Recruiting Football Talk VII

I don’t mind this rule…. Kickers had gotten so good…. the return had almost went away…. This rule was instituted in the XFL and 90% of all kickoffs were returned.
I do like that, miss seeing returns. Also miss that hit against Cal in ‘06 on the opening kickoff slobber knocking their starting TE out of the game, and thus starting the route.

Guess no more onside kicks.

"With the new kickoff rule passing, that means the NFL will also be getting a new onside kick. Since the kickoff HAS to make it to the receiving team's 20-yard line to be considered in play, that means the NFL's previous onside kick rule can't be used.

So how do you fix that? Under the new rule, onside kicks will only be allowed in the fourth quarter, and only if a team is trailing. Also, the team that wants to attempt the onside kick will have to "declare" that it's trying it. This will eliminate the surprise onside kick."

I don't like the new onside kick rule so keep it out of college football.

I like it
do you like the new onside kick off rule that comes with it?

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero

No surprises: The new kickoff rule crafted by NFL special teams coordinators would allow teams to attempt an onside kick only when trailing in the fourth quarter — and require them to declare it in advance, per sources.

Language still being finalized and owners must approve.

If the kickoff team declares they’re attempting an onside kick, they potentially could be allowed to utilize an unbalanced (6x4) formation, raising odds of recovery. Just 5.2% were recovered in 2023 and there just two surprise onside kicks, thanks largely to run-ups being banned.

VN Store

Back