Recruiting Football Talk VII

If my experience was equivalent to that of Willie Martinez, would you trust my opinion? No you would not. So why does it matter?

But to answer your question, my credentials are that I am the proud recipient of two eye balls and a brain. Let’s not pretend like I’m the only person who sees an elite cornerback in this kid.
Contrary to unpopular opinion. Willie Martinez has nearly 40 years of experience coaching, including stints at 7 P5 programs. Resume includes 7 conference championship games, 22 bowl games, and has 6 picks taken in last three drafts.

Ill defer to UTK.EDU for that info.

Point being, when he was hired. NO ONE wanted to coach this defense. Is he Nick Saban with DBs? Will Muschamp? No.

We are getting better in the secondary. This year alone we are more athletic.

I think the criticism of not playing more talented plyers at safety sometimes is accurate. But demonizing WillieMo is a lazy take. The jury is out for rest of the year though, if we **** the bed against conference teams, then reevaluate.

One thing is for sure, we have to have better success with upper crust recruits DL, OL, and DB on the trail. That is a good criticism.

Last edited:
If you go by the theory that the SEC refs work to get at least one team in the playoffs, then Georgia has Mizzou, Ole Miss and us at our house on the schedule. Unfortunately, the refs weren't kind to us the last few games so maybe they are just blind when it comes to the VOLS.
Or maybe they don't have an agenda, they're just bad, so it appears to be bias occasionally.

VN Store

Back