Recruiting Forum: Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumors in Fla about Gruden are all over the place..a "source" stated that Cal is going to fire Tedford and Gruden is the top target for job. Source goes on to say that Gruden would listen because he's been told that a NFL team would be in La by the 2015 season and he wants to be the new coach of new LA team. Other rumor today has Kiffin being out if he doesn't win out this season.

Gotta love the Nov coaching rumors!!!

I understand that you're just passing this along :hi:, but Cal is around 400 miles and 6+ merciless hours on I-5 away from LA, so being at Cal doesn't necessarily link up with some future at LA, or predict that a future employer will love you.

It's about the same distance as Knoxville and Memphis, and about the same cultural divide. NoCal hates SoCal and vice versa. (They take all our water!! :))

I started saying it to a few friends right after the UGA game, this team is likely the most talented since 2006 & that team finished 9-4. W/ better coaching we could be at least 8-2 right now IMO. Unbelievable what this staff has wasted.

The primary problem has been Sal's defense, not coaching as a whole, although I have to lay the Mizzou loss on Dooley for playing "not to lose" and over-thinking the situation at the end of regulation. I really think he was playing scared, and by trying too hard to save his job he lost it.

In naming potential NFL players, I'm surprised no one mentioned Sentimore. With another year to elevate his play I believe he has an excellent shot at playing on Sundays.

mlsoft

I started saying it to a few friends right after the UGA game, this team is likely the most talented since 2006 & that team finished 9-4. W/ better coaching we could be at least 8-2 right now IMO. Unbelievable what this staff has wasted.

I agree. I actually have become more impressed with the talent we have as the season has worn on. The O Line has far exceeded my expectations, the D-Line is very solid (although they aren't world-beaters by any stretch). We have solid talent at linebacker and the secondary seems to have a bright future, once Randolph is back and Bonner and Gray get plugged in. On offense, Neal has played better than I thought and I wouldn't be surprised if he was picked up by an NFL team as a free agent.

It really is just a waste of talent. The team needed to learn how to win, that was always going to be an issue. But they didn't have a coach who could teach them how to win, because our coach had never won.

I can't even imagine what Petrino or Spurrier would have done with this squad.

The primary problem has been Sal's defense, not coaching as a whole, although I have to lay the Mizzou loss on Dooley for playing "not to lose" and over-thinking the situation at the end of regulation. I really think he was playing scared, and by trying too hard to save his job he lost it.

In naming potential NFL players, I'm surprised no one mentioned Sentimore. With another year to elevate his play I believe he has an excellent shot at playing on Sundays.

mlsoft

You're right. The problems start with Sal's defense, no question.

But I also think this teams lacks the swagger needed to win. A different coach could have provided that. We can hang with anyone, but we just don't have the killer instinct to go out a blow teams out of the water.

We should have blown Mizzou off the field last week, no question in my mind. A different coach and that's a 52-21 ballgame.

Sure, that always happens when a new staff comes in and evaluates the current commits and decides whether or not they fit their systems. No one is mentioning the possibility of keeping Hinshaw, but I think it's a mistake not to. The man has brought in some good talent, and Harris has said that if Hinshaw goes, then he's probably gone.

I hope that whatever else happens to our current staff, we keep coaches Pittman and Graham. While acknowledging that he had a lot of talent to work with, Pittman worked wonders with the O-Line this year, and Graham both made significant improvements with our RBs and is a hoss on the recruiting trail. Graham also has UT in his blood -- he bleedeth orange.

I would like to see even more ex-UT players on the staff, if they are also top notch coaches. Does anyone here know if Dale Jones is doing a good job as a DC at Appy State?? Is he ready for SEC level ball?? Would he have any interest in "coming home" Loved the guy when he played here (NH).

My only question about the "Gruden to UT" rumors is that it is hard for me to believe that he or any big name coach would come here before the situation with the academic/Athletic Dept is straightened out. Question for Skeeter or Larry or anyone else who might know: Could Haslam solve those problems rapidly if a big time hire depended on it??

mlsoft

As unpopular as it may be. I hope that they offer the job to Cutcliffe if Gruden turns it down. The guy isn't a bad coach at all and if he fills in his staff with recruiters he won't have to recruit himself, his only real weakness. Maybe he could bring Chavis home as well. I'd rather have a guy with ties to UT that views this as his dream job.

As unpopular as it may be. I hope that they offer the job to Cutcliffe if Gruden turns it down. The guy isn't a bad coach at all and if he fills in his staff with recruiters he won't have to recruit himself, his only real weakness. Maybe he could bring Chavis home as well. I'd rather have a guy with ties to UT that views this as his dream job.

Chavis and Cut didn't really like each other. Respect - yes, but not close enough to work for him.

I think Manny Diaz is a good young coach and has done good things at MTSU, Miss St. & Texas. However not sure I would be in favor of bringing him to UT

Yeah he has done a good job in the past but he took a step back this year with the way his defense is playing. UT can definitely do alot better than him. I know alot of people want Gruden but a proven college coach would be the best route to take for this situation, imo. If they do bring in a NFL guy, coaches like Butch Davis and Roon Zook need to be on the staff. UT has enough money to pay them all.

Lol. Bray needs to be more careful with his words.

Specifically, he insists he’s not worried about whether he’s ready to move on to the NFL after this year.

“I could care less,” Bray said following the Vols’ practice Tuesday morning. “That’s what you guys are paid to write about and talk about. I’m paid to win football games.”

Bray’s comments raised a few eyebrows before he was asked to clarify.

“Well, my education — that’s what the SEC likes to call getting paid,” he said.

The Jon Gruden rumors are interesting, but Gruden could take an NFL job any year he wants for more money without having to recruit so the Dallas Cowboys or Philadelphia Eagles seem more likely than the Vols.

I still think the Phillip Fulmer firing was a joke and was a knee-jerk reaction after the 2008 season. It will take a big-time hire for the Vols to get back on track despite great facilities, an amazing tradition and great fans.

With the right hire, and Gruden would be that guy no doubt, recruiting could explode, but right now the top five recruits in the state of Tennessee are heading out of state and Vanderbilt is higher in the recruiting rankings.

Rivals

Last edited:
Dooley said Monday that Bray “didn’t get the signal we were going for it” on the fourth-down play Saturday against Missouri when he instead quick-kicked to try to pin Missouri deep on its own end of the field.

Bray admitted he “just wasn’t really paying attention.”

“I didn’t think we were going to go for it on fourth-and-7,” he said

C'mon man.

SCtiger, lol, you do realize your probably shouldn't post entire articles from pay-sites, right?

You are probably correct. I do only post after its listed in NEWS on AU site, which means it is available to all Rivals sites.

Besides, I like you guys better than Rivals anyway!:hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
So it is midway point of November and we don't have a single RB commit. Smh. Just have to laugh at this staff at this point. Laugh at the fact that they wouldn't take Turman early on and now he is a dawg. Serves em right IMO. Bunch of idiots.

You are probably correct. I do only post after its listed in NEWS on AU site, which means it is available to all Rivals sites.

Gotcha. Just trying to look-out. If you're saying it's posted as "non-premium" or "non-pay" information, then yea, it's totally fine.

I don't know how other Rivals/247 sites are, but our 247 site is pretty strict about posting pay info.

If Strong ends up at UT he could possibly bring in the following players this class: Quick, White, Ramsey, Bell, Hatcher, retain Miles, retain Carr, Green, and North. That would make yours truly very happy.

Reactions: 4 people
If Strong ends up at UT he could possibly bring in the following players this class: Quick, White, Ramsey, Bell, Hatcher, retain Miles, retain Carr, Green, and North. That would make yours truly very happy.

I want Strong ...

No homo. :unsure:

Gotcha. Just trying to look-out. If you're saying it's posted as "non-premium" or "non-pay" information, then yea, it's totally fine.

I don't know how other Rivals/247 sites are, but our 247 site is pretty strict about posting pay info.
It's against VN rules.

Still worry that he is winning in the worst conference in college football and it will translate. He does know SEC recruiting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back