Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for the board...

Out of all the candidates being thrown around, who is the best BIG GAME coach IYO? With yearly games against Fla, bama, GA etc, the SEC games are like bowl games compared to other conferences. I really think we need a coach that has experience and understands the big stage and has proven he can compete and win those type of games.

Out of all are candidates who fits that mold the best?

Ranked in order using only that criteria:

Mora is 32-34 in the NFL, he probably understands big games more than anyone on the list. He is 3-2 against ranked teams in the NCAA with both losses being against a superior Stanford team.

Jimbo is 2-0 in bowl games, 2-1 against florida, and 3-5 against ranked teams with wins against Clemson, South Carolina and Notre Dame.

Gundy is 10 and 10 against ranked teams and 4-2 in bowl games.

Strong is 1-2 against ranked teams and 2-1 in bowl games.

Fedora fell off of my list recently.

I don't think the criteria we are using here is the most important as some coaches have a time line way too small to use this to extrapolate to the future. Strong is still top of my list, all things considered with Fisher/Mora tied for second.

I wouldn't turn him down, if others on the list became "un-gettable".

Something about him just doesn't excite me.

He's coached in the BCS, huge rivalry game every year, thats why I lean to guys like him, Strong, Fedora, guys who have some background in big games or at least have been involved with the SEC and have that perspective.

Ranked in order using only that criteria:

Mora is 32-34 in the NFL, he probably understands big games more than anyone on the list. He is 3-2 against ranked teams in the NCAA with both losses being against a superior Stanford team.

Jimbo is 2-0 in bowl games, 2-1 against florida, and 3-5 against ranked teams with wins against Clemson, South Carolina and Notre Dame.

Gundy is 10 and 10 against ranked teams and 4-2 in bowl games.

Strong is 1-2 against ranked teams and 2-1 in bowl games.

Fedora fell off of my list recently.

I don't think the criteria we are using here is the most important as some coaches have a time line way too small to use this to extrapolate to the future. Strong is still top of my list, all things considered with Fisher/Mora tied for second.

Good list, I do like Mora a lot, but like others have mentioned I would be skeptical depending on the contract, with our ability to keep him here for very long.

Seriously if those kids all jump on board with Strong he would instantly have a core to build a dominant defense around. From there it would just be filling gaps. Really getting excited about the possibilities..

Good list, I do like Mora a lot, but like others have mentioned I would be skeptical depending on the contract, with our ability to keep him here for very long.

Of the list I posted, based off of who Skeeter had said had mutual interest with UT I think that all of those guys would excite me, especially the top 3.

Mora does scare me with his west coast connections. Maybe though we, as UT fans, have something akin to battered spouse syndrome. We just always wait to be hurt by the next coach because our previous relationships went south quick?

created a quick and dirty blog post with a bit more details about each, if anyone is interested in the read:

If I bleed orange, I am bled out: The Coaching Search: an update

Forgive any slight errors or typos, I threw it together to organize my thoughts.

Last edited:
Seriously if those kids all jump on board with Strong he would instantly have a core to build a dominant defense around. From there it would just be filling gaps. Really getting excited about the possibilities..

If we hired Strong & he retained Graham/Pittman we could be in a great position moving forward. W/ Graham staying you likely land Green & possibly even Wilkins, w/ Pittman staying J. James may come back for his Sr. year along w/ adding Koehler to this class.

Adding Strong could help us land Ramsey, Bell, Hatcher.

Heck we could possibly even land North too.

Of the list I posted, based off of who Skeeter had said had mutual interest with UT I think that all of those guys would excite me, especially the top 3.

Mora does scare me with his west coast connections. Maybe though we, as UT fans, have something akin to battered spouse syndrome. We just always wait to be hurt by the next coach because our previous relationships went south quick?

Probably justified in the case of Mora. Like someone posted in that scenario earlier, if Kiffin is gone and Sark takes over then Wash is left open...perfect storm I know, but its definitely a possibility.

Probably justified in the case of Mora. Like someone posted in that scenario earlier, if Kiffin is gone and Sark takes over then Wash is left open...perfect storm I know, but its definitely a possibility.

I am just thinking out loud here, but maybe the contract could be written in such a way that there is a buyout of one grade for him leaving or being terminated for a certain tier of jobs, a second level (higher) buy out if he goes to the NFL, and perhaps a HUGE buyout if he leaves to go to any PAC 12 school?

I am just thinking out loud here, but maybe the contract could be written in such a way that there is a buyout of one grade for him leaving or being terminated for a certain tier of jobs, a second level (higher) buy out if he goes to the NFL, and perhaps a HUGE buyout if he leaves to go to any PAC 12 school?

Makes sense to me, but thats something I know literally zero about. I have to echo what many have been saying tho, the talent pool that we are currently fishing in seems to be drastically upgraded from the last search. Thats a positive. I'm almost more interested in seeing what the make up of coord and assts looks like to be honest.

created a quick and dirty blog post with a bit more details about each, if anyone is interested in the read:

If I bleed orange, I am bled out: The Coaching Search: an update

Forgive any slight errors or typos, I threw it together to organize my thoughts.

in the case of mora jr if he wanted the job then you put a huge buyout in the contract if he takes another job that would give tenn a lot of money if he leaves

Here is the best info I've been able to rundown this morning. I'll try to highlight areas where I'm pretty certain of solid information and where it's more rumor/innuendo (as there is a lot of that to be had at the moment).

It is looking apparent that a Tennessee contingent flew to Stillwater yesterday to meet with Gundy. They arrived around 10 AM and stayed for several hours. Whether it was a formal interview or an informal "get to know you" type of talk, I don't know. It was at his house.

I have heard - from a guy with connections, but it's still a couple of steps away from being a direct source - that Gundy is Tennessee's top target and the dollar figure would be in the 4-5 million/year range.

The word is that Arkansas is interviewing him today. That's rumor at this point, but I would say it will likely turn out to be correct. He's also supposedly their top target.

What does all of this mean? That's the $64 million dollar question. And I think if someone is telling you they know Gundy's motives for talking to other schools, or that he definitely will or will not leave, they're outright guessing. At this time I would speculate that only Mike, his wife, his agent and probably his dad really know what his thought process is.

Based on a personal conversation awhile back, I would be very surprised if Gundy were to take a job at an SEC school. I've been surprised in coaching carousel stuff plenty of times before, so I certainly won't say "never." Still, it would be a shocking surprise.

Who are some potential candidates if Gundy does leave his "New York Yankees job?" I think it is still too early for that. That said, some former and current coaches could be on the list if it comes to that. Larry Fedora would get a call gauging interest for sure. I think Todd Monken would get a look. Joe Wickline is another possible candidate on the current staff, but I still don't believe Joe has any desire to be a head coach. If he does, he'd get a look.

At this point I don't think there is much solid information available at this time, other than that UT met with Gundy yesterday. I do expect that more solid information is about to start flowing. Both UT and Arkansas are motivated to get a coach in place. Whatever the outcome, I don't expect this madness will last very long on the OSU side (unless of course he leaves, then OSU becomes the major player).
- Oklahoma State Mods

Dave Hart is out of his d*** mind if he pays Gundy $4-5 million dollars.

Apparently, there is a team meeting at Oklahoma State today around 2:45pm or so. It's going to get talked about on Twitter and everywhere else.

It's a meeting that has been planned so I wouldn't read anything into the fact that they are meeting because I'm told it has been on the docket for a while.

We are going to keep on keep digging along.

-Hubbs

in the case of mora jr if he wanted the job then you put a huge buyout in the contract if he takes another job that would give tenn a lot of money if he leaves

I still think that is why Mora is a huge question mark. I don't think its the money, I think its the stability Hart is looking for. The last thing needed right now is a great hire that just bounces the next year, leaving us here again. Probably explains why some of the candidates on the list are older (60's etc) and the younger ones like Gundy are in play for so much damn money. Gotta get a good one here and then just as important, gotta keep him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back