Recruiting Football Talk VII

Or maybe we didn't and Spyre is being stingy with other people's money.

Wild speculation is the result of doing all of these deals behind closed doors. Meanwhile I can go to UTK's website and figure out what every one of their faculty members are being paid. Just sayin'...
Players are not state employees - yet

Reactions: drvenner
Others are dismissing it like these aren't legit studs. I am not saying UGA won't be perfectly fine, but they are losing legit contributors and quality depth.

Whether UGA is perfectly fine remains to be seen. Next year's schedule is tough. Here's my opinion of what they've lost in the portal so far (future portal losses could obviously change my mind). Most players who've announced weren't "legit contributors and quality depth" during their time at UGA. Any or all of them could presumably still be developed to that level, but they wanted to speed up the process or be paid to wait.

On defense, Dumas Johnson was a starter until he got hurt, so that's a loss. In preseason he was expected to enter the 2024 draft, so they were expecting that loss but would definitely have liked to have him back. Xavien Sorey and Marvin Jones were contributors, with 31 tackles between them. Jones may have developed into a starter with more experience but has never looked irreplaceable to me. Sorey's future prospects at UGA were fading, IMO, and that had seemed the case for a while. The other six defensive transfers, Darris Smith, Jonathan Jefferson, Carlton Madden, Nyland Green, EJ Lightsey, and AJ Harris, were used almost exclusively for garbage time and had 22 tackles combined in 2023. I thought AJ Harris had the most potential of that group, but he apparently wasn't happy with his likely position and/or role next year and his playing time disappeared in mid-season. That's always a risk with highly rated recruits.

None of the announced offensive transfers played much of a role this year. Obviously Vandagriff was important for depth, but his actual game contribution was meaningless. The rest were way down the depth chart. Blaske is a promising OL by all accounts, but he was injured early and never saw meaningful action.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangenSC and JT3
Baron is dead to me.

I don’t hold ill will towards pretty much anyone who portals out - but he’s just a douche and has always been one. Multiple portal trips. Diva on the field. Turns his back on his own city to go to fkn oxford?

Loser. VFL status and perks surrendered imo.
1702770217305.gif

VN Store

Back