Recruiting Football Talk VII

A key reason why the TRO was not granted is because while athletes are not able to obtain their true NIL value, the harm is monetary damages and not irreparable, the judge writes.

Anyone know if the damage has to be "irreparable" for TN/VA to get the injunction on the 13th?

Raquel is the Spanish and Portuguese translation of Rachel, from the Hebrew Bible. (I know you know that, McGill, but for anyone else.) It's a pretty name. The most famous American Raquel insofar as I know was Chicago-born Raquel Welch, whose father was from Bolivia. Her name was Jo Raquel Tejada. She was named for her paternal grandmother. She had a cousin who became President of Bolivia.

I don't know why I said all that. 😂
I didn't name her after Raquel Welch, but I did always love the name...we just picked it because I always thought it was pretty and unique and my ex agreed.

We agreed to each pick one of her two names and she wanted to name her after her mother, so I picked Raquel.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the damage has to be "irreparable" for TN/VA to get the injunction on the 13th?
Based on what little I know about law, I would argue they are. If the NCAA is threatening action that hinders our ability to do X, Y, and Z (in this case recruiting), through such things as bans, scholarship reductions, etc., then I would argue that’s irreparable harm.

Reactions: Volunteer821
I don't think UT has received the NOA, just been told it's coming.
Thought I'd read in a couple of place that they'd received the notice, and that's what we responded to. (Also why we know what to respond to.)

If we'd gotten no notice, we wouldn't know that it's about Nico/plane/Spyre/Booster claims/etc...

Yea rite if this is going to be the rule just put every team in country on probation now..
That is kind of the point of Danny White's public response. Literally every team in the country is guilty right now, its absurd and unhelpful to fixing the problem to go after certain teams.

I didn't name her after Raquel Welch, but I did always love the name...we just picked it because I always thought it was pretty and unique and my ex agreed.

We agreed to each pick one UF her two names and she wanted to name her after her mother, so I picked Raquel.
My mother's name is Rachel..named after her grandmother

Based on what little I know about law, I would argue they are. If the NCAA is threatening action that hinders our ability to do X, Y, and Z (in this case recruiting), through such things as bans, scholarship reductions, etc., then I would argue that’s irreparable harm.
Judge said, "Since it's monetary, it's not irreparable."

IOW, they can always go back and sue for that money after the fact.

Another interesting note from the Judge: "There is sufficient evidence that the NCAA's NIL-recruiting ban likely harms competition."

Also
The court found the states have a likelihood of success on the merits of the antitrust claim (meaning the NCAA #NIL rules likely violate antitrust law), but found there is no irreparable harm. Which is why the TRO was not issued. The TRO not being issued isn’t damaging to the merits of the rest of the case based on what I’ve seen.

Just means damages/ harm players may incur from now to the 13th isn’t of such a special and irreparable nature to issue a TRO.

According to UT and the NCAA, that is factually incorrect. "We" did no such thing. Spyre flew him on a plane that they paid for, and the NCAA is in possession of the receipt that proves it. They also have testimony from everyone involved that says it wasn't a recruiting trip.

The NCAA just redefined the definition of "booster" after the fact and is trying to punish UT for what Spyre did.
I think we said the same thing, but ok. Agree they had not defined the discussion at the time of the flight. Even if they had defined the issue is it limits player opportunity.

Another interesting note from the Judge: "There is sufficient evidence that the NCAA's NIL-recruiting ban likely harms competition."

Also
The court found the states have a likelihood of success on the merits of the antitrust claim (meaning the NCAA #NIL rules likely violate antitrust law), but found there is no irreparable harm. Which is why the TRO was not issued. The TRO not being issued isn’t damaging to the merits of the rest of the case based on what I’ve seen.

Just means damages/ harm players may incur from now to the 13th isn’t of such a special and irreparable nature to issue a TRO.

Judge said, "Since it's monetary, it's not irreparable."

IOW, they can always go back and sue for that money after the fact.
But that’s in this particular case regarding the restraining order for NIL. Isn’t the thing on the 13th more about stopping the NCAA from going after us until the lawsuit is settled?

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

VN Store

Back