Recruiting Football Talk VII

February 24, 1942
"The Battle of Los Angeles"

The attack started at 7:18 p.m. on February 24, 1942, when a “yellow” alert was sounded after the radar detectors picked up unidentified objects flying less than 100 miles from Los Angeles.

By 10.33 p.m., the threat became real, and an all-city blackout order was given over Los Angeles. The battle was on.

By 2:30 a.m., sirens started blasting across the city as the bewildered Los Angeles citizens awoke to utter blackness, large searchlights scanning the sky, and the thunderous roar of anti-aircraft guns exploding across the night sky.

At 3:00 a.m., the unidentified object or objects were reported to be just off the coast of Santa Monica. Anti-aircraft units were given permission to fire on sight. At 3:07 a.m., anti-aircraft units in Santa Monica, reporting the sighting of enemy aircraft, began firing into the sky. Shortly thereafter, anti-aircraft units across the Los Angeles area joined in firing into sky. In addition to sweeping searchlights, orange tracer shells began streaming into the night sky across the city.

Fear and panic quickly spread throughout the city. As smoke from exploding shells began collecting in the sky, civilians and army gunners both reported sightings of enemy aircraft, falling bombs and Japanese paratroopers. A report came in claiming that a Japanese aircraft had crashed in Hollywood. Frightened drivers, speeding through darkened streets, collided with one another, resulting in three traffic fatalities. As many as three other persons were reported to have died from fatal heart attacks.

By daylight, however, no Japanese ships lay off the coast, no downed enemy aircraft were found and no enemy bomb damage was reported. Confused and embarrassed authorities, with no explanation for the morning’s events, focused instead on arresting 20 Japanese-Americans for allegedly trying to signal the mysterious enemy aircraft.

Within days, the U.S. Secretary of the Navy, Frank Knox, admitted that the whole incident to have been a mistake. The U.S. Secretary of War, Henry Stimson, however, stated that 15 enemy aircraft had appeared over Los Angeles. Stimson later retreated from that position.

So, what did military gunners actually shoot at? Explanations for what had spooked gunners ranged from a false alarm to meteorological balloons to UFOs. An official investigation, however, could not clearly determine the exact cause. The incident turned out to be the only serious military action to occur over a continental U.S. metropolitan area during World War II.

Many years later, in 1983, the Office of Air Force History, after conducting their own study of the 1942 events,* concluded that U.S. military defenses in California were already nervously poised for action, partly due to the attack from the Japanese submarine off the coast of Santa Barbara. The office also noted that meteorological balloons had been released prior to the incident that, with attached lights and their silvery color, may have been mistaken for aircraft.

View attachment 622449
I love how the gov’t is always like “it was just weather balloons!”
Same refrain for 80 years now apparently…

To be an alumni he sure likes to see us suffer and doesn't seem to want us to succeed. I can't stand that guy, he's a bammer to me, thru and thru. To me he's one of the media that roots for our demise. I didn't have the good fortune to attend our great state university, but I am a Tennessean, and that is my school. Even over the last 15 years of wandering thru the wilderness I never had any less pride in my Tennessee Volunteers. That man is a Benedict Arnold and deserves to be tried for treason. Rant over. Sorry, I got all riled up.

I agree with that one guy though, things have changed and the old guard might as well get used to it. NIL isn't going anywhere
I’m an alum also, and even though I realize it’s his job (Finebaum’s) to be a butthole and get people listening, he still makes me mad 😂 I’m pretty sure I couldn’t talk smack against UT and have people believe it, so he may just genuinely be a butthole

Finebaum is a bandwagon whore, he’ll be all about being a Vol if we start dominating.
Nope. No way, shape, or form of bandwagon fans are allowed.

Brand the bammers with their big red A. Either worn, tattooed, or actually branded.

Those of us who suffered through the dark times will never again suffer from the fools who spat upon our Vols when we were down. 😡

I rarely watch him, but it has been very interesting watching Pawl change his thoughts on this case. When it first started, he was like Forde and company. NCAA gonna whack TN good this time. Then he started having lawyers and people like Adam Sparks on that all told him the NCAA is going to lose bigly. He continued to rail for rhe past couple of weeks about Saban needing to step in and become some kind of grand poobah of CFB to save it. Then today happened.

He then kept saying the NCAA will obviously appeal. Guest after guest today kept telling him there was no reason to appeal unless they deliberately want to sqander more $ or just be obtuse. Three different people told him the only thing the NCAA has left is to plead Congress to ignore Gaza, ignore Ukraine, ignore the border, ignore the 24 election and come put the NCAA at the head of the line and save them (which they invoked in their response).

One guy even told Pawl that him and his generation need to grasp that things have changed today and it is never going back. You could see Pawl's face kind of go more pale than usual. It has been highly entertaining and not having to listen to Jim, Iman, or Legend calling in has been an added bonus!
That is the frightening thing is the amount of boomers that keep their heads buried in the sand over NIL and want to go back to the old ways.

Dance became an expensive 1 hour babysitting affair moneymaker for the Academy. I wont share names but literally they'd herd them in a room and have teenage girls teach them. The outfits were also marked up way high, as to make money.

They werent getting anything out of it. Days of being an exceptional dance school are gone. Really wouldve had to pay another separate gymnastics class + tumbling.

No thx.
Depends on the studio and situation. My daughter dances competition so it is choreographer led. Not quite as ridiculous as some of the huge studios, but I could make a car payment with her instruction and other fees. It is her passion though so...

I personally felt and continue to believe that it should be 8 teams and no one gets a bye. There's no bye in March Madness and imo there should be no bye.
If Tennessee was team 9-12, would you reconsider?

It’s just a query. Worst case scenario we’ll be #2.
But only because there’s 2 undefeated teams at playoff time and well you know that the media will put us as low as possible.

15-0 🤠

VN Store

Back