Recruiting a worry

We lost two 4*, that are connected to Harrison Bailey. I fear Bailey may follow them to LSU. Their Heisman Candidate is a senior, and the QB job will be wide open, with a much more proven supporting cast, on both sides of the ball. Legitimate fears. But, we did go after them, and they did commit, only to de-commit.
He will go to UGA before LSU

Reactions: kbear01
OP, you’re not 100% wrong. This is just poorly timed. For one thing Pruitt has just come off his signature win. If we’d have lost by 2 scores Saturday u wouldn’t get near the backlash. Also, two pretty highly ranked guys in Hardy and Baron seem ready to pull the trigger. If we hold on to who we have, get Hardy and Baron and Thomas and maybe a guy like Oxendine, we’d be much closer to where we need to be. With a Washington or Jarrett we’d be top 8-10. Cause you’re right, 20th overall won’t cut it. And piece of future advice, if you go against the grain here, you will get obliterated.

We are like 14th on star rating. They only count 20. When we fill out we will move up. If we close strong we may get couple other guys. Then if there is coaching movements that could open door for some other guys too. We are fine. We have been the worst program in the sec for 10yrs. We all want to recruit with bama and georgia but let's get in the top half of the sec first. Develop some guys, win some games, and work out way up. This was never going to be quick. There is not another major power program that has fallen as low and hard as TN the last 20yrs. We are trying to go from teams that losr to Vandy consistently to teams that can compete with Bama. Gonna take some time

Nah. We need the right kind of players. If we have any openings, I'd still like to get another big back and maybe a grad transfer or juco qb for next year.
We need pass rushers more than any other position.

Losing a guy whose brother is literally begging him to decommit from the team every day is not the fault of this staff, these guys are some of the highest rated recruiters before they came here, and had a quality class last year despite the circumstances. Complaining about our recruiting with this information, before NSD is just asinine.

Complaining about recruiting and stating facts easily found on the internet are two totally different things. One of the very first comment I made on this thread was to judge the class this soon is impossible. I even stated I hope he pulls together a good class. Is this comment directed at me or anyone complaining?

Complaining about recruiting and stating facts easily found on the internet are two totally different things. One of the very first comment I made on this thread was to judge the class this soon is impossible. I even stated I hope he pulls together a good class. Is this comment directed at me or anyone complaining?
It was of course directed at the numerous threads and their posters complaining about recruiting, we lose one highly rated recruit and the sky is falling Pruitt is terrible ect. The info that's out there on the guy and his family, not sure we wanted him here anyway. He said in an interview his brother was in his ear everyday begging him to decommit from UT and commit to LSU.

Yeah... I guess he did. I had forgotten that he did play as a true frosh, with the time he missed. The fact is, no coach we have ever had struggled to develop offensive linemen to the extent that Butch Jones and his staff did.
How quickly some forget.

It's a little early to say he's missed or it's a bad recruiting class. After the early signing period, that's when we will know. But right now, 20th nationally and 8 in the SEC. That's not very good at all. The problem is, you have a bunch of people wearing orange tinted glasses on here that are very quick to denounce anyone who talks out against Pruitt.

Or people realize that recruiting doesn’t stop until the papers are signed. The problem is, people who constantly complain about everything.

Or people realize that recruiting doesn’t stop until the papers are signed. The problem is, people who constantly complain about everything.

First of all, you know the people who are complaining, just don't read their stuff. Pretty simple actually. If you see a comment that you don't agree with, don't allow it the trigger you, just ignore it. Life will be so much better for you that way.

Secondly about recruiting. According to Forbes Magazine 72% of all recruits sign on the early signing day. They estimate up to 80% this year. That's the importance of the early recruiting.. We are currently nationally 20th and currently eighth in the SEC. He still has a month-and-a-half so I will Reserve judgment until then.

I hope you are right.
I am pretty sure one of the brothers committed to UT, a while back. But his brother has pulled him away, to LSU.
His brother’s at UGA. Not sure how we LOST an uncommitted recruit we weren’t even a favorite for (Gilbert).

Reactions: vols40
It was of course directed at the numerous threads and their posters complaining about recruiting, we lose one highly rated recruit and the sky is falling Pruitt is terrible ect. The info that's out there on the guy and his family, not sure we wanted him here anyway. He said in an interview his brother was in his ear everyday begging him to decommit from UT and commit to LSU.

Tennessee 2020 Football Decommits

My bad, 2 decommits...

If Harrison Bailey has been watching the games then he sees that there are 2 QBs far better than JG yet JG plays. He might be thinking JG is a lock for next season and that Pruitt won't give him an early shot at playing.

At this point if I'm representing a QB I tell them go any where but Tennessee.

If Harrison Bailey has been watching the games then he sees that there are 2 QBs far better than JG yet JG plays. He might be thinking JG is a lock for next season and that Pruitt won't give him an early shot at playing.

At this point if I'm representing a QB I tell them go any where but Tennessee.
Good thing you went professional with that 7-11 clerk thing.

Reactions: bullet20
recruiting is weak, even with the bad start very disappointed. Wiffed on most our big names really, butch jones staff recruited better. Way better...no way we break top 15. I don’t even see us chasing the 5 star talent this year.
Yeah numbers aren’t everything but we are not recruiting well at all right now. We may be better next year but prob dip again. Pruitt needs results next year or may get worse. I hope to be proven wrong and they cobble together a respectable sec class. Just sucks to be 9 or 10th in sec

Our recruiting under Pruitt so far has been solid, though not spectacular. I'm very impressed at this point in the season with what he's done with what he's got. OL and DL are night and day better than in opener. I trust Pruitt to get the kids he wants, that are a good fit, and will develop. They say Saban doesn't just look at 40 times and bench presses, but goes after the kids with the right mentality - team players, want to contribute, will take direction. I suspect Pruitt learned a thing or two from Saban in his many years at bammer.

VN Store

Back