Recruiting Football Talk VII

Nice I’d rather roll with younger talented players even if there is a learning curve. Now what about portal additions? We just going to roll with an inexperienced secondary next year, which I think will have some talent just young, or are we going to add some quality pieces? Is this the Pruitt players exiting and Heupels first class being so weak that’s giving us no depth? Why no traction late in recruiting or portal?
Yeah, we need to pick it up in the portal. Didn't lock down Staes this weekend. Still in a good spot there, but it's never ideal when you shoot your shot and a recruit wants to keep looking and visiting.

Yeah, we need to pick it up in the portal. Didn't lock down Staes this weekend. Still in a good spot there, but it's never ideal when you shoot your shot and a recruit wants to keep looking and visiting.
So what you’re saying is our staff told Jolly no and we dont have the TE in the boat, brilliant move by our staff

I’m glad you said it. Just doesn’t seem like we’re aggressive enough.

5 DBs in the portal with a total of 20 years experience at TN and just 7 INTs combined...

Seems like the staff is moving forward with the youth movement after seeing 3 years of "not good enough" production.

All the best to the guys leaving, all are VFLs in my opinion except Luttrell (was only here one year). Hopefully the rest of the guys at least finished/finish up their degrees.

I like Heupel and am not calling for him to get fired so gonna say that on the front end but I think this is where Heupel falls behind and we become a middle tier SEC team. He doesn’t treat the players like a business like Kirby, Saban, etc. do to compete for NCs. They (Kirby/Saban) are cut-throat and will do what they need to at all costs to be in the upper echelon. No matter if they have to run kids off to bring in more elite talent. That is not Heupel and I don’t see him changing.

Reactions: Jack Burton
How many DB's you need on the field at any one time against Iowa? They probably run 12 personnel most of the time and maybe even some 22.
Ferentz has put out a bunch of TE's to the NFL though.

I like Heupel and am not calling for him to get fired so gonna say that on the front end but I think this is where Heupel falls behind and we become a middle tier SEC team. He doesn’t treat the players like a business like Kirby, Saban, etc. do to compete for NCs. They (Kirby/Saban) are cut-throat and will do what they need to at all costs to be in the upper echelon. No matter if they have to run kids off to bring in more elite talent. That is not Heupel and I don’t see him changing.
Isn't that exactly what's happening with the recent portal entries?

I’ve been thinking the same thing. He may be our Mark Richt.

Think part of it was they wanted to see where we are with departures. They don't seem to be lobbying hard to keep anybody that's set on going like they did last year. Guess they either know who they want and like their chances or think they have plenty of time to pick up the slack. There are a lot of options for depth players; it's the difference makers where being aggressive matters.

He works very well with what he’s given. LIBERTY MEDIA is cheap, yet he’s got them paying a luxury tax.
You play with the hand you're dealt...

Really surprised me how AF who was GM of Rays and pinched pennies so well...
Came to Dodgers and now is like a kid in a candy store.....

Isn't that exactly what's happening with the recent portal entries?
Not necessarily but I guess time will tell. We’re simply not paying guys because they straight up are no good and they have an over-inflated value of themselves. We aren’t brining in studs to replace anyone to get better overall so I don’t think it’s necessarily the same thing. They could very well be counting on the young guys but they gotta start plugging some holes with experienced players. Something’s gotta give if we want to truly compete for NCs like we say we do.

The guys leaving are the ones who didn't hear what they wanted to hear in the exit interviews. Everybody wants something-- a promised position, a move up the depth chart, more NIL $$-- and not everybody's getting it. UT wants anyone not all-in to be out this week so they can start bowl practice with a clear focus.
I’m not hurt over anyone leaving other than Slaughter. I thought he could be a great safety. But it is what it is.

Let’s go crush recruiting and the portal.

So projecting starters for Iowa

If healthy likely to play, been starting in secondary all season
Gabe Jeudy-Lally
Jaylen McCollough
Wesley Walker

Have missed time with injuries and may not be available
Kamal Hadden - assuming he's going to just get healthy for draft
Christian Charles - likely starts at STAR if he's healthy

Will play some
Andre Turrentine (R-So)
Jourdan Thomas (So) - might be starting STAR and Charles as the other CB
Christian Harrison
Will Brooks (walk-on, but has played a lot)
William Wright

True Freshmen
Cristian Conyer
Rickey Gibson III
Jordan Matthews
John Slaughter

Think part of it was they wanted to see where we are with departures. They don't seem to be lobbying hard to keep anybody that's set on going like they did last year. Guess they either know who they want and like their chances or think they have plenty of time to pick up the slack. There are a lot of options for depth players; it's the difference makers where being aggressive matters.
And therein lies the problem. We seem averse to chase the actual difference makers, and content with "depth pieces". I hope that changes. Especially on defense where we could use some more difference makers.

VN Store

Back