded Vols in Tuscaloosa. In the greatest (and perhaps first) opponent psych –out move ever , Neyland went to the Tide locker room minutes before the game and in full earshot of the Alabama players told coach Wallace Wade that the game would be a rout .He suggested that in order to hold down the score, that the last two quarters be shortened. Wade replied that Alabama did not plan on running up a big score , but agreed to shorten the last half if Alabama’s lead justified it
( just imagine the instant loss of mental edge by the Alabama players) .
Minutes later, Volunteer halfback Gene McEver returned the opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. The Tide trailed at halftime, Tennessee never lost the lead and won the game 15-13. [ adapted from THROUGH THE YEARS WITH THE VOLUNTEERS by Tom Siler ]
The General’s like, “Hold my water... ima head over and see what’s cooking in the Bama locker room.”
1571397571246.gif

Wicked Weed's new Cultura restaurant ain't cheap, but man some of the items are absolutely wonderful. Right beside their sours house, Funkatorium. Best served with a group of 4+ as they do 2-6 people 'Feast' entrees and fondue. Flipping the script on the tapas movement.

A bit barbaric for some, but I agree with you.

Check out Noble Ciders "The Greenhouse" for a meal if you get the chance. One of my favorite newer restaurants.

I hate running from a fight too, but it's hard not to think what the cumulative effect of an auto loss every year, for 10-15 years, means to this program. How many 5-7 seasons could have been bowl games, 15 more practices, and better recruiting?

Think of Clemson's build had they been handed an autoloss every year while building up. No ACC titles. Stifled recruiting. Etc.

Fact is we will be a better program without it. Can we handle the ego part of that? Would anyone outside UT/Bama even notice? Does it happen and Saban immediately leaves and they go through a suck period anyway? Many questions, but I mostly see positives if we just suck up our pride. That said I absolutely don't see it happening without major conference restructuring. And Alabama and Saban will taper eventually. No team dominates 2+ decades.

I'm a traditionalist but I'll concede your point on post season (extra practices). Hard to complain about not making a bowl or our record, but still want to play them.

Flip side - Daniel Lincoln aims for the goal posts instead of Cody's belly? Or Dobbs holds on to the ball and makes one of his usual scrambles in 2015? Oh dayum.

The fact the fb gods refuse us the little nod and wink - lucky bounce when playing Bama or Fl...
I'm convinced Hamilton wrote contracts with Satan using the same strategy he used when writing them for head coaches.

Always thought AJ Johnson was a really good linebacker. I figured Coleman would fade into obscurity after college but so happy for him. Thought he was a good college player.
I’ve followed AJ on IG since he was at UT, and he never stopped grinding! He knew his chance would come eventually, and he made sure he would be ready! Amazing story!

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m not a Vol fan because of how many games they win or lose. It’s the local team. It means something to me to see that orange and white on the field. The traditions are engrained in me at this point.

For these reasons, I’m not running away from Alabama. Losing sucks but it’s not all about that. We play Alabama every year because we’ve always played Alabama every year.

No like the helmet. Cross bw clemson and houston.

But might make an exception if we were playing Tex.

Wat? See your just not a man of good taste or design. I have an eye for these things. I am greatly talented in these new horizon and new fads. I wish you were as cool as me. Its hard being this cool. Its a burden to carry. Ask Swanson he knows. :D

Reactions: Pane di mais
fb_future_game_at_alabama.jpg

OH CRAP!

Maurer wasn't the starter before October though.

View attachment 231996
Don't you just love reading these horror stories of all those who have been so abused on something they said. I mean who hasn't at one time said something and got roasted. Seems like I see 10 of these a day. I got "roasted" "abused" "torched" "waterboarded" etc ... etc...

Losing to SC means winning out, which means beating Mizzou, which easily handled SC. UT did win their last 4 in 2014 under Dobbs to get to bowl, included that wild finish against SOS and SC in Columbia. But I would much prefer not having to depend on upsetting Mizzou to become bowl eligible. But although I fully expect UT to get whipped Saturday, I want to see them play like they think they belong on the field with Bama and play physical and with an attitude. For the whole game. No matter the score. If so, then I will feel like they can beat SC.
Agreed, but worth considering here is we get a bye before Mizz while they get uga. I also think Mizz has their bye before uga so they'll be thinking all or nothing upset. All this could mean that Scar is actually the more difficult out than Mizz but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back